• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Elements 12 and HEVC codec

New Here ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently using Premiere Elements 12 and until now it has satisfied my requirements.

I have been sent an MP4 file and when I open a new project it only plays the music without playing the video.  When I try and play the MP4 file outside of Premiere Elements I received a popup message saying it needs an HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding) extension.

It there a file that can be installed on Premiere Elements 12 which will enable me to work with this MP4, or does this now mean I must upgrade to the latest version of Premiere Elements.

This also make me ask a secondard question.           Will the latest version already have this codec in the package?

Please forgive my lack of knowledge on this subject. I hope someone can help to steer me in the right direction.

Many thanks

Dave

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Dave,

The HEVC (aka H.265) codec was not supported until version 2020.  The code in 2020 is written to use the HEVC codec that is installed on your computer.   With a Mac, it is part of the operating system.  With a Windows PC it has to be installed.  Oddly you have to buy it for 99 cents from Microsoft!  

A less costly work around is to use the (free) program called Handbrake to convert the file to the more common H.264 codec that can be edited in your version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

The HEVC (aka H.265) codec was not supported until version 2020.  The code in 2020 is written to use the HEVC codec that is installed on your computer.   With a Mac, it is part of the operating system.  With a Windows PC it has to be installed.  Oddly you have to buy it for 99 cents from Microsoft!  

A less costly work around is to use the (free) program called Handbrake to convert the file to the more common H.264 codec that can be edited in your version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information.  I'll try Handbrake and see how that goes.

Failing that I guess it's finally time to spend some money and upgrade to the latest version of PE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for your great advice.  I converted the MP4 file using Handbrake which created a M4V file.  I imported that into Premier Elements and then created a DVD and also an MP4.  Both worked perfectly, so yet again I'm able to continue using my old version of Premiere Elements.  I'm sure atsome point I will upgrade to the latest version, but the version I have does everything I need, at least for now it does.  🙂

Thanks again for your help

Kind regards

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AP2020 can import HEVC files but I have a plenty of isses with them. For that reason I always transcode to H264

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have PE 2020 and still get an error message opening a video file sent from person with iPhone.  Why hasn't 2020 been updated for PhotoShop Elements 2020 and Premier Elements 2020 to support these iPhone formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines