Highlighted

Using videos on "External Media" without importing them

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just grabbed premiere elements 20 since Pinnacle Studio has given me issues for years. So far Premiere has been great, but seems to have one fatal flaw that is making it unusable to me. I run encryption software that acts like a removeable drive. After I "unlock" my encrypted drive it shows up as a drive in windows which gets treated like removeable media. My issue is that I have several Terabytes of clips on this encrypted drive that I need to use in Premiere, but it wont let me use them without importing them first. I DO NOT want to have to copy the files off the encrypted drive to another location just to use them in premiere since this would defeat the purpose of me using encryption. I will always have the encrypted drive running so premiere has access to the files when editing / rendering. Is there anyway I can trick premiere into thinking my encrypted drive is a network drive and not removeable media?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Using videos on "External Media" without importing them

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just grabbed premiere elements 20 since Pinnacle Studio has given me issues for years. So far Premiere has been great, but seems to have one fatal flaw that is making it unusable to me. I run encryption software that acts like a removeable drive. After I "unlock" my encrypted drive it shows up as a drive in windows which gets treated like removeable media. My issue is that I have several Terabytes of clips on this encrypted drive that I need to use in Premiere, but it wont let me use them without importing them first. I DO NOT want to have to copy the files off the encrypted drive to another location just to use them in premiere since this would defeat the purpose of me using encryption. I will always have the encrypted drive running so premiere has access to the files when editing / rendering. Is there anyway I can trick premiere into thinking my encrypted drive is a network drive and not removeable media?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 15, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only thing I can say alway leave it 'unlocked'.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 16, 2019 0
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The encrypted drive is always unlocked (when needing information off of it). The issue is that Premiere sees the encrypted drive as "Removable" and wont let me use the videos on it without the video importer trying to copy the files. I have over 5 tb of media on the encrypted drive and I do NOT want it copied to another location.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 16, 2019 0
Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you ingesting.

I double click in the Project Assets to add media.

It opens explorer, navigate to desired folder and import. It does not copy/paste or whatever.

Media is never imported into the program, all it does is making an reference/temp file to the media.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 16, 2019 0
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I do project assets, choose add media, browse using explorer and navigate to the file or files, as soon as I click the open button it brings up a dialog saying I am trying to import media from a removeable media and I need to use the "Video Importer" or "Photo Importer". The only options are to open one of the importers or click cancel. 

As a test I copied the file from my encrypted drive to one of my regular network drives and premiere has no problem seeing and using the file that way without running the "Video Importer".

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 16, 2019 0
Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah I see. Have no idea how to set it to none removeble.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 16, 2019 0