• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Discuss : AMD Hardware Accelerated Encode for H264/HEVC

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the latest Adobe Premiere Pro Beta build we have enabled Hardware Accelerated Encoding through AMD GPU card.

If you have AMD GPU card on your Windows machine, you will be able to use this feature.

To enable this option, select H.264/HEVC from the Format drop-down under Export Settings. Then under the Video tab, go to Encoding Settings and set the Performance to Hardware Encoding. Setting it to Software Encoding will disable hardware encoding and Adobe Premiere Pro won't use AMD HW to encode the media. Please see attached screenshot.

Feature is enabled in Adobe Premiere Pro Beta, Adobe Media Encoder Beta and Adobe Premiere Rush.

Please try out the feature and share your feedback.

TOPICS
Feedback , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Hi Everyone,

AMD Encode support is now available in the released (non-Beta) versions of:
- Media Encoder 14.2
- Premiere Pro 14.2
- Premiere Rush 1.5.12

Thank you to all for your feedback during the Feature Development. 

Thanks

Brajesh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My technical understanding is too limited to understand your reply. In simple words please let me ask: Do I have any advantage through some kind of new hardware encoding with the new version of PP with my i MacPro? If yes, how to activate that? If no, when will you have a similar upgrade for Mac users?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your Query. This feature- AMD HW encoding is for Windows which is enabled in 14.2 release. For Mac/ iMac Pro users, HW encoding is already implemented. With current release- 14.2 there is no impact on Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I have a MacPro with AMD Radeon Pro Vega 2 and when I select hardware encoding an error appears that my system does not support hardware acceleration. What should I do? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your query. Though 14.2 release doesn't impact th Mac Pro behaviour but for now you can encode via Software encoding. Also, please share the encode settings with which you are trying to encode and refer to this link for more detail - https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-all-about-hardware-encoding-in-premiere-pro-14-2/m-p...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I was wondering if a laptop with a Ryzen 4800hs with 1650ti would be able to render H.264 and if it would have good video playback performance in the timeline in After Effects and Premiere Pro. Would love to get your response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hansen,

Thanks for your Query. So with the exitsting Premiere Pro 14.3.1 release, the export will be much faster for both H.264 and HEVC  files due to the AMD encode feature being added. For the video playback performance in the timeline in After Effects and Premiere Pro, it will be same as previous versions for now. Though, in future releases the playback performance will be better as we are working towards it.

Regards

Neha Chaudhary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neha,

I recently purchased a MBP 13" and have the AMD 5700XT connected to it. The laptop recognizes the card, however I'm curious to know if Premiere recognizes this card when you chose to export with the "hardware encoding" option. I have turned on "egpu" in all areas (get info / prefs / proj settings), however my Activity Monitor doesn't show the AMD being utilized when I'm exporting an H.264 file. So is the "hardware" referring to the Mac's internal graphics card? 

Thanks,

PD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PD,

Thanks for your Query. This feature- AMD HW encoding is for Windows which is enabled in 14.2 release. For Mac/ iMac Pro/MBP users, HW encoding is already implemented using VideoToolbox for HW encoding. With current release- 14.2 there is no impact on Mac users.

-Regards

Neha Chaudhary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone!
I have found a bug! When I use my Panasonic S1H video camera and record 4K 10-bit H.264 5.9K 10-bit H.265, then encoding cannot be accelerated. I believe the system cannot processes the high resolution files.

Computer Specifications:

• Processor - AMD 1700X
  • System Memory: 32GB
  • OS Windows 10
  • Hard Drives: 500GB Boot/Program SSD, 4TB Data, Video Source files on NAS over 10GB Link.
  • Video Card: AMD Vega Frontier Edition with 16GB VRAM, with the latest pro drivers.

You can test this for yourself, as I have the original files from my camera available at this link:

Panasonic S1H H.264 UHD 10-bit Source used hardware encode fine.Panasonic S1H H.264 UHD 10-bit Source used hardware encode fine.Panasonic S1H H.265 UHD 10-bit Source uses hardware encoding just fine.Panasonic S1H H.265 UHD 10-bit Source uses hardware encoding just fine.Panasonic S1H H.265 5.9K 10-bit Source fails to use Hardware Encoding.Panasonic S1H H.265 5.9K 10-bit Source fails to use Hardware Encoding.Hardware Encode Error message.Hardware Encode Error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for your query.

Yes, for  the high resolution files like -5.9K 10-bit H.265,  the encode will work via SW mode as HW encoding capability is dependent on the AMD card capability. For most of the cards tested, the HW encoding capability is till 4 K only and it can be more than that as well if the AMD card is capable. This is as expected.

-Regards

Neha Chaudhary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, if you have more questions, please feel free to ask

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources