• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DISCUSS: Project templates in import mode

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can now start a new project based on a template project in import mode.  It’s common to repeat your same workflow from project to project and pros have learned that  creating a project template speeds things up when getting started and gives you a head start on organization.

Project templates screenshot.png

Project templates close-up.png

Any project file can be used as a template.  The entire project structure will be copied into your new project including all bins, sequences, and media.   Copying the media is handy if you have media that gets reused a lot like intros, graphics, or bumpers.  Essentially, we are creating a duplicate of the project with the new name and location.  Any media that you select during import mode will also be added to the new project, but of course you don’t have to import anything at first.

Here's how it works:

1. Enter import mode by choosing “New project” from the home screen or File > New project.
  2. Give your project a name and location
  3. Browse for a template from the “Project template” dropdown
    - the last 5 projects will be remembered.
  4. Optional – chose some media
  5. Click “Create” in the lower right of the Import mode window

We intend to add the following features.

They’re not quite there yet, but we’re working on it so keep an eye out

• Include a few project templates for different types of projects.
  • Create a folder location on disk where you can add project templates. This way any projects you put in this location will show up in the menu in import mode.

A few question we have for the beta community:

1. What bin structure do you use in your projects?
  2. Do you have common sequence settings you use again and again.
  3. If you have template projects you use and would be willing to share with us, please DM me!

We want to know what you think.  Please join the conversation below.

TOPICS
Feedback , Question

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks pretty cool. How does this function extend to Productions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to see this kind of thing coming in. I'm in the habit of duplicating the whole folder structure on disk, which includes the Project File, each time I start a new project, but I still recommend template projects all the time on various forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you upset with the way it was before? Because honestly it's the same number of button clicks. Name your project, choose where to save it, click Ok. Exactly the same. I have a hard time understanding the hangup. Do you want to be able to start working without naming or saving the project first? Like what you can do with AE? Then that becomes a more general piece of feedback toward Premiere's startup - how it has always been - and not related to the Import page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Neil said. You have always had a popup to name and save the project prior to working. That part is the same as it has been for a decade. The only difference is what is shown below that, and in both cases you have no obligation to interact with that part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can start immediately editing with a current project just as before.

And in Premiere, to start a new project, you have always had to start with the New Project dialog ... type a Name, select a Location, click Create.

Period.

That. Hasn't. Changed.

Only the look of the 'box' you type the Name, select Location, click Create in has changed.

The Export dialog is different, and a right royal pain until you work to get RID of all the stupid presets you'll never use and create detailed ones that you will use. Which can take 10-30 minutes to do, but thankfully, once done it's far less annoying than it is at first.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My memory is "New Project" got the New Project dialog. I can test later today.

Totally get the export page annoyances.

And you can have captions turned on if you save a preset with them turned on. Which is part of why I suggest making highly detailed presets for yourself.

I really, really doubt we'll get the older export dialog back. So taking some time to go through and unstar ALL presets, then making very detailed presets that you will use ... with ALL variants saved as separate well-named presets ... can save a ton of time and much annoyance as you work along.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but I don't understand this post at all ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The whole point of making presets is so you don't need to change anything when you export!

That's what I'm saying, so your reply makes no sense to me. Make detailed presets ... done.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then use a short clip, make a sequence/transcribe. Make your preset. And of course, name them so you know exactly what they do.

Now when you have a sequence with caption, you can use that preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no clue why you'd expect an option to be active that ... wasn't in the sequence. That's a way to indicate at export that you don't have X ... which is itself a useful thing.

And I did create all my exports in one 'sitting' ... including making several sequences to fit preset needs I wanted to make. Yea, it was not my favorite time spent. But done.

It's just a practical thing. Yell all you want, or just make the dashed presets and move on. Your choice. I just wanted to get back working, without the annoying drop-down stuff. So I made the flipping presets.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you're ticked, and I've had my own epic rants here. So feel free to vent, just ... stay polite of course.

First to make sure ... I'm not "Adobe". Just another user.

Second, as I noted ... that button is active only when you have captions for a reason ... so that one doesn't export expecting captions, then get none because there weren't any on the sequence. I haven't checked, but my recollection that was the same in previous versions. I'll try and check on that later.

But that isn't a workaround at all, and although it ticks you off, it seems eminently sensible to me. But then, everyone's mileage always varies.

Neil

Like you, I would much prefer the previous export dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great comments there ... and yea, I'm mostly in agreement with you. But the most fascinating part of NAB for me has always been listening to editors or colorists talking shop, as EVERYONE does it differently.

One TV station had brought all their editors ... and their lead was the guy what trained his four staffers there. And they ALL had very different workflows, even being trained by the same guy delivering the same stuff.

Yup. Humans being very human!  lol

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will this new feature also give users the ability to create a default folder structure of their choice in Windows Explorer/Mac Finder?  If not, I don't see how there would be any benefit in using this vs using the free program Post Haste which does everything mentioned here in addition to creating a proper folder structure for each new project.  Unless I'm missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you planning to have a similar function for productions?

Also the Avid 'favourite bins' feature is very useful. If I mark a bin (ie a project in Adobe productions) as a 'favourite' then it appears in any project (ie a production in Adobe) I open.

Thus my SFX, VFX etc bins appear in every project + are updated as I make changes/additions to them. They are left in the original location (Google Drive for me). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what I wouldnt give for some favorite projects... and the ability to search across an entire production

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Searching the whole production is so needed. Crikey, in my little shop, running all my projects through my annual Production, I can have troubles finding something.

How do you do that in long form or doco work with a few thousand assets?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I prepare my template-projects with several bins for Footage, Grafic, Music and Sequence etc.
  2. I also use the sequences with prenamed audio-tracks and audio routing.

What will be very helpfull when you can name your sequences with the project-name:

I use different sequences in the project, here a sport-production example:

• yymmdd-TeamA-TeamB-PGM
  • yymmdd-TeamA-TeamB-CLF
  • yymmdd-TeamA-TeamB-Online
  • yymmdd-TeamA-TeamB-Online-CLF

So, if you name the project 230322-ABC-DEF und you can place a placeholder eg "$project$" in your sequence-name that will replace the project-name in the sequence it will be a time-saver.

Also helpful: find & replace for sequence-names

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a great first step, but I definitely want to add my voice to the requests to get this implemented for Productions and to get this reflected in folder structure as per the Post Haste note above. Project organization is not isolated to the prproj file. It's a multi-faceted concept that needs to perpetuate throughout the post-production environment in order for it to be truly useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2023 Jun 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folder structure:

1. Media

a. Video

b. Audio

c. Images & animations

d. Others

2. Sequences

- FHD preset

- UHD preset

- 9:16 preset

- 4:5 preset

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One use case is to preload the audio track mixer with plugins set to always good enough parameters if the editor respects the naming convention of the tracks. Mainly compressors and EQ for voice over background sound and music and a global compressor. Could also be done if preloading that was possible at the sequence settings step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2023 Aug 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has gone away for me, any fixes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same, its my favourite new feature

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1: depeniding on template we have a bin structure : 01 OUTPUT , 02 EDITING, 03 RUSHES, 04 AUDIO 05 graphics 07 RANDOM ... and now even extra bin for the caption master template style)

2:  yes depending on the edit and the need in the template is stored another sequence : and audio rooting (like news or Post production)

3: if you want i can send you some templates

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2023 Sep 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to see something that mirrors how project templates work in After Effects.

Changing AEP to AET tells After Effects to open the After Effects template project as a new, untitled project.  If an edit needs to be made to the template project (AET), we change the extention back to AEP, then open, edit, save, and then change the extension back to AET.

So, a PROPROJ file and PROPROT file that work in the same manner (if possible) would be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources