Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DISCUSS: Proxy Improvements – Badges in timeline & watermarks

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Proxy Indication: Proxy Badge in Timeline

We’ve improved the ability to determine the state of proxies in your project!

Quick proxy recap:

What is a proxy?

A proxy is a low-resolution version of your video file used for the editing process

Why create proxy?

To have a lightweight version of media assets that is fast to play back!

How do I create a proxy?

Project Panel: Right click on clip or multiple clips in the project panel –> Proxy –> Create Proxy

OR

Project Panel –> Media Browser –> Click the wrench to the right of the Ingest check box to open Ingest Settings –> Find “Create Proxies” in the drop down menu.

The proxies automatically attach to source clips upon creation.

Learn more about proxies in Premiere Pro on our Helpx page on proxies.

***NEW in Beta Now***

Proxy Badge on Clips w/ Proxy in the Timeline

As of Premiere Pro Beta 22.5 build 008, upon creation of the proxy, you can now tell the state of the proxy for each clip by referring to the proxy badge on the clip(s) in the timeline.

The icon states are as follows:

Grey Icon if there is proxy attached and Toggle Proxies off 
Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 1.53.04 PM.png

Blue Icon if there is proxy attached and Toggle Proxies on

Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 1.54.18 PM.png

Red Icon if proxy is offline (i.e. renamed or deleted).

Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 1.56.20 PM.png

No Icon if no proxies were ever created or proxies were detached.

Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 1.57.04 PM.png

FrancisCrossman_0-1651005363314.png

The badges will appear by default upon proxy creation. To turn these off, you can deselect “Show Proxy Badges” in the sequence’s wrench menu.

FrancisCrossman_1-1651005363325.png

Watermark: Added to proxies at creation

We’ve made it easier for users to add watermarks to their proxies.

This handy feature is in the “Create Proxies” and Ingest “Project Settings” dialog(s).  Adding watermark will be off by default, but once checked it will be sticky for future use. 

FrancisCrossman_2-1651005363330.png

There will be a visible watermark in the lower left corner of the frame.  This is only on the proxies. When proxy playback is turned off, there will be no watermark present on Original Camera assets.

FrancisCrossman_3-1651005363368.png

We want to know what you think.  Please join the conversation below.  

TOPICS
Feedback , Question

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The option to adjust the transparency of the watermark would be nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of this is GREAT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both of these features work well and speaking as someone who works every day with proxies they are both welcome. Personally I'd like the option to NOT burn in a watermark (although I see the benefit for some users so I would advocate for the option to have one) but have a 'virtual' watermark visible on the program monitor when a proxy is in use - so it's quickly clear that's what your dealing with but it can be excluded from export for viewing. 

More importantly I would like to see bugs in the proxy workflow fixed such as the adaptive track isssue in proxies with more than 4 tracks of audio and the issue with proxies not reattaching to clips when they were made with Premiere's own proxy generation tool. All in all the nuts and bolts of proxy need an overhaul more than these new features - but I do welcome them nonetheless. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The watermark burn-in is completely optional.  I like your idea of a virtual watermark overlay.  We've talked about that as well.  Having the permanent watermark is completely unambiguous and there is no potential for confusion.  But I also completely agree that if you want to export your proxies (a totally valid workflow for many reasons) you probably don't want the watermark burned in.  That's why it's optional at the proxy creation stage.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The audio issues you raise are also very valid concerns and we are working on those as well.  We want to provide an option to match the audio channelization of the original which should take care of the audio issues you mention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a question about the visual appearance of the watermark.  What do you think of the color, size, position and opacity?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to chose a consistent place so I think bottom left is as good a place as any other, unless you have subtitles/captions in your project where they will clash. Ideally you should be able to choose top or bottom. 

also they would be less intrusive if they were lower opacity - transparency would mean they block less shots. If I'm being picky the symbol doesn't necessarily say "proxy" to a producer so maybe that design needs a tweak to add the word "proxy" - but to be honest because we work a lot with proxy files and master clips offline in workflows, we couldn't use the proxy watermark at all - it would ruin viewing exports. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the fast feedback!  It's very helpfull.  The reason we didn't go with the word PROXY is for localization.  We'd like a visual solution that works across all languages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that makes sense - I guess really if you ever intend to send viewing copies to a producer you would probably choose not to burn in a watermark. For me the option for a virtual one (essentially an onscreen repeat of the tag in the timeline) would be a valuable option. Also - I find the badges on the timeline layer a bit small.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We made some adjustments to the watermark.  We felt the watermark was too prominant and distracting so we removed the blue box and dropped the opacity.  Most of the time you shouldn't notice it while editing, but if you look for it, it's there.  Any feedback is welcome.

New style

Proxy watermark Gray.png

Old style

Proxy watermark Blue.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the new dimmed proxy watermark. Thank you for making proxy usage more streamlined!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The watermarks : they are bruned in ? Isnt it a possibility to activate the watermark when you activate proxy's in timeline as an overlay and not burned in? So you can use also proxy's as export. (for social or so). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can we make it more visiual then just little badges : 

Like if you editing and you forgot to put some files in proxy, they just show as "media offline" ?

So you directly see there not here, you forgot or deleted or forgot to attach ?

If you Tab the Proxy icon, could it be an option to make this more visual ? like clips in certain color, so you know you in proxy ? 

I have no issues, but because we have 400 editors we see loads of people , not have a good basic skill (and even expierenced editors) I see them make loads mistakes on proxys. 

Indien also the audio stuff is an issue.. Because our hires material can go from 2 to 4 to 6. to 8 channels of audio.. and there all mixed in one project . so you have to always check audio channels (And our archive has items with. 16 channels)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources