• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Now in Beta: Obsolete Effects, Transitions and Presets Removed

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 26, 2024 Jun 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now in Premiere Pro beta, the Obsolete Effects folder and plug-ins, Obsolete Transitions folder and plug-ins, and presets built from the obsolete effects are removed.

These effects and transitions all have faster, modern alternatives either in Premiere Pro, or offered by third parties. Their current usage is extremely low but represent an outsized percentage of project slowdowns and performance bottlenecks. Please see the table below for suggested alternatives.

CAN I OPEN OLDER PROJECTS THAT HAVE OBSOLETE EFFECTS & TRANSITIONS IN 24.6?

Yes. You can open projects made in a previous versions of Premiere Pro that contain the removed obsolete effects and transitions. The effects and transitions will still appear in your sequences, and in the Effects Control Panel on the clips they’ve been applied to, but the Obsolete Effects folder, Obsolete Transitions folder and four Presets folders – Bevel Edges, Solarize, Convolution Kernel and Blurs (Win Only) will not be accessible in the Project Panel.

You can copy and paste your applied obsolete effects and transitions between clips and sequences in your project and continue working with them on new clips and in new sequences you create.

What you can't do is create a new project and access the removed effects, transitions and presets.

PRESETS FOLDERS

The Bevel Edges, Solarize, Convolution Kernel and Blurs (WIN only) folders and effects presets in the Presets folder are removed. Those presets are built from removed obsolete effects. However, if you have applied those presets in your older projects, they will still be visible, active and available on the sequence and in the Effects Control Panel.

CUSTOM PRESETS

Any custom presets you have created and saved in a previous version may be effected if it contains at least one obsolete effect in the chain of effects. Here is what that means for the possible combination of non-obsolete and obsolete effects in a custom preset:

1. If custom preset contains one or more non-obsolete: REMAINS
  2. If a custom preset contains a mix of obsolete and non-obsolete effects: REMAINS
  3. If custom preset contains a single or mix of ONLY obsolete effects: REMOVED

We are encouraging everyone to start using modern, high-performance effects and transitions for a faster, more efficient experience when working in Premiere Pro.

In addition to all the great, modern alternatives to the obsolete effects and transitions within Premiere Pro's tool set, there is an extraordinarily robust and vibrant ecosystem of modern and perfromant third party effects, transitions and filters

Effect Name

Platform

Alternative

Anti-Alias

Win

3rd Party

Arithmetic

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

Lumetri

Auto Color

Win, Mac

Lumetri

Auto Contrast

Win, Mac

Lumetri

Auto Levels

Win, Mac

Lumetri

Bevel Alpha

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

Photoshop PSD

Bevel Edges

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

Photoshop PSD

Blend

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

Blend Modes

Calculations

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

Lumetri and Blending Modes

Camera View

Win, Mac

Photoshop, After Effects

Cell Pattern

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

Photoshop, After Effects

Change Color

Win, Mac

Lumetri

Change-to-Color

Win, Mac

Lumetri

Channel Mixer

Win, Mac

Lumetri

ChannelBlur

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

Blurs

Checkboard

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

Photoshop PSD

Circle

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

Masking Tools

Clip Name

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

Metadata Burn-in

Color Balance

Win, Mac

Lumetri

Compound Blur

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

GPU-native blurs

CompoundArithmetic

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

Blend Modes

Convolution Kernel

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

Lumetri

Difference Matte

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

Blend Mode

Dust & Scratches

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

Gaussian Blur

Ellipse

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

Masking

Emboss

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

Color Emboss

Equalize

Win, Mac

Lumetri

Eyedropper Fill

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

Lumetri

Fast Blur

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

Gaussian Blur

Fast Color Corrector

Win, Mac

Lumetri

Ghosting

Win

Opacity, Speed Effects

Grid

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

Photoshop, Illustrator

Horizontal Hold

Win

3rd Party

Image Matte Key

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

Blend Modes

Leave Color

Win, Mac

Lumetri

Luma Corrector

Win, Mac

Lumetri

Luma Curves

Win, Mac

Lumetri

Median (Legacy)

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

Lumetri, VR-Denoise

Noise Alpha

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

Noise

Noise HLS

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

Noise

Noise HLS Auto

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

Noise

Non Red Key

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

Ultra Key

Paint Bucket

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

Lumetri

Radial Shadow

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

3rd Party

Remove Matte

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

Keyers and Blend Modes

RGB Color Corrector

Win, Mac Intel

Lumetri

RGB Curves

Win, Mac Intel

Lumetri

Set Matte

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

Keyers and Blend Modes

Shadow/ Highlight

Win, Mac

Lumetri

Solarize

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

3rd Party

Solid Composite

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

Generators

Video Limiter (Legacy)

Win, Mac

Video Limiter

Write-On

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

Essential Graphics, After Effects

Texturize

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

3rd Party

Three-Way Color Corrector

Win, Mac

Lumetri

Threshold

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

Lumetri, Color Tools

Timecode

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

Metadata Burn-in

Vertical Hold

Win

3rd Party

Transition Name

Venetian Blinds

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

3rd Party

Flip Over

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

3rd Party

Gradient Wipe

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

3rd Party

Cube Spin

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

3rd Party

Radial Wipe

Win, Mac, Mac ARM

3rd Party

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any plan to replace radial wipe with something? I know clock-wipes are hacky but we use them a lot in animation, at least on my current show. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 27, 2024 Jun 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AndyYoungFilm, 

There isn't any plan, currently, to replace the obsolete radial wipe transition with something. Have you had a chance to look through third party plug-ins? Or have you tried creating your own matte wipe effect in After Effects that you could use as a real-time radial wipe alternative?
Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric,

I've been surprised that these were carried as long as they have been.

That said, there are still things that you list a replacement for that just aren't at all ... like ... Channel Mixer's replacement is ... Lumetri? Here's the Channel Mixer ...

RNeilHaugen_0-1719449867181.png

How in the world do you do channel mixer work in Lumetri? There are no cross-color options in Lumetri at all.  So I would really like a response from you showing how to do channel mixer adjustments in Lumetri, please!

Another point ... the current and staying Noise option is just a limited thing. You have three options ... how much noise, and whether to have color noise or just black dots, and whether to 'clip' the noise. That is it.

Let's look at say Noise Alpha, with just one of the drop down option sets open:

RNeilHaugen_1-1719450259716.png

Or let's look at Noise-HLS ...

RNeilHaugen_2-1719450380968.png

Both of those have useful options not in the simpler Noise effect.

I am disappointed to be losing both the channel mixer and the actually useful noise addition effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Neil, 

The obsolete channel mixer in Premiere Pro was a limited, non-performant legacy plug-in. I have found that using the performant, 32-bit channel mixer in After Effects a much better alternative when I specifically need to do a specific channel mixing operation. I have also found that using Lumetri curves, in combination with the new RGBA channel viewer in Premiere Pro's sequence monitor, a very powerful and accurate way to do per-channel color operations.

ericescobar_0-1719500078976.png

As for the obsolete noise effects, again, those were non-performant effects when compared to the existing GPU-enabled Noise effect an all the other powerful and performant 3rd party noise plug-ins available (I'm a big fan of RedGiant's Renoiser).

Best, 

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Eric,

Thank you for such an informative answer! This is the kind of thing that is actually, and unfortunately, incredibly rare in Adobe documentation. Specifically referring to using the RGB Curves of Lumetri in conjunction with the per-channel view just introduced in the monitor.

I haven't had time to try that, and I'll be on the road until sometime late Monday. That would give perhaps the ability to visually see a change, though I'm mentally struggling to understand how to calculate what's needed.

As to the noising effects ... I've got the full Red Giant suite, and yes, can add noise there. But I could quickly add noise with the HLS version for instance, fairly comparable to the RG option, and quite quickly.

The basic noise effect in Premiere doesn't allow much in the way of truly useful options.

So essentially, for noise, your response indicates that third-party plugins are really the only major option at this point and moving forward. That saddens me some, but ah well, right?

I will be interested in what Alexis brings out first in color changes of course. THAT ... could be intriguing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources