• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

White balance and ISO controls for ProRes RAW.

Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nikon released an update for the Z6 today that enabled metadata for WB and ISO in ProRes RAW. FCPX already has support for this but Premiere does not.

When will this be coming?

TOPICS
Feature request , Feedback , Question

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless Adobe has already made an announcement regarding a release date for a particular feature, it's very unlikely that we'll be able to provide specific dates. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the very least, are you able to say if it's being worked on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We will be looking into this, but have no specific timeline to share at this time.

-Manish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any hope, that this feature will be implemented any time soon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are issues with ProRes RAW outside of Adobesphere that might be part of the issue, I'm not sure of course. But RED has been pretty aggressively going after anyone they see coming close to copying/duplicating their patents on RAW writing/storage and that includes going after ProRes RAW.

In order to get around the legal battles, BlackMagic actually included a partial in-camera debayering process in their camera BRAW process. Therefore it's not exactly the same process as the RED patent describes.

The BlackMagic forums have a ton of comments from users wanting ProRes RAW as an option in the BM cameras as well as wanting better ProRes RAW capabilities in Resolve. Seems to be an issue everywhere.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I understand why BM won't implement ProRes Raw into DR (although I hate that they don't do it!).... however I don't understand it from Adobe's perspective.

I know about the RED Raw patent issues... however, FCPX has managed to give their users WB and ISO controls for ProRes Raw.

So I can't see why it is a RED/Apple issue at this point. 
Come on Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Bruce, would be nice for Adobe to complete the implementation rather than just stall without updating users midway. Would certainly go a long way in building goodwill with those who've spent a fair amount of hours of their time providing feedback and testing the rollout of Prores RAW no?

Come on guys, work with your customers, don't hide behind a wall. Even a "we understand the importance that having access to to this metadata means to Premiere users and while we are don't have a concrete date set, please rest assured we're committed to seeing the full implementation of Prores RAW through". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what wall you think we're hiding behind, as we talk with you directly...? 

You're right; we do understand why it's important to users, and missed an opportunity to say so.

Manish has told you all anyone can, without having an NDA in place. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would gladly sign an NDA to either get beta access to the feature or be sure that it's coming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once it's ready for public testing, you won't need an NDA; we'll put it in the beta. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough, was just surprised that he wrote "we will be looking into this" instead of "we've been working on this". Sorry for my misdirected frustration and keep up the good work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Bruce,

6.5 months now. Is this the speed of business we can expect with you at the helm? I mean, we've been pretty patient and paying a lot of money every month waiting for someone to simply complete this implementation. How about a meaningful update? 

Regards and in awe of whatever excuse that justifies this wait that you come up with,

Ryan Sauvé 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not only that but it appears one of the latest updates screwed with the Prores RAW exposure settings when you switch to the NLog space and add Nikon's LUT. I have to crank the exposure setting to make it look like what I shot. This used to work so congrats to the team. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really disappointed with the Adobe team. It's September already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Three years and still nothing but silence and double speak.  

Curious. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The answers may not have been what you wanted, but calling rather straightforward simple comments "doublespeak" seems an attempt to find nastiness that doesn't exist.

PrPro's support of ProRes RAW ain't what any of us would prefer.

That said, you can use that media in Premiere.

You can't in Resolve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh come on Adobe... You can do this! Please don't make us switch to FCPX 🙏🏼🙈

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joe,

Can you and others on this thread upvote the bug report/feature request here? https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/41469118-prores-raw-iso-whi...

I hope all on this post and those viewing the post can also upvote.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one of the factors that keeps me from switching over to use Premiere Pro as my primary editing tool over Final Cut. Final Cut X is great for working with ProRes and ProRes Raw files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah. I begin thinking to buy a mac!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. It's taking far too long. Looks like adobe isn't listening to their paying customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like never ever. Boo to adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been in an around PrR-RAW threads on a number of forums for different apps & cameras being discussed.

PrR-RAW is still clearly not used by that many people compared to about any other format. Very few cameras or even external recorders allow it as an option. App support seems to vary from modest to zip.

The BlackMagic forums for instance have the same complaints. When is BM actually going to offer full support? Put it in cams and such? With much wailing and gnashing of teeth by PrR-RAW users, and little interest from the other users there.

There is one exception in apps, of course, the House editing app for Apple, FinalCut. Apple does seem to prefer to always be the exception.

Apple is not thought by many to be doing a good job of making their 'new' RAW format ubiquitous. Whether it's a fear of RED lawyers or simply cam makers finding it adding nothing to their 'stable' of user-valued tools, I don't know. I've seen tons of discussions on that subject.

I do know that very early  after the announcement of PrR-RAW, Adobe did bring out the first public beta option for working with that format. But since, there's not been much change. I'm wondering if that isn't simply due to watching the usage numbers for that format among their users. If they're not seeing any spike there, well ... they'll probably keep their development dollars in things where there is user growth.

So the suggestion up above to go to the Adobe UserVoice system and upvote the PrR-RAW threads there is your best bet at the moment. It's the one way users with PrR-RAW can generate the metrics that the M&E people well up above the product people will see and use for their decision process. Those are the people who count such things ... and whose thought's count. Ahem.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources