• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

This file requires the HEVC codec which is included with a Creative Cloud membership. To upgrade...

Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, Adobe Premiere Rush won't import a small H.265 clip. It gives me this error when it opens the folder where the clip resides:

"This file requires the HEVC codec which is included with a Creative Cloud membership. To upgrade to a paid plan, go to..."

I have purchased Rush. I have uninstalled it then reinstalled it. I have signed in and out of Creative Cloud on the Web as well as the desktop app. I still get the error.

Also, the thumbnail of the clip, when trying to start a new project shows "Unable to Load Preview." When I select it and click Create, I get another error message:

"The importer reported a generic error."

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

TOPICS
Desktop version , Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

I believe I found a fix! I reinstalled an older version of Rush. Version 1.5.54 works. The most recent (1.5.62) and the second most recent (1.5.58) both gave me the error.

You can reinstall older versions from Creative Cloud. Click the three dots beside Premiere Rush and then 'Other versions'. Install 1.5.54.

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Macgeekppc,

Sorry! As I understand it, you are working with drone footage. The drone can shoot HEVC in a .mov wrapper or an .mp4 wrapper. If on Windows, please try shooting in the .mp4 wrapper and see if that works for you. If not, you can also try transcoding the footage in Media Encoder or freeware Shutter Encoder.

Edit: @Macgeekppc, are you using HEVC 4:2:2 10-bit footage? It's not supported. That could be the issue. Let us know. The guidance is to transcode to an editing codec or H.264 usi

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 279 Replies 279
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2024 Feb 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least you brought some humour to this frustrating situation.  And a warning that I shouldn't spend the rest of my retirement years floundering with Adobe Support looking for a solution.  Booked a game at the golf simulator instead, thinking that the frustration of bad golf will ease my frustration not being able to edit my Snow Owl videos.  Smashing my thumb with a hammer made my headace disappear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having the same issue while using Windows 10. I am a paid customer and cannot understand why Adobe will NOT just fix the issue instead of asking their customers to waste time attempting to resolve the issue using workarounds. This is insane!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @rickeyw13557106 

Please try this solution suggested below, and let us know it it helps:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-rush-discussions/this-file-requires-the-hevc-codec-which-is-...

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I found a fix! I reinstalled an older version of Rush. Version 1.5.54 works. The most recent (1.5.62) and the second most recent (1.5.58) both gave me the error.

You can reinstall older versions from Creative Cloud. Click the three dots beside Premiere Rush and then 'Other versions'. Install 1.5.54.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is true, it worked for me as well, i tried it today, maybe after seeing your post Jeremy so thanks anyway.

It is amazing Adobe support is not aware of this huge how can we call it, bug or similar? Instead of telling you go to 1.5.54 they waste your time.

After about an hour my agent told me to try the previous version, 1.5.58, i did but failed as the newest one. I did not think of installing "2 versions before"

No more HECV or freeze or crash of RUSH now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also worked for me. 

With version 2.0, it says "unlimited exports for all users!". You would think that this issue would be fixed but no, version 2.0 i still get the HVEC issue. Weird especially because I had exported this exact video a couple versions ago, not sure if it was after 1.5.54.

Cmon adobe, figure this out! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me as well!

Adobe,

While this workaround does solve the problem, it is not a real solution. Using an outdated version of the software is not how this should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed – but the workaround has been marked as the correct answer to this inquiry for now, because it addresses the problem and there is no better solution at this time.

That way, others who search the error message and come across this thread from Google etc., will immediately know what to do in order to take care of the issue and get back to work, without wasting too much time.

(Of course, once Adobe addresses this by updating Rush or some other fix, then we can adjust the correct answer to this discussion.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke too soon. It stopped working... 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine never worked with the downgraded version.  Mine also isn't working by canceling my 2 subscriptions and combining them in the new photography 1T plan that has Photoshop and Rush in the same.  This was tech supports fix and it still is broken. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This still hasn't been resolved in 2.0 and now 1.5.54 no longer works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this as well, however it didn't work for me. I'm on 1.5.54, and I still have issues loading videos from my Hero 7. For now I'm using handbrake to encode the videos. Once I do that they work fine. This is an ok solution for me for part time because I only use the Hero 7 for a few clips in every other video I publish. Can't wait to see a real fix, or I may upgrade to the full suite as I've been debating that for a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works!!! 

I'm new to all things video and you folks have turned my despair into hope that I can do this! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same issue, and downgrading to 1.5.54 didn't work either.  This only seems to happen when I try to upload 5k video from my GoPro Hero 9.  Looks like Adobe has no clue why this is happening or how to fix it from what I can see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its still happening to me with Gopro 11 files in Dec 2022. Maybe there's a connection some how. Cant even use the older Rush it just causes blue screen of death and a reboot now when it used to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, with v1.5.54, January 28th, 2022. Can't believe it's still not fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2022 Apr 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx so much! It means it's a problem that was added with an update... wow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2022 Aug 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm, this seems to still be the only workaround as of August 2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Testing this now! Thankfully, Adobe is absolutely committed to never adding feature updates so they can screw people into upgrading to Premiere Pro, so going back to the old version shouldn't be painful.

Wild... Going back to the old version seemed to result in a performance hit, not too bad though. Also, got a completely new error the first time I tried to render... Changed NOTHING... Second render attempt worked perfectly.
For those who can't get the older version to work, I was also able to get what I needed, albeit at lower quality by loading clips into rush, playing the preview and using the OBS screen capture tool. The codec error didn't have any impact on the process until I tried to render so OBS capture worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2022 Dec 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried that as you said and now my latest project are gone lol, is there any way to recover the work on this version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works like a charm! Version 1.5.54 does the job. Thanks Jeremyh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here; I was able to edit without any issue but now when I use the same content I get the reported error message. Definitly a bug in later versions. I hope they fix this soon.

Print Screen 02.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New problem. 

If I use the older version (1.5.54), it works if you only have a few clips.

I tried a project with over 40 clips, and it started failing 3/4 through and gave me the HEVC. This is repeatable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Rush 2.0 was released yesterday:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-rush/help/whats-new/2022.html

Has anybody who has received the "HEVC codec" message tried the new version yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it still gives me an error message.

This is maddening....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines