• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Naming Images in HTM pages

Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2024 Apr 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using ROboHelp 2022 version for creating help pages. My pages are having lots of images, i need to name as per the topic in that specific page.

Please let me know how to name the images and once we have added names to all the images if i publish again for adding new content, will the image names remain the same or will it get modified like image1, image2..?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 15, 2024 Apr 15, 2024

I did a little test with Frameless output. I copied an image from Word into a topic and saved the topic. I navigated to the assets/images folder in RH and renamed the image from 'image.png' to 'Condition_Dialog.png'. I generated Frameless output and checked the output folder using Windows Explorer. I could see the 'Condition_Dialog.png' image in the output folder.

Can you confirm these are your exact steps?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Apr 22, 2024 Apr 22, 2024

After reinstalling RH 2022 i followed the same steps and it worked exactly as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can name them whatever you want - it helps to have some sort of coding scheme so that you can identify what the image is & where it belongs (just from an organization principle) but RH doesn't care. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have renamed them in the assets/images folder.but still its not reflecting in the help page. then when i generate the output again the name is getting changes to image1.png....is there any way to have the name permanent for any image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, don't know about that - never really cared what they were called in the output - it's in your project that it's important to know what they are. Do they all have unique file names (outside of RH)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are just part of the help pages, so it was a never a problem, but now since the images are more the expectation is to get them named so that its easy for testing or tracking them.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Umm, I'm still not following - can you post a screenshot as to what the image is called in the source topic & what it ends up being called in the output?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no name for the image, its just part of a word document. I am adding that in the RH Help pages. there its getting names as image 1, image 2 like that. so when there are lots of images its difficult to know which image is for which topic. so we want to name them. but its not getting changed at all. Not sure if its possible or not - any ideas are welcome....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, so you're importing a Word doc that has images in it - ok, now it makes sense. No, there's no way for RH to deal with those images automatically other than incrementing the numbering because that's the way they exist in the Word doc. You can see this for yourself by taking a copy of the .docx file and renaming it to .zip and then unpacking it. You'll find a \media\ folder inside that contains all the images (this trick works because MS .docx files are really collections of XML files zipped up).
If you want to give each image a unique name, copy them all out of the \media\ folder and rename them according to your conventions, then remove each image in the imported content in RH and sub back in your newly renamed (unique) image for each one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2024 Apr 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am just copying the images from the word document and placing them topic wise in the help pages. Is it possible to name the images topic wise rather than image1, image2 etc.... this will be helpful in tracking them .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that way - you need to save the images as separate files, name them according to whatever scheme you've designed, and insert them in your RH topic pages. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a little test with Frameless output. I copied an image from Word into a topic and saved the topic. I navigated to the assets/images folder in RH and renamed the image from 'image.png' to 'Condition_Dialog.png'. I generated Frameless output and checked the output folder using Windows Explorer. I could see the 'Condition_Dialog.png' image in the output folder.

Can you confirm these are your exact steps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are the steps to be followed, but i am not able to copy the image if i save it as a png separately. I am able to only copy it from the word document.  So whenever i generate the frameless output the name gets changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2024 Apr 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After reinstalling RH 2022 i followed the same steps and it worked exactly as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2024 Apr 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's a weird one, for sure. Glad you got it sorted out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you mean? I copied the image directly from a Word document into the Robohelp topic and then renamed it in Robohelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are not using the steps I outlined, please list your steps one by one so we can understand what you are doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am doing exactly the same thing, but after i rename the images in the assets/images folder in RH and then after i generate the output, when i go and check in the Output folder the image name is changed back to image 1, image 2... this is my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2024 Apr 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What patch version of RH2022 are you running - latest (Apr 2024) is Patch 3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 2022.3.93 - this is the one i am using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, that's the latest - not sure why it's not working for you. I haven't got RH2022 to test with right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the word document linking feature in Robohelp? Are you using source control? 

Have you checked in the output folder, before publishing, so see if the correct file name is displayed? If the problem is only with the published help on a webserver, perhaps you are encountering a web server caching issue. In this case, you could try clearing your browser cache and viewing the site again in a few minutes, or ask your web server admin to clear the server cache, to ensure the cache is properly cleared. (If you do find it's a caching issue, I can offer some suggestions for minimising the problem going forward.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2024 Apr 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am able to see the renamed image in the assets/images folder. after i generate the output and check in the folder then its getting renamed as image1, image2....maybe i will try to re-install RH and see if it works correctly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you use the Frameless preset like @Amebr did in her test? Maybe it's something to do with the output format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using HTM5 preset as that is my requirement. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you see in the source Assets folder and what do you see in the Assets folder in the output? Your answer isn't clear on that.

Also you are referring to Publish but do you mean the locally generated output or what is on the server?

Please be clear on what is in the three different locations.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp