• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH2020: Generating Output Hangs RoboHelp

Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded from RH2019 (Re-imagined) to RH 2020.0.156 and I can no longer generate my HTML5 output. Selecting Generate in any of my output presets causes the RH screen to go completely white and hang. From that state, while I can still see the menus, selecting Help | Restart RoboHelp does nothing. Ditto for clicking the X icon. I have to close it through the Taskbar or Task Manager.

TOPICS
Output presets

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Try creating a new (not copied) preset & see how that behaves.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try creating a new (not copied) preset & see how that behaves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That also did not work, although it hung in a different way.

As directed, I created a brand new preset using all of the same settings as one of my existing presets. This time, selecting Generate still caused RH to hang, but instead of the screen going white, the pop-up progress box just endlessly spun on "Starting generation..."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The hanging "Starting Generation" is still a problem. (RH 2020, v.7, c.7)

I know of two causes:

• Spaces within a file name (Even with Edit > Preferences > Require underscores disabled.)
  • Redirects from the TOC (links that point outside the project): Remove, Generate to test, and then rebuild the links.

Scenario: Upgraded from RH 2017 to SP 2020.  All projects worked fine, but then gradually decided to fail (perpetual "Starting Generation). Started with RH 2020 v. 6, and continues with v. 7.46. 

Errant Spaces: Going through hundreds of files to look for a misplaced space can strangle the eyeballs. But finding that errant space within a filename usually fixes the "Starting Generation" hangup. It helps to use various methods, including View > Show > (unenable Topics by title). Search for topic names, snippets, images, etc. (everything). Using various Reports provides other views that might be easier on the eyeballs, along with Show in Explorer (search for *.* to view files outside the folders). Recommendation: After finding the fix, enable the underscore requirement under Edit > Preferences.

TOC: Althought the output view (user's html viewpoint) shows a little box with a diagnal icon to indicate links pointing outside the project, the icons look identical within the RH TOC, so this may require more time with many files. 
However, removing the outgoing links solved the generation problem in multiple projects (with all spaces removed from filenames). Test to ensure it works, and then re-add the links. The project I'm working on now worked fine yesterday, but then failed without explanation. Removing the redirects, testing, and then readding solved the problem.

New Preset? It may not hurt, but it didn't solve my problem. Perhaps for others. Make sure presets are set correctly (glossary name, if present, and TOC name display in the preset Content fields). I tried creating a new preset with multiple projects. Each time, I still had to locate the errant spaces or TOC redirect to solve the issue.

Hope this helps someone: Spaces & TOC Outside links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Two more projects failed.
We had tried new presets. We had tried deleting and adding new presets from within RH. No luck.

Here's what worked:
From File Explorer, navigate to the project's "Publish" folder. Delete the .preset file(s).
Then from RoboHelp, add the new preset. That worked for multiple projects.

(both had been upgraded from RH2017 to RH2020)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a known issue there. Close RoboHelp and restart it. This time it should generate using the new preset.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Jeff and Peter. Restarting RH and selecting my new preset worked. So, I should recreate my eight presets, close RH, and open it again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you need to recreate them. You only need to close and reopen if it sticks at Starting Generation.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is continuing to happen. Rebilding the presets is no longer working. I've rebuilt two. I was able to generate the first one. The second one continues to either hang or make the screen go white. Initially, closing RH helped. That did not work for the second preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bearing in mind another problem you had, try generating without a condition expression applied. I realise that will not be a solution but it might help in tracking down the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, do you want me to create a new preset without a conditional expression and generate or do you want me to remove a conditional expression from an existing preset and generate? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the existing one first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I removed the condition expression from an existing preset, as you requested, saved it and generated, and it now freezes while on "Indexing references." 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't keep your project so please send again. You know how. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I generated the preset you suggested and it worked fine. I then tried half the others with the same result. Finally I went back to the first one and still no trouble.

It looks to be a local issue and I'm not sure what to suggest. Try generating to a different folder and one not in your user profile. C:\OutputName.

Beyond that has anything changed locally? Different anti-virus? Have you spoken to your IT people to see if they have done anything? Your project is on a local drive? 

If it continues I think you may need to try Support. Sorry but I just cannot replicate the problem.

I'll keep the project for a little while in case you want me to try anything specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, shoot. No, nothing has changed locally. My project is in C:\1 RoboHelp\InformaCast Fusion_rh2019. My outputs are in C:\1 RoboHelp. My output paths are in C:\1 RoboHelp\OutputPaths. This was all the same in RH 2019 and I'd assume would work fine in RH 2020. As far as I know, there's no different anti-virus things installed although I can ask. 

As for something else to try, would you make changes in several different files (it doesn't matter what), save, and try generating again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that "C:\1 RoboHelp\" path with the space in there a good idea? I'd avoid spaces just to be safe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff. Fair point, although it's never been a problem before...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changed three topics. Still generating just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

😞

I also checked with IT and they said nothing had changed recently with anti-virus stuff.

So, I guess I remove some spaces from some folders and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is not within the project as it generates for me. As Jeff has pointed out, look at where you are generating to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused. Jeff pointed out that 1 RoboHelp might possibly be the problem. That's the folder my project is within: C:\1RoboHelp\InformaCast Fusion_rh2019\InformaCast Fusion.rhpj. My output paths are in C:\1 RoboHelp\OutputPaths (and those sub-folders don't have spaces). So, should I remove the space between 1 and RoboHelp as well as InformaCast Fusion_rh2019?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The folder that contains your project doesn't matter as everything is within that. What matters is files and folders in the project, Rh doesn't allow spaces there and the folder you output to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So 1 RoboHelp and InformaCast Fusion_rh2019 don't matter for spaces in folder names, but anything under that does? There are no spaces in any of those sub-folders. Peter, in the project I sent you, Adv CUCM goes to the output path of C:\1RoboHelp\OutputPaths\AdvCUCM and publishes to C:\1RoboHelp\manual-cm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not at my pc right now but if that is the folder with the RHPJ in it, I don't think so. No harm in putting it beyond doubt though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp