Exit

RoboHelp 2020 Word Export does not work - autodid not return a double

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,
I'm am facing the following problem.:
The export from RoboHelp to Word is failing everytime and I have no clue why... before the export is failing the log show the following:

Andrea37006461omg0_0-1714383729308.png

Has some an idea, what autodid not return a double is meaning and how i could solve it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you somehow trying to generate a merged project setup? You can only generate from one project at a time.

"autodid not return a double" is not a message I have seen before and I have worked with merged help for many years.

Let us know more about the "merged" reference first.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure the "merging" reference means "combining all topic htm files into one html file ready to convert to Word".

The best I can say is there is "something" wrong somewhere in the source.

Try generating a Word output with one of the sample projects. If that works, you know it's a problem with your project. You should find the sample projects in your Documents/My Robohelp Projects folder. If not, you can get a copy from in the installation directory under Program Files. Don't try opening the projects from there, as Microsoft have security on that folder which will prevent them working. If it doesn't work, you might need to look at uninstalling and reinstalling RH. 

You could also be running into path length issues. I notice a very long file name ("Compare Anomoly...") in the log. If the project is in your Documents folder, or in a cloud drive location like OneDrive then this is very likely. Try moving the project to somewhere like C:\Help to shorten the path as much as possible. Also change the path you are generating to, e.g. C:\Output

Try generating without selecting a Word template, if you use one. Perhaps there is something in it that the process doesn't like.

Try generating without your stylesheet in case there's something in it the process doesn't like.. Probably the easiest way to do this is to rename your current one to something like stylesheet.css.old and create a new one (without making any customisations) called stylesheet.css. That way you don't need to reassign anything anywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks you gus for the answers... It is something with the project. I generated a sample project, where I imported some topic from the orginal project and it works. Is there an easier way to import the topics into a new project than importing every single topic???

Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2024 Apr 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can import multiple files when using the Import HTML Topic option. Just select all topics in the folder you browse to (Shift+Click). Don't use the Import Folder option to try to do the whole project, though, as you'll get every type of file, not just topic related ones, and are likely to cause a mess. 🙂

Do note you may end up importing whatever is causing the problem, in which case try the other troubleshooting options I suggested. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2024 Apr 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Amebr  Good call. I'm pretty sure the "merging" reference means "combining all topic htm files into one html file ready to convert to Word".

As you have established it is your project, try this. Create two copies of your TOC and delete different halves. Generate just those two halves in the hope that one will work and one will fail. The one that fails has the rogue topic. Split the TOC in two and repeat until you find the topic.

If both fail, it could be more than one topic is rogue so create four copies.

Alternatively, create TOCs by dragging one folder at a time into a new TOC. The output will be rubbish but that doesn't matter as the aim is finding the problem. Once that is fixed your original TOC should work.

It's an old method but it works. Divide and conquer.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp