• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Finding quality issues before submitting images

Participant ,
May 27, 2024 May 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not great at spotting quality issues in my images by eye, despite my efforts. Does anyone know of software, AI-based or not, that can automatically identify image quality issues?

TOPICS
Contributor critique , Contributors , Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 27, 2024 May 27, 2024

Nope, not that I'm aware of. There are indeed online apps that will rate images, but they are not designed to find errors. Nor do they do a very good job of rating images.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 27, 2024 May 27, 2024

The lack of any such software is probably why Adobe continues to use human moderators.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, not that I'm aware of. There are indeed online apps that will rate images, but they are not designed to find errors. Nor do they do a very good job of rating images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lack of any such software is probably why Adobe continues to use human moderators.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought about that, but thinking that there may be software available to help identify flaws, making the process easier. However, even AI might not achieve what a human can. I say that, suspecting that even a perfect image, might still be rejected if it isn't what adobe is looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2024 Jun 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought about that, but thinking that there may be software available to help identify flaws, making the process easier. However, even AI might not achieve what a human can. I say that, suspecting that even a perfect image, might still be rejected if it isn't what adobe is looking for.

By @steveeyes

You can use tools like histograms, you can check assets at 200% or 300% to see flaws, but you won't have a push button solution.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been thinking about this a little more and I suppose there are applications that do identify image quality issues. It just depends on what you mean by image quality. Lightroom, for example, can detect areas of an image that are too dark or that are over-exposed. Topaz Photo AI can detect if an image needs sharpening or has noise or artifacts and correct for such shortcomings to one degree or another. But if by image quality you mean is there something available that can count fingers or let you know that a subject's pupils are different sizes or whatever, then no. And if there were, the people who are programming AI apps would have long since incorporated them into their applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the input. I do use Topaz Photo AI. After some rejections, I tried to pinpoint what I did wrong by using ChatGPT4 and claude. It usually came back with results saying no issues.

For example, here is ChatGPT feedback on one of the images that was rejected.

My prompt to ChatpGPT  was to  analyze the attached image for any quality issues, and below is the results it gave.

The attached image is a highly detailed painting of a young man in a gritty, urban setting. Here are some key qualities and features of the image:

Style: The painting has a realistic, hyper-detailed style, capturing textures, lighting, and depth with precision.

Subject: The young man, dressed in a worn orange t-shirt and baggy, distressed jeans, stands in a relaxed pose on a graffiti-covered staircase. His expression is stern and intense, adding to the overall gritty atmosphere.

Background: The setting is a city street at night, filled with neon lights, graffiti, and signs. The background is bustling with activity, indicated by the vibrant lights and deep shadows.

Color Palette: The painting uses a mix of dark tones and vivid colors. The neon lights provide pops of red, blue, and yellow, contrasting with the darker, more subdued tones of the urban environment.

Lighting: There is a dramatic use of lighting, highlighting the subject while casting deep shadows in the background. This creates a sense of depth and draws attention to the main figure.

Textures and Details: The artist has meticulously depicted textures, from the roughness of the man's clothing to the grime and wear of the staircase and surrounding environment. The attention to detail is evident in the small elements, like the tattoo on the man’s arm, the chains around his neck, and the scattered objects on the stairs.

These qualities combine to create a visually striking and immersive scene, full of life and narrative potential.

After running, it through the ChatGPT analyzes, that is when I start counting toes, fingers, etc. I may be wrong, but  what can't be analyzed is what images Adobe is looking for. If the image analyzed above has no quality issues other than it isn't what Adobe is looking for, it may be rejected.  Not saying this is true, but I do suspect it may be the case, Maybe I should stop pounding my head against the wall tying to figure it out.  ... Thanks again...I appreciate the feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you post the image in question, the one you sent through ChatGPT? Along with the reason for rejection if other than Quality Issues, and at the same size as submitted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was going to do when I finished my post but it was too large (it was upscaled). Never downscaled so I wasn't sure how so I left as is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Review these features in Photoshop

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/color-adjustments.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2024 Jun 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Chat Bot is just analyzing the image based on comments that are used to describe art. Remember that these Bots - ChatGPT and CoPilot are just referring to material that has already been published and is known. It cannot input original data or ideas. Therefore, it - so far -  cannot analyse an image based on quality, such as noise, focus, colour balance and so on. These - so far - require a human eye.

(At least to what I am led to believe.) The answer that you got is a typical structure - hence one can tell it was written by a programme, rather than a human.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some issues can be found by google or bing ai. Ask it to find specific issues on the loaded image. Be specifiic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not something AI machines can do for you.  Contrary to popular belief, AI is not intelligent. It thinks 5 legged horses and 3 legged tables are great!  Obviously that's not how things work in the real world.

The most AI can do is connect data points from a set program of instructions and available information.  It can't process ideas & filter information the same way a human brain can. 

Learn to use the tools in Photoshop or Lightroom to help you see problems. The Histogram panel is a good place to start.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @steveeyes,

The best way I know to spot issues is to zoom in to between 100 and 200%. You did not say what images you refer - AI, photos or otherwise. The hardest is to know what to look for and being patient enough to do detailed inspection. For photographs, Photoshop is very helpful for finding over or under-exposed areas and noise. You zoom to examine the edges for sharpness and color fringing. It is also easier to see if a photo deviates from the correct white balance if you zoom in. 

If you do not know what to look for it is listed here.

Best wishes

Jacquelin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 29, 2024 May 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for all your help. I must say I'm reading all I can, but at times my thought process seems to go haywire. Mostly because I find adobe site hard to navigate. There is a mixture between contributor pages and buyers pages and it seems I always get something related to buying when I'm looking for info for contributors. Adobe is here to make money so understandable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2024 Jun 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @steveeyes ,

I am not sure what you have found already. I suggest you bookmark this link and utilize the "Search Adobe Box" for whatever question you have, plus the link I suggested earlier. Failing that the community is here to assist.

Best wishes

Jacquelin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2024 May 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you need to do it on your own. You will learn a lot when you post an image here and someone analyses it.

A good start in all cases is, to look at the histogram (needs to be equilibrated) and check your assets at 100% for sharpness and 100-300% for artefacts.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines