• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image doesn't meet our quality standards - Critique please!

Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm a newbie and I'm trying to get some of my images uploaded, and although some have got through, some haven't on quality grounds, and I'm not sure why.   Would you mind taking a look and giving me some feedback? (The attached are reduced to 72DPI, is that the best thing to do here?)

Thanks!

Nigel

TOPICS
Contributor critique , Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

No, you shouldn't downsize images prior to uploading them here; nevertheless the technical issue is immediately apparent. Adobe doesn't accept images that have been converted to black and white, or, in this case, sepia. The first image, which is lovely by the way, also has a blown hotspot in the horse's face. The second image has underexposed shadows. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Don't change to monochrome.

Your first needs noise reduction. You need to check the boots for logos.  I'm not sure, however: I think that some errors have been introduced with your fancy filter that you applied. I suppose you have submitted a model release signed by the father and the mother (one as witness).

Your second requires probably some exposure work to be done: lifting the shadows mainly. If you can secure a model release from the lady, that would be ideal.

You should send in copy

Votes

Translate

Translate

I agree, lovely photo. I also believe the shadows on the horses face are too dark. IP issue with the shirt and you need a model release from both parents because this is a minor.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you shouldn't downsize images prior to uploading them here; nevertheless the technical issue is immediately apparent. Adobe doesn't accept images that have been converted to black and white, or, in this case, sepia. The first image, which is lovely by the way, also has a blown hotspot in the horse's face. The second image has underexposed shadows. 

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I’ll take a look at the horse image. As for the black and white issue, that’s odd since one of the images that was approved was a black and white image with a colour splash (all
Colour on monochrome apart from a London Bus in red).

Sent from Outlook for iOS<>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The previously accepted image is an error on the part if the Moderator (they are human). Adobe guidelines clearly state that monochrome images aren't permitted:

https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/editing-dos-and-dont.html

"Don’t: Convert your image to black & white or duotone. Buyers want the maximum flexibility provided by the full color image. "

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. That’s clear. Black and white in fact 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, lovely photo. I also believe the shadows on the horses face are too dark. IP issue with the shirt and you need a model release from both parents because this is a minor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - I have the Release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't change to monochrome.

Your first needs noise reduction. You need to check the boots for logos.  I'm not sure, however: I think that some errors have been introduced with your fancy filter that you applied. I suppose you have submitted a model release signed by the father and the mother (one as witness).

Your second requires probably some exposure work to be done: lifting the shadows mainly. If you can secure a model release from the lady, that would be ideal.

You should send in copy here the original pictures as we can't really check all the errors on downsampled assets, but I believe that you only changed 300 ppi to 72 ppi, so that should do it.

(edited)

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think your first is a really interesting picture, that could generate a lot of sales.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines