• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rejected file due to intellectual property

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Location 1.jpgHello, my file was rejected due to intellectual property. File ID: 494523798 Keys: pixel, art, pixelart, pixelated, vector, platformer, 8, bit, retro, game, adventure, old, arcade, video, 2d, location, rpg, landscape, land, scene, asset, tileset, tile, mockup, character, parallax, background, level, design, summer, mushroom, heart, hud, coin, sprite, tree, bush, valley, interface, girl, platform, 16, enemy, hero, play, diamond, screen; Could you suggest what is wrong?

TOPICS
Contributors

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks like a screen shot from a commercial, copyrighted game. How did you capture or make it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This image was drawn from scratch by me and has an internal layer structure for building new locations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even though you drew this image from scratch, I think Nintendo would still consider this too similar to Super Mario Brothers and file a copyright claim.  I believe the moderators were being cautious.

Rob R, Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you submit a signed release as the artist?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's entirely likely that the moderator never played a video game - but they know it looks like a screen shot from a commercial product. So you would need a release from the artist (you). That means you accept liability for any legal action (eg from Nintendo).  I think it would be useful to have a title which emphasises "original art not screen shot" or similar. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, one more thing. Your work could be used to advertise products or be read by a million people. This means lawyers will see it! Be sure your work is truly original - that you invented the characters in the sprites, that the platform is truly original.  I don't know the original inspiration if any, but you can't sell what we might call "fan art" -this will lead you to much legal trouble, could be very expensive. A lot of what we create can't be used in adverts, or sold. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It really does remind me of Super Mario Bros for NES.

NGL1---Super-Mario-Bros.png

Rob R, Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is pulling an owl on a globe. The tiles are absolutely not identical except for the general mood. Any cartoony minimalist summer platformer will have similar features. But completely blurry. My work and this screenshot have nothing in common, except that it is a platformer. The tiles and characters are completely different. Stocks and marketplaces for game developers sell a bunch of similar summer locations. There is a common mood, but they are completely different. My character is not identical to mario style. The platforms are more detailed and the mushroom is drawn dynamically just to keep it from getting boring. This is pixel art, any art will have something similar to other works. But not in details, only in general terms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You never answered my question. 

Was a signed release submitted with your artwork? 

If not, maybe that's why it was rejected.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was the title?

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines