• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Should objects be cut out of the background?

Contributor ,
Oct 15, 2022 Oct 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello community. Tell me if it makes sense to cut out objects from the background. Do such photos have more popularity and sales than without clipping? Because cutting out the background is quite a laborious job.

TOPICS
Contributor critique , Contributors

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

When I'm working on composites, I like a clean cut out if possible.  It saves me a lot of editing time later.  For simple objects, clean cut outs may improve your sales. Obviously this wouldn't work for complex images like landscapes.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you cut out, you need to do it correctly. And yes, depending on the subject, it may get you better sales. Especially when uploading as the (here) new PNG format with a transparent background.

As you correctly state, it is laborious.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the background is messy and distracting, you might be better off cutting out the object IF you can do it well. However, keep in mind how time consuming it is to do it right, and weigh that against the small royalty payments it might earn and decide for yourself if that's a good use of your time. If the object is meant to stand alone, it would be better to photograph it properly lit against a neutral background and let the Buyer do the cut out, if that's how they want to use it.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I look for assets to use in composites, I'm always looking for either cut out objects or unstylalized photos.  Cut out objects and people are nice because the white background is easily deleted or dealt with otherwise.  You are right, it takes time to do it correctly.

The popularity of the asset depends on what it is.

George F, Fine Art Landscape Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About 25% of my sales are with solid color backgrounds. 25% are with replaced (trees or sky) backgrounds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Olexandr22522449d3x6 ,

PNG images are for a new market. That is for the market of people who are not proficient at cutting out images, and those who like the convenience. Therefore if you would like to enter that market, then it might worth the while. It is likely many of Adobe customers have access to photoshop and might have preference to cropping for themselves. For those without the app, or any other apps that does good clean cropping, it would be new market. Cropping from background carries it's advantage and disadvantage. You will cut out your main element and discard the rest. The section you discard might have other elements that would otherwise get used, thus creating more sales for that one file. You are able to use multiple photos to create a unique composite image and as mentioned above cut out captures other customers.

You first have to take the photo and to make sure that the end result of that photo is acceptable by Adobe. Then you have to crop clean and seamless. To get that done properly means investing more than double time and still risk the possibility of a rejection for the same royalty or lest than double what you'd get for the original. 

When tagging cropped images, except for composites, you have less elements in your file, so less relevant tags. Tags are fundamental in getting your files visible; the more the better and remember they have to be relevant to keep you floating for customers to find you.

So, I don't know since I had never tried it but when I weigh the odds I believe your sales returns for cutouts at best would be the same as not cut out or more likely less.

If your non-cutout rejection rate is high, I suggest you get that up to speed before attempting to cutout.

Best wishes

Jacquelin 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the detailed answer. Tell me, is it possible to download the same file with a cut and without a cut? Or can you choose only one option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Olexandr22522449d3x6 ,

I believe your question meant to be "is it possible to upload the same file with a cut and without a cut".

The rule is that you can upload up to 6 of the same subject with different perspectives. Each file must have something different (or new) to offer to the customer. To apply this rule in this case would mean offering transparency and non-transparency. That sounds different to me. This is new to us and I am not sure but I'd submit both and see what happen.

From my experience submitting the same file twice is not an issue as long as there's something significantly different about the file. For example I submitted a sign with text, then resubmitted the same file after removing the text and both were accepted.

Best wishes

Jacquelin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When I'm working on composites, I like a clean cut out if possible.  It saves me a lot of editing time later.  For simple objects, clean cut outs may improve your sales. Obviously this wouldn't work for complex images like landscapes.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines