• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Technical issues - Guidance Requested

Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Afternoon.  Had these 4 images rejected all for "technical" reasons.  I recognize that in two of them , the entire butterfly is not in focus, that was part of the intent with wide open aperature.

Welcome all feedback.  Thanks!

TOPICS
Contributor critique , Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you've surmised, lack of sharp focus seems to be the issue with all 4 images. If you zoom in to 100% on the first 3, you'll detect that no part of the butterfly is in sharp focus. On the 4th image, the focus on the left wing is great, but it's unfortunate that it falls off on the right side. In this composition, in which the butterfly is nearly parallel to your lens, it would be expected to have the entire butterfly in focus. There is also a bit of noise in the first image; I didn't study the others closely to look for noise.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Appreciate the candid feedback. Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @b-squared ,

The first image displays color fringing, and is also grainy. The outer wing is a little out of focus, but might be considered and accepted if you correct the grain and fringing. It might need a little light adjustment, not much.

jacquelingphoto2017_0-1627843076857.png

The second and third, not good. Those are totally out of focus. I believe you didn't have enough shutter speed to freeze the moving parts of the butterfly, thus the fourth image outer wing moving out of focus.

Best wishes

JG

Photographer and Nutrition Author

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Appreciate the feedback. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to what has already been said, the fourth also has a halo around the wing wich can be seen at 240%

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fascinating.  Ok.  Thanks much. Appreciate the feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8152: The sharpest here are the leaves right to the butterfly. I do not think this was intended.

Abambo_0-1627851755778.png

As @jacquelingphoto2017 says, the noise level is too high, I got refusals with less noise than this.

8131: The noise level is too high and the eyes of the butterfly are not sharp:

Abambo_1-1627851922639.png

In portraits, the eyes need to be sharp. In addition, I see some chromatic aberration.

The sharpest point here is the wing.

Abambo_2-1627852133357.png

8129: Again the eyes are not sharp, I have even difficulties to detect a sharp element. The noise level here is as with the 2 prior images too high.

Abambo_3-1627852324423.png

8140: This one I would buy because it is sharp. But Adobe moderators rejected this one because of the noise level, which is again too high. Try to correct the noise without sacrificing the sharpness, and you will get one picture accepted. You will probably need to apply different noise reduction levels to the background and the butterfly. @Jill_C missed in here excellent assessment that also the left wing looses focus as the wings are not exactly parallel to the lens. But all in all, the loss of focus is OK, as the centre is in focus. As for the halo that @RALPH_L sees, I think it will disappear with the correct noise reduction. If not, it needs probably to be addressed in Photoshop.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you.  Appreciate the specific comments and examples.  Very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines