• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why was this photo rejected by AdobeStock photos?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2024 Apr 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Intimidating cat in front of Asian woman.JPGHello

First time I evere tried to add a photo to AdobeStock phtos, it was rejected, but no specific reason, just a general huideline that it didn't fit. Does anyone have an idea why? Just to let you know this photo has NOT been edited in Photoshop or similar app or software.

Would very much like a qualified reply.

Thank you.

Kr

Claus

TOPICS
Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 20, 2024 Apr 20, 2024

Adobe always gives a a reason for rejection, even if it can be a little vague. For starters, I assume you submitted a model release. But that wouldn't have helped. Your highlights are blown out and the shadows lack any detail. It's much too grainy for stock, the subject matter has no commercial value, and while Adobe does at times accept black and white images, turning color images into black and white will always get them rejected, if that's what you did here.

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 9.46.23 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 21, 2024 Apr 21, 2024

Without looking even deeper: 

1. It's black and white.
  2. It has a lot of noise.
  3. Your picture is underexposed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Given the quality issues in this asset, it seems that you probably haven't read or comprehended the submission guidelines. Be sure to read all of Adobe's guidelines before selecting any other assets for submission. You'll find those guidelines by clicking the Learn & Support link at the bottom of your Dashboard page. Also keep in mind that virtually every photo file needs at least minimal editing, so if you haven't acquired any photo editing skills, that will be a barrier. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Stock is a business, not a social media photo sharing site.

No B&W photos.  Customers want full color images. 

All photos require some minimal correction in Photoshop or Lightroom prior to submission.  It's foolish to think otherwise.

Adobe Stock customers expect the highest visual and technical quality for use in commercial projects. Emphasis on commercial use.  Printed posters, magazines, billboard ads, TV commercials, digital displays & merchandise.

Read your Stock Contributor User G

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe always gives a a reason for rejection, even if it can be a little vague. For starters, I assume you submitted a model release. But that wouldn't have helped. Your highlights are blown out and the shadows lack any detail. It's much too grainy for stock, the subject matter has no commercial value, and while Adobe does at times accept black and white images, turning color images into black and white will always get them rejected, if that's what you did here.

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 9.46.23 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi danielle4510 

Thank you so much for taking time to reply me. I had this photo for years and friends aroudn me liked it a lot. I am by no chance neither a pro or semi-pro photographer.

As I see it, you need much more skills to be able to upload photos here, more than I have.

Thank you again.

Claus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, moderators are not your friends. 🙂 They are looking for commercially viable images that designers, bloggers, and others are willing to spend money on. Personally, I think the photo is amusing and interesting, but not stock-worthy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2024 Apr 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no space here for artistic pictures, if they are not usable for a large range of commercial applications. 

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see - what a shame. As I wrote in another reply, this picture was one of my first shote years ago when I just bought myself a DSL camera. It was late evening and a bit dark in teh room and my wif sat with our cat Bacon. It wasn't edited as such.

🙂

Claus 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see - what a shame.

By @bomancreative.com

If you are in for selling art, you need to find a different place. A lot of highly quoted artistic pictures would earn a refusal here. It's just a different market.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given the quality issues in this asset, it seems that you probably haven't read or comprehended the submission guidelines. Be sure to read all of Adobe's guidelines before selecting any other assets for submission. You'll find those guidelines by clicking the Learn & Support link at the bottom of your Dashboard page. Also keep in mind that virtually every photo file needs at least minimal editing, so if you haven't acquired any photo editing skills, that will be a barrier. 

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jill_C

As many others replies, you are proberly right. I is a shame that Adobe doesn't point ot you need t be a skilled professional to submit to here. I had my fair share of very unprofessional downloads with Illustrator files who seem to have not been given af filter. So, glad to be pointing to my attention now for my constribution,

Thanks.

Best....

Claus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the many Help pages that Adobe provides regarding Stock contributions do, indeed, amplify the message that each Contributor needs to have well developed skills in their craft, whether it be photographs, vectors, videos, illustrations or Gen AI. 

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jill_C

As many others replies, you are proberly right. I is a shame that Adobe doesn't point ot you need t be a skilled professional to submit to here.

By @bomancreative.com

Adobe has as part of their documentation many indications of what level of quality is required. Most contributors learn about those requirements by posting their refusals here. That is OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without looking even deeper: 

1. It's black and white.
  2. It has a lot of noise.
  3. Your picture is underexposed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Abambo, thanks for teh feedback, appreciate. I'm absolute beginner! 🙂 Claus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Abambo, thanks for teh feedback, appreciate. I'm absolute beginner! 🙂 Claus

By @bomancreative.com

You're welcome. We all needed to learn the submission process, and we all went through the learning by refusal curve. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

For stock photos, this will never pass. Problems are with exposure, B&W, and film grain (doesn't work for stock photos, and in the digital world it's called noise). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, I'm assuming it's from a B&W print, and you scanned it. Was the orginal a dark, grainy picture? Back in the days of print, this would be fine, but now in the days of digital pics and stock, not so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ricky336 - thanks. for your feedback, appreciated. I'm new to this.

No, not a b&W print - at that time I just bought my first DSL camera and my wife was sitting with our cat Bacon. It was late night and a bit dark in the room,  therefore the grains. 

🙂

Claus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are new to stock, you should consider these resources: https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/tutorials.html
Please read the contributor user manual for more information on Adobe stock contributions: https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/user-guide.html
See here for rejection reasons: https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/reasons-for-content-rejection.html
and especially quality and technical issues: https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/quality-and-technical-issues.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stock is a business, not a social media photo sharing site.

No B&W photos.  Customers want full color images. 

All photos require some minimal correction in Photoshop or Lightroom prior to submission.  It's foolish to think otherwise.

Adobe Stock customers expect the highest visual and technical quality for use in commercial projects. Emphasis on commercial use.  Printed posters, magazines, billboard ads, TV commercials, digital displays & merchandise.

Read your Stock Contributor User Guide.  It contains all you need to know about the submission reqirements.  Also, images containing models must be accompanied by a signed model release. Do not submit images of people without one.

Hope that helps.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2024 Apr 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy and all

Thank you. What I don't get in this issue is that I'm constantly bombarded by Adobe to submit to Stockphotos. I have never told Adobe I'm a professional photographer, but I have taken a photo, many people liked it (we have an 80x80 version for the wall), and then I submitted it due to teh positive feedback. Without the grain (which was not an after effect) the picture might not have made it to our wall.  I should not have converted it to B/W before submitting.

I believe Adobe should communicate a bit more clearly here.

Many have come back to mebomancreativecom_0-1714366020306.pngwith relevant comments and I understand now. However there has also been a lot of repeating replies - they are most likely done to help, but I just don't need the same answer from 10 different people.

Over and out, I won't submit more photos.

Oh... ...one more thing. When there are so high demands for photo quality, then why not for vector graphics? I have paid for too many bad Illustrator files that was poorly created. On surface they look good, but close up, ends don't meet, too much dirt here and there etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy and all

Thank you. What I don't get in this issue is that I'm constantly bombarded by Adobe to submit to Stockphotos. I have never told Adobe I'm a professional photographer, but I have taken a photo, many people liked it (we have an 80x80 version for the wall), and then I submitted it due to teh positive feedback. 

By @bomancreative.com

That's the difference between stock photo and art. I too, I like the picture, but I would have no use of it for my job. If you submit to stock, you should really forget about "someone liked my picture", but you should start looking at your picture as a craft, where a stool is created to sit on it, and not to look spectecular.

Many have come back to mebomancreativecom_0-1714366020306.pngwith relevant comments and I understand now. However there has also been a lot of repeating replies - they are most likely done to help, but I just don't need the same answer from 10 different people.

By @bomancreative.com

If many pdople say the same thing, it needs to be correct, no? (that's sarcastical!). Yes, we tend to comment for the same errors the same things. That's it. Accept what you want out of those comments. 

Oh... ...one more thing. When there are so high demands for photo quality, then why not for vector graphics? I have paid for too many bad Illustrator files that was poorly created. On surface they look good, but close up, ends don't meet, too much dirt here and there etc.

By @bomancreative.com

We are all baffled at the low quality of some assets. But that is not our task here. You got a refusal, we tell you what you should consider for your next submission.  But that does not mean, that we are OK with accepted assets. 

If you licence an asset and that asset is not up to Adobe's standards, you need to denounce that asset. Sometimes, we all agree, sometimes we all disagree. And sometimes some of us agree. Why? because we are all humans, and we look at different things differently. 

Assets need to be usable for the customer. If they aren't, they will get removed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
🙏

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everytime I go to Twitter/X, they ask if I want to post something.

It's not personal. It's just marketing.

• This is a user-to-user forum. We're unpaid forum volunteers with jobs of our own. 
  • We live in all different regions and time zones.
  • Sometimes we take time to read all the other replies and sometimes we don't. 
  • That's how user-to-user forums work.

When you post an image here you may receive 10 different answers, and many will overlap because we all see the same things. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines