• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

16K/32K textures support for all Substance 3D software?

Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know what's the current status on 16K/32K textures support, both for work in software & file export across all Substance 3D software, including Painter, Designer, Sampler & Stager?

I'm also curious about why in the past Substance is always lacking behind on 8K/16K/32K supports? Is it just because Substance software are utilizing real-time rendering and thus there is hardware limitation? How does film/VFX industry who also use Substance software to cope with these limitations? I guess UDIM? But that doesn't explain the hardware limitation part.

TOPICS
Import & Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Typically 8k is the maximum you want to go with. Generating a Substance graph at a higher resolution is p[ossible using the CPU engine but extremely slow. For very high end assets in ht eVFX indutry, you would typically split your textures in 4k or 8k UDIMs for efficiency.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typically 8k is the maximum you want to go with. Generating a Substance graph at a higher resolution is p[ossible using the CPU engine but extremely slow. For very high end assets in ht eVFX indutry, you would typically split your textures in 4k or 8k UDIMs for efficiency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, thank you @Jeremie Noguer.

So, if I'm using UDIM textures with a couple of 8K maps in Designer or Painter, do they offer bulk painting/processing on all of the UDIM maps at the same time? If they do, what's the performance differenc bwteen equal total pixel texture ex. eight 8K vs two 16K maps? I thought UDIM usually comes with larger amount of maps and that will still make Substance software very slow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Painter will allow you to work on many udims at the same time at 4k, you can then export at 8k and Painter will generate the additional detail during the export process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar question, I want export some planet texture maps. Why if I set output export to 32K then output generated texture are always  only 16K?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yet info my GPU is nvidia RTX 3060, 12GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines