Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

3d warp with position map

Participant ,
Jul 03, 2022 Jul 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Just wondering if I've either missed something simple or if anyone has accomplished this in SD.

All of the native SD warp tools look to work only in 2d texture space.

What I need to do is take for example a 3d noise then warp that but using the position map as the basis for the warp, if you just use the standard tools you will get issues as it warps outside of the UV boundaries.

noise.jpg

As a workaround to get the effect (and demonstrate what I'm trying to achieve) I'm currently taking the output into a 3rd party program blender in this case and warping the vertex position in 3d space but one the surface whilst leaving the UV cords in the same place which works and I can build a workflow around it but it feels like I should be able to do this all in SD.  Anyone got any bright ideas ?

3dwarp.jpg 

TOPICS
General , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Hi you could use a pixel processor to sample and adjust the output. I did that recently to produce a 3D wood material that sampled and warped the end grain throughout the surface of the object in order to create realistic long grain that matched the ends.

Alternatively you could split the position map channels and use blend nodes to adjust each, before recombining them and driving the 3D noise node (as below):

2022-07-05_11-02-42.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi you could use a pixel processor to sample and adjust the output. I did that recently to produce a 3D wood material that sampled and warped the end grain throughout the surface of the object in order to create realistic long grain that matched the ends.

Alternatively you could split the position map channels and use blend nodes to adjust each, before recombining them and driving the 3D noise node (as below):

2022-07-05_11-02-42.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave,

I haden't thought of distorting the position map with one noise to drive another, can get some really cool organic effects with that, really clever idea.

Mark_Edwards_0-1657171275057.png

Think I'm going to use both approaches, I can get more control over the shapes I want distorting the pattern in 3d space then project it back in substance so I'll use the position trick for the base layer and the 3d projection for the detail I think, I can just batch render out a load of alphas with variations in them and pull them in as I render out the textures.

I now have too many options 🙂

Mark_Edwards_1-1657171369234.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

will have to stop now but can get all sort of nice effects really easily, will def be using this trick going forward!

Mark_Edwards_0-1657172232234.pngMark_Edwards_1-1657172269022.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

over the top but using both methods together on a more complex shape without any glitching

Mark_Edwards_0-1657180929725.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice job Mark. Glad I could help with the thinking. 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 10, 2022 Jul 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

just to close this off, some contact sheet examples from first test render using this workflow combined with the projection workflow, certainly lots of variation 🙂  All with substance designer, rendered with blender, for each dice over 60 inputs including 5 2k baked maps, 2 lots of 2k alpha maps passed on command line and hasen't gone bang yet!

Pattern-0.jpg

 

Pattern-1.jpg

Pattern-2.jpg

Pattern-3.jpg

Pattern-4.jpg

Pattern-5.jpg

Pattern-6.jpg

      

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines