Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to add custom HDRI environment maps in Substance Designer

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I'm unable to find any documentation or resources online on how to add custom environment maps in Substance Designer. There's a 2015 thread here, but the info there doesn't seem to match the current version of the app. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
3D View , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Hello @jtolbert2000,

Thank you for reaching out to us!

You may add your own content (graphs, bitmaps including HDRi maps, 3D models, ...) in Designer's Library by adding the content's directory to the Library paths in the Project settings.

Then, you may create a custom filter in the Library view to make your custom content more visible and accessible. This process is covered in the Curating custom content and filters section of Designer's documentation.

Best regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @jtolbert2000,

Thank you for reaching out to us!

You may add your own content (graphs, bitmaps including HDRi maps, 3D models, ...) in Designer's Library by adding the content's directory to the Library paths in the Project settings.

Then, you may create a custom filter in the Library view to make your custom content more visible and accessible. This process is covered in the Curating custom content and filters section of Designer's documentation.

Best regards.

Luca Giarrizzo | QA Analyst, 3D & Immersive | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant, thank you! So the process hasn't really changed from 2015, then. I was missing that I can't add my own HDRIs to the existing HDRI Environments folder—I have to create my own Custom HDRI Environments folder.

One follow-up question: I can drag my custom HDRIs onto the 3d view, but I need to select the channel I want them to apply to, which I don't need to do with the existing HDRIs. Not a big deal, but is there any way to have SD know that automatically and avoid an extra click each time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am glad my reply was helpful!

The automatic selection of the appropriate texture sampler in the 3D View for environment maps in the 3D View > HDRI Environments section of the Library is a hard-coded special behaviour.

For custom content, there is currently no way to let Designer know that content matching a specific Library filter should be assumed to have a specific usage.

That being said, I understand switching custom environment maps is a bit tedious and this is an interesting idea! I appreciate your patience in the meantime.

A workaround would be to create a graph with a single Output node set to the environment usage, connect your environment map to this node and have a copy of this graph in your Library for each environment map.

In this case, the output would have the environment usage required to let Designer know what the image should be connected to automatically.

Best regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again, and I love the quick replies. Glad to see I wasn't missing anything. I'm fine with having to do that extra click for now. It seems like less work than creating a graph for each custom environment map.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am glad you are satisfied, feel free to get back to me if you neef further assistance!

Best regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines