Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

IRay VS OpenGL - Gloss sharpness

Participant ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

My expriments for velvet and satin lead me to a question about Iray and OpenGL.

While OpenGL is not that bad, IRay anisotropy seems to be totally ignored in Iray mode. The shiny effect is totally gone. (Left is Iray, right is OpenGL).

Iray_VS_OpenGL.png

What should I change, add, delete?

Currently, I have:

base color

normal

metallic

roughness

specular

anisotropy

Considering the OpenGL sample how could I make it a bit more glossy? Currently my attempts make it looks wet, metallic or mirror-like but never "glossy" (I've tried with sheen channels, with no avail, it become grey, overexposed).

PS : Side question, how to enable auto-smooth in Iray mode?

TOPICS
General , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Hello @arthenics,

Thanks for the question.

The difference between the two renderers comes from the way Substance 3D Designer handles OpenGL. Some approximation can appear with OpenGL and with a HDRI environment really contrasted, these approximations will be even more noticeable, especially on the specularity and anisotropy.

For a more even result, you can increase the sample count of OpenGL:

Edit>Preferences>3D View>OpenGL>Sample Count

I'd advise you to set it to Ultra.

About the result

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

To make sure I get you well and cover every aspects:

To display your outputs in the 3D view, right click anywhere in your graph > View Outputs in 3D view

Output 3D view.png

The 3D view displaying your outputs should be the by default set up.

If one map is not correctly linked to the 3D view, it might be a Usage issue. In the Integration Attributes of your output, make sure the Usage is set to the map you need.

Usage.png

With that being said, I am not entirely sure this is the answer you're looking for, so feel fre

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @arthenics,

Thanks for the question.

The difference between the two renderers comes from the way Substance 3D Designer handles OpenGL. Some approximation can appear with OpenGL and with a HDRI environment really contrasted, these approximations will be even more noticeable, especially on the specularity and anisotropy.

For a more even result, you can increase the sample count of OpenGL:

Edit>Preferences>3D View>OpenGL>Sample Count

I'd advise you to set it to Ultra.

About the result you're looking for, you'll have to tweak the output you are already using depending on what you're aiming. Do not hesitate to take a look inside our Substance 3D Assets library, you will find a bunch of material you could inspect and some of the assets even have the .sbs file to take a deeper look.

PS: The visible polygons in your Iray Render is unfortunately an issue we already know about and are working on it. The issue usually appears on rounded meshes with a strong normal or lighting.

Best regards,

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

It helps but...

How do we save the maps affectation? It seems I'm missing something.

There are two maps : glossiness and diffuse but I don't see to what maps these are related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey arthenics, about the maps affectation:

Natively, the 3D view displays the Output nodes from the graph. Do you have output nodes in your graph or did you use the Base Material node to preview your graph ? If so, you can easily create Output nodes from your Base Material node and if not, you can create a new graph with all the outputs you need and copy/paste all your nodes in the new graph.

Create output.png

or

CreateNewGraph.png

And to make it simple about the Glossiness and Diffuse:

the Diffuse is simply a map that defines the color of the material and the Glossiness defines how the material reflects lights.

These should be outputs of your graph.

Best regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

About glossiness and diffuse... ohhhhh ok, thanks XD

About the output, yes of course, I have the outputs and know how to display them in the 3D view, the thing is every output affectation to the 3D view seems to reset at the opening of the project. I need to re-tell what output go where in the 3D view.

When we download a ressource with the SBS, the texture is displayed mapped in the 3D view, when I load my project, the 3D view is the default empty one, not a mapped one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To make sure I get you well and cover every aspects:

To display your outputs in the 3D view, right click anywhere in your graph > View Outputs in 3D view

Output 3D view.png

The 3D view displaying your outputs should be the by default set up.

If one map is not correctly linked to the 3D view, it might be a Usage issue. In the Integration Attributes of your output, make sure the Usage is set to the map you need.

Usage.png

With that being said, I am not entirely sure this is the answer you're looking for, so feel free to share a little bit more on your issue or even photos of your graph.

Have a nice week-end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ahhh ohhh, thanks, I've missed this part, to "add item" and the right parameter for "usage".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines