• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Painting error: Can only paint on some materials and not others

Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason using the when using a brush tool to paint on a paint layer, I can only paint on 2/8 materials.

I imported my fbx from Blender without any errors. Could it be a problem with my UVs or my UDIM tiles?

I am using a PBR Metallic Rough with Alpha blending shader and I also used a PBR Metallic Rough Shader

with no difference.

I had this error in Substance 

[GenericMaterial] Shader API has been updated. Textures may briefly flash white in the viewport. Updating the shader via the shader settings window or resource updater plugin could resolve the issue.

And I updated it with no changes. 

Does this issue ring a bell with anybody?

Thanks

Bug Unresolved

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Hi @john doe charlie,

Thanks for the message.

I am not sure to fully understand the problem, but it could be due to the UDIM tiles if the project is not set up to the "paint across tiles" mode.

PaintAcrossTiles.png

You could also try several Brush Alignment to check if something changes.

BrushAlignment.png

For the error you talked about, it is probably not related to the actual issue you're facing.

With that being said, could you share a little bit more on the issue ? If you have any pictures or videos, it would be g

Votes

Translate

Translate
4 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @john doe charlie,

Thanks for the message.

I am not sure to fully understand the problem, but it could be due to the UDIM tiles if the project is not set up to the "paint across tiles" mode.

PaintAcrossTiles.png

You could also try several Brush Alignment to check if something changes.

BrushAlignment.png

For the error you talked about, it is probably not related to the actual issue you're facing.

With that being said, could you share a little bit more on the issue ? If you have any pictures or videos, it would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cyril,

Thanks for getting back to me. I kept my new projects settings at default, except for resolution.

I did not check Use UV Tile Workflow. However the paint across tiles is checked, but greyed out.

I imported my FBX again and I checked the UV tile workflow this time and that did the trick!

Though its wierd that I could paint over some UDIM tiles and not others before. 

Thanks for your help,

Mike 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am glad it worked! In fact, if you're not working with the Paint across UV tile option on, you'll have to switch Texture Set in the Texture Set List to paint on different UV tile.That could have been the issue.

Have fun with Substance Painter!

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Cyril,

I didn't realize that you could have more than one texture set list. 

Right now I can paint across two tiles, since the meshes (same material) are on two seperate tiles. 

Screenshot (1).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Resources