Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quick Mask functions key and display altered / not functioning

Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

The Quickmask feature has stopped working normally. I am in Substance version 8.1.3 

Main issues:

1) "i" hotkey no longer inverts mask
2) mask overage is 100% opaque (normally it has a level of transleuceny so you can see what's under the mask)

Hope this gets reset/cleared up soon! 

Thank you

Bug Unresolved

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
3 Comments
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the new version 8.2

Ctrl+Shift+I is the current default shortcut for Inverting quick mask (you can change it in Settings > Keyboard Shortcuts)

I can't remember quick masking being translucent, but that doesn't mean it never was  :-), if you don't use full black (e.g. grey) it will not be fully masked

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply davescm,

The hotkeys as listed - and as they have functioned for the past several years (there was a change a number years back but the hot keys have never involved function keys). From the substance website:

Quick masking allows you to mask parts of your mesh you don't want to paint on.

• Hit Y to switch to quick mask edit mode, this will allow you to paint a temporary mask.
  • Hit U again to switch back to your previous tool and paint across that mask.
  • Hit Y to reset/disable the mask.
  • Hit I to invert the mask while in quick mask edit mode.

For the devs I ask if the hotkeys have recently been changed to require ctrl+shift for only the "i" and not "Y" or "U" - why the change? And why the inconsistency? As a very frequent user of this tool I ask to please revert the default to "i" again. Even understanding that yes I can go in and re-map all function keys in this software (which is great) but this is a completely unnecessary hurdle to throw in an already very buried and underutilized tool. 

I conceed on the mask opacity level, I must have been mistaken. But throw that out as a suggestion for an overall improvement to the tool, when you switch to U or Use mode; dropping to 70-80% on the opacity would make this tool much easier to use!

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since I'm already on a suggestions path - I will add. I have been working professionally with Substance for 7 years between a number of different studios. At every studio I introduce the Quickmask tool for the first time to my colleagues. 

People who have been using Substance for years have no idea about this tool, and it is a phenomenal tool!
There is plenty of room on the left toolbar for an icon, adding a representation of this tool into the UI would undoubtedly increase user knowledge/use of Quickmask. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Resources