• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Baking - Planar Projection?

Participant ,
Mar 08, 2024 Mar 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using the baking feature with a high-poly asset, I can't seem to get a clean front projection.

The example below shows the baking result:

PixelFun_0-1709963731784.png

The screenshot below shows the Blender Mesh. Basically a cube plus cylindrical primitives.
When baking, I load the cube as my main mesh, and for the high-fidelity mesh, I load the plane plus the cylindrical bumpers.

PixelFun_1-1709963833002.png

I am just wondering if it's not possible to get a straight, front planar projection when baking with the high-fidelity mesh. The mesh maps show cleary a perspective distortion.

PixelFun_2-1709963978679.png

probably best to see in the curvature map below:

PixelFun_3-1709964034816.png

• Hmmm... I wonder, if there is no way to not see this "lens distortion"?
  • Isn't it possible to have a 100% planar bake?
  • Any settings I am missing here?

Thx a bunch for any ideas!
TOPICS
Baking , Discussion

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Hello @PixelFun,

Thanks for the interesting topic.

This effect is what we usually call Skewing, and if you want to learn more on the subject, here's a great Polycount thread on the subject.

Just so you know, Substance Painter's baker doesn't have an option to edit the Skew map directly, so this is something to work on before the baking step.

Sweking is due to the Normal's orientation. Therefore, editing the topology can be a solution for a "straight baking". In your shared example, a simpl

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @PixelFun,

Thanks for the interesting topic.

This effect is what we usually call Skewing, and if you want to learn more on the subject, here's a great Polycount thread on the subject.

Just so you know, Substance Painter's baker doesn't have an option to edit the Skew map directly, so this is something to work on before the baking step.

Sweking is due to the Normal's orientation. Therefore, editing the topology can be a solution for a "straight baking". In your shared example, a simple inset on the cube's face would insure straight normals, and solve the problem.

GifCube Inset.gif

From "EarthQuake" on PolycountFrom "EarthQuake" on Polycount

Alternatively, you can disable the Average Normals option in the baking panel.

Capture d’écran 2024-03-11 à 11.07.00.png

This will force Substance Painter to use the mesh's normal instead of an Average Normal. Depending on the mesh, it can help with skewing, but it also might create gaps in the map.

substance-3d-painter-baking-parameters-step-2.png

Lastly, there are softwares that can edit skew maps manually after baking for localized changes.

Regards,

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Cyril,

this is fantastic and exactly what I was looking for. The skewing. Perfect.

I just added one extra inset and the "skewing" in the bake is gone, see below the bake of the curvature map.

PixelFun_0-1710200337556.png

Wonderful, you are simply the best.
Thank you so much for your help and explanation on this topic.
Spot on!

Appreciate it and keep rocking!
cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources