• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I change the color according to the height map ?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I there ! I got a bark texture, removed the base color to add it myseld for a stylised purpose (see picture). I would like at least 2 shades of brown, according to the reliefs of the height map. (Dark brown at the bottom and light brown to the top of the reliefs)

Is there a quick way to do that in painter ? Like applying a color only to the black areas of a height map ?

Thanks !

TOPICS
Discussion

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

I found out by myself after all ! I just baked the texture on a plane, opened the height map on photoshop, added the colors as I wanted. Then I replaced the Base color file by the new colored height map, opened all the texture in a fill layer in substance painter and that's it. (The dark brown is too dark but I will change it later)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

There is a much quicker way, using just Painter layers with a compare mask:

See below where I have added a texture with only the height channel enabled as the bottom layer then two  fill layers with only the colour channel used (one red and one blue)

To the top fill layer I added a mask using "Add Mask with Height combination" and  in properties set "Compare" to "within tolerance" (wavy equals sign between "this layer" and "layers below")

Now I can move between the two colours using the tolera

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found out by myself after all ! I just baked the texture on a plane, opened the height map on photoshop, added the colors as I wanted. Then I replaced the Base color file by the new colored height map, opened all the texture in a fill layer in substance painter and that's it. (The dark brown is too dark but I will change it later)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a much quicker way, using just Painter layers with a compare mask:

See below where I have added a texture with only the height channel enabled as the bottom layer then two  fill layers with only the colour channel used (one red and one blue)

To the top fill layer I added a mask using "Add Mask with Height combination" and  in properties set "Compare" to "within tolerance" (wavy equals sign between "this layer" and "layers below")

Now I can move between the two colours using the tolerance control based on the height map

2021-10-28_21-01-45.jpg

2021-10-28_21-02-55.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh thank you Dave ! It works very well 🙂 (And a real time saver compared to my method)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources