• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export mesh from substance painter, displacement issues

Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to get an accurately located asset from substance to maya (its from a laser scan, certain points need to line up with reality).

I was struggling matching my Substance painter displacement maps with my maya arnold displacement maps (they were bloating and not attaching to the original mesh) so I thought I would try export the mesh from substance instead. 

I used the sample mesh as a test and put the tesselation high to start with and exported an obj and fbx. Maya couldn't open thes files.

So, I tried it on low and the result is peculiar, it's like a line of triangles stringed together, see screenshots. The two files aren't even in the same place in the world space. 

Why is this happening? 

Also, is there any way to get an accurate replication of the textures from substance to maya, especially for displacement maps (other than just eyeballing the scale zero value)? I've watched every tutorial on this I can find and it seems like bloating is just not an issue for most artists.

I'm using pngs- is this the problem?

I'm using an Apple M1 Max computer, Maya 2022, substance painter 2022

TOPICS
Baking , Import & Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you load your geometry in Painter, there are some processing to allow your geometry to be textured in Painter.
When you add displacement and if you want to export your mesh, there is an option to recompute the normals and this option should be checked.
This could explain why you do not have the same results with other apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources