• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

normal map seams

New Here ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, I'm new here. Currently, I'm working on creating my first stylized low-poly (game-ready) model. When baking high to low-poly in Substance Painter, everything looks good with  all mesh maps and material view. However the normal map (mesh map)  has visible seam lines.

After searching online, I found a few potential solutions to this problem:

I've already tried raising the bake resolution, but it's already at 8k.
I made sure that my UV islands have 32 pixels padding between them when Substance Painter's dilation is set to 32, so they should not be affected by each other.
I attempted painting the seams of the normal map with the average color of the normal map, which did make the seams disappear, but it caused imprecise results around the seam areas and even were noticble in matirial view.
I haven't attempted aligning the UV island seams with the UV grid, as I need to optimize the model for gaming, and aligning might cause issues with UV packing.
does anyone have suggestions how to fix this issue? or is it even importent to fix the normal map seams if they dont show up in matirial view ?  Thank you!
TOPICS
Baking

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 03, 2023 Aug 03, 2023

Hi @ברק5F9C,

Thanks for the question.

As you mentioned, a visible seam in your normal view isn't a problem as long as you don't see it in your material view. It is pretty common to have normal seams, and this is due to the UV shells rotation. To make it simple, as the normals work in a tangent space, the purple (for example) will always comes from top to bottom (in DirectX format), regardless of the UV orientation. Therefore, if you paint something in between two UV shells, this may create a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 03, 2023 Aug 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @ברק5F9C,

Thanks for the question.

As you mentioned, a visible seam in your normal view isn't a problem as long as you don't see it in your material view. It is pretty common to have normal seams, and this is due to the UV shells rotation. To make it simple, as the normals work in a tangent space, the purple (for example) will always comes from top to bottom (in DirectX format), regardless of the UV orientation. Therefore, if you paint something in between two UV shells, this may create a seam on the Normal map depending how the UVs are rotated.

CyrilDellenbach_1-1691053027697.png

In fact, these seams on the Normal map prevent seams on your Material. So don't worry, this is the expected behavior, and as long as you don't have an issue with how your material look, there are no problems.

CyrilDellenbach_3-1691053396436.gif

Best regards,

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2023 Aug 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you for your detailed response and providing clarification ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources