Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Support for M1 macs

Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.
What is the actual state of support of Substance Painter for the apple m1 chips, and did you get to make it compatible with the comming M1 ultra / macstudio?

Or are we still on Rosetta conversion ?

I've been surfing a bit the web to try to understand, but still a bit confusing.

I'm currently working with a MacPro 5.1 with a GTX1080 on OSX10.13.6, stuck with SP 6.2.2 ; everything works fine except it's pretty buggy on very heavy files, and support feedback answers are that you don't support "non-official" mac hardware. I'm planning to upgrade my 10 years old system to this Mac Studio with 128 ram to unsure more stable workflow, will it be compatible with Substace Painter?

Thanks for feedback

TOPICS
Bugs & Crashes , Discussion

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Hi

We support MacM1 non natively, and release after release we are fixing issues. I would encourage you to update to the most recent release of Painter:
fixed in Painter 7.3.1:

• [Mac M1] Material layering not working
  • [Mac M1][Projection] Warp does not work

Fixed in Painter 7.2.2:

• [Mac M1] Wrong Memory detection

known issue:

• [Mac M1] Smart materials are not displayed correctly --> not a blocker

As you see some fixes could correspond to your problem with large projects. We are working on suppor

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

We support MacM1 non natively, and release after release we are fixing issues. I would encourage you to update to the most recent release of Painter:
fixed in Painter 7.3.1:

• [Mac M1] Material layering not working
  • [Mac M1][Projection] Warp does not work

Fixed in Painter 7.2.2:

• [Mac M1] Wrong Memory detection

known issue:

• [Mac M1] Smart materials are not displayed correctly --> not a blocker

As you see some fixes could correspond to your problem with large projects. We are working on supporting Mac M1 in natively way, it should come soon.

•  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would encourage you to update to the most recent release of Painter:
fixed in Painter 7.3.1:

•  

By @Cedric Marchessoux

Yup I tried the 7.3.1 on OSX 10.13.6, actually afaic the only stable V is  6.2.2 on my system. (mac pro 5.1 are intel, not M1)
That's partly why I have to buy a newer computer.

We are working on supporting Mac M1 in natively way, it should come soon.

•  

By @Cedric Marchessoux

OK thanks for feedback, glad to ear you're on it. Feel reassured.
By the time apple deliver the mac studio (end  of may ) i can prey you could make it work natively 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do not support anymore High Sierra (10.13), the minimum is Mojave (10.14) and the minimum will change to 10.15 (Catalina) soon like other Adobe apps. We recommend Mac 11 (Big Sur). This is why with your current Hardware configuration you need to work with an older version of Painter.
You can find the technical requirements at:
https://substance3d.adobe.com/documentation/spdoc/hardware-requirements-220857181.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes exactly.
I can assure you I'm aware of latest system requierement. 😉
But only High-Sierra supports nVidia cards. I do understand I have to buy another computer. I understand you're working on making softwares compatible with the MacM1, and hope that within the next 2 monthes a solution will emerge. That is the reason of this post.

Have a nice day 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2024 Feb 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been 2 years, how's this going?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

Painter supports natively Silicon Mac (M1, M2) since June 2022 with Pt 8.1.0 and we are working on a Vulkan version to get better performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Cedric Marchessoux Hi Cedric, will native Apple Silicon support be properly optimised and also use the Neural Engine for AI tasks currently only available on CUDA?

Cheers, Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources