• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is causing this issue with normals baking?

New Here ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm having a strange issue with my bake where this big teardrop shapes appear in the normal map (but only the normal map). Messing with settings like frontal/rear distance has done nothing to improve them. These shapes don't appear on the high-poly or low-poly mesh, only once I do the actual bake. Does anyone know what is causing this issue? I've attached images of the problem as well as my bake settings.

TOPICS
Baking , Discussion

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2022 Aug 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Can you provide a link to the high and low poly mesh files, I'll take a look here.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here, I attached the low poly and this dropbox has the high poly. Thanks for taking a look at it!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s5grtzj97vknnqv/round%202%20assets%20open%20crate%20bake_high.fbx?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm not seeing that issue here with the front and rear settings at the default 0.01

However - the mesh you posted was not unwrapped. So I did use the auto-unwrap at it's defaults on importing.  I wonder if the issue you are seeing is with the unwrap rather than the bake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh, it's still unclear why that happened in the first place but unwrapping it does seem to have solved the issue. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The unwrap you use previously may have had some overlapped islands i.e. two parts of the mesh faces sharing a single part of teh UV map.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources