• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Support for native .ssg files in the Assets > Libraries panel within Stager to drag and drop.

Contributor ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3D Stager doesn't currently support its own native file format (.ssg) within the Assets > Libraries panel, yet supports more generic formats with less functionality. This is crazy!

.ssg files natively support all the features within Stager, specifically both Physical lighting (spot, area, point or directional) and materials. Other file formats that the Libraries panel does support (.glb, .obj, usdz, .gltf, .fbx) dont support both, so there is currently no way to create 3D models which support both materials and physical lights that can be saved in the libraries panel.

This is a major issue when a scene has been created and an additional model needs to be imported from the library, say a model of a street lamp or desk lamp with both physical lights set-up and surface material patterns built in to the .ssg file. Only way is to laboriously go through File > Import > 3D model - then find the file location. Would be so much more simple to drag and drop the preset from the library panel.

.ssg needs support in the Libraries panel ro suitable alternative option.

Thanks.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Import & Export , Lighting , Materials , Models

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
5 Comments
Contributor ,
Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking for a solution & hoping the community can help please. Please excuse my terminology if incorrectly used.

I have created various 3d models that I want to drag and drop into Substance 3D Stager scenes from the libraries panel to speed up workflow. I repeatedly use these models across various projects.

"File > Import > 3D model"  - then finding the files each time is laborious. Drag and drop much quicker.

Some of my models have textures/materials and include various "physical lights" - spot, area, direction or point, to speed up having prelit files ready to use.

Unfortunately, the libraries panel doesnt support the .ssg (Substance 3D Stager) file format which supports both textures and lighting, so I've investigated which file formats support draging and dropping from the libraries panel which support (a) materials and (b) physical lighting - spot, area, directional or point. 

I can't find any or any workflow or file format that provides whats needed. Some formats either (a) don't support importing materials with them or (b) Stager lighting.

.usd supports lighting but doesnt carry across textures. .glb supports textures but not lighting etc. Same with .obj, usdz, gltf or .fbx. All either have issues importing the textures/ materials or the lighting or cant be imported into the libraries panel.

If I drag and drop from Bridge or Windows file explorer, it swaps over the file instead of importing into the current scene.

Anyone any suggestions please?

Adobe - an idea - please support .ssg format in the libraries panel ASAP as this will solve it!

Thanks. Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @zarrdave,

Thanks for reporting.

As .FBX, .USD and other formats are able to contain materials as well as lights, I'm surprised the Creative Cloud libraries don't allow it. I'll try to contact the team in charge of these libraries and see if something can be done.

For the .SSG files this isn't that much surprising considering those are project files and not assets.

In the meantime, you'll have to keep importing your 3D Model trough File > Import > 3D Model in order to load everything at once.

Best regards,

Cyril Dellenbach (Micro) | QA Support Artist | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cyril,

Thanks for the response.

The clarify or add to this, I've created the models within Stager, so for example as a test  - a wall panel with some wall pictures, wall lights, wallpaper textures/ materials, sofa etc. I've then added Physical lights (example: a spotlight) to the wall light to illuminate the scene.

If I then try to export this, I have the option of saving as a .ssg, .gltf, .glb, .obj, .usd, .usda or usdz file format.

No export for .fbx unfortunately and .usd isnt supported in the libraries panel, only .usdz.

Whichever format I try to export, it either saves without the lighting inside when dragged back onto the libraries panel, or it creates a sub folder (called dependencies). So if I drag back into the livraries panel - say a .usdz file, then it doesnt show any lighting or materials.

As a test to illustrate:

• Create a cube.
  • Add a texture.
  • Add a light- try a spotlight, and illumate one side.
  • In the scene folder, put the cube and light into a new folder and name it.
  • Save your file as an .ssg. file for later.
  • File > Export > Selected - then save as a file name and format of your choice - lets use .usdz as that is supported by the libraries panel.
  • Create a new folder in the Assets > Libraries panel and drag and drop the newly created .usdz file into that folder.
  • re-open the .ssg file of not already open, so you can compare the original with the new .usdz file.
  • Then drag that previously saved .usdz file from the Libraries panel into the viewing/ modeling area.
  • You'll notice the materials and light dont show or appear like they did with the other one. In the "scene" panel, you'll also notice the lights dont appear in the directory structure, but the cube does, except the material doesnt show under the materials tab. The name exists, but the actual material thumbnail doesnt. Not sure if I'm explining myself very well so best compare the original cube with material, the the .usdz one dragged newly in.

Other formats that can be exported from Stager suffer from either materials or lighting omissions. For example, export as an .obj file and it saves a .obj file, a .mtl (unsupported file format in Libraries folder) and a sub folder full of .pngs. Folders arent supported so tried dragging across individually, but isnt recognised as a texture for the cube.

Basically, theres no work flow I can find to create a new 3D model inside Stager (not importing a 3d file from another program) that includes textures AND physical lighting (spot, area etc, not illumination), to then export that model and then drag back into the libraries panel, that then drag from the panel into an existing scene and keeps that lighting and textures.

Sorry, probably confusing, but hope there's a slim chance that helps illustrate the problem.

Thanks. Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://helpx.adobe.com/substance-3d-stager/getting-started/import-export-formats.html

This page shows supported export formats (OBJ, GLTF, GLB, USD*) but highlights the "stager cannot yet export individual lights".

*USD unsupported by the libraries panel so cant test but assume it would have issues as it creates a "dependancies" sub folder on export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe being able to export Stager files as .fbx is the answer if it supports includes both physical lighting (spot, area etc) AND all materials rather than the libraries panel supporting .ssg.

As long as I can drag & drop from the libraries panel, a 3D file format which retains the lighting and materials, then I'll be happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate