• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.DS_Store removal

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2016 Apr 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somehow, the invisible files are showing up. DS_Store and subsequent files. How do I get rid of them or at least turn them off so I can't see them again? Followed helpx.adobe.com/ and tried typing in UNIX code suggested in Terminal but it wouldn't recognize my password that works for everything else. I am the only person using this Mac. OS X El Capitan version 10.11.4. I've tried restarting and that didn't work either?

Message was edited by: Erin Downward

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 21, 2016 Apr 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't an Adobe issue. A Google search for your exact title of this post shows lots of results on how and why it is there as well as how to get rid of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2016 May 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you only know answers to issues related to adobe or anything relating to computers or electronics in general.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2016 May 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These forums are basically user-volunteer help for Adobe products. Going into OS or third party software is out of this board's range.

Official | Apple Support Communities  for anything Apple related.

And Quickly show and hide hidden files | Finder, Terminal | Mac OS X Tips for your question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2016 Jun 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Invisible files are not shown by default in the Finder, someone had to enable them.

You can find instructions on how to hide invisible files here http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/how-show-hidden-files-in-mac-os-x-finder-funter-352087...

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2016 Jun 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I cannot live without CleanMyDrive : CleanMyDrive 2: Manage and Clean External Drives

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2016 Jun 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Go on the web and look for the FREE application TinkerTool <https://www.bresink.com/osx/TinkerTool.html >. TinkerTool provide an easy access to features within the Mac OS that are otherwise hidden. One of these features that TinkerTool lets you control is whether invisible files are being seen or not. TinkerTool has been available for ages and ages and I've had a copy on my computer for a long long time. (Long before OS X.)

As far as what the .DS_Store files do is to remember the location of icons contained within a folder when not looking at the List View. To test this, open a folder in Icon view and arrange the icons in a very unique layout. Close the window and open the window. The icons will not have moved. Now toss the .DS_Store icon and close the window and open the window. The custom layout will have been removed. That's why its invisible and that's why it's a non-critical, but handy, item.

I do not have a clue what the DS stands for the but the "Store" is short for Storage. Nothing about shopping at a "store."

Please let us know if this solves your issue,

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines