• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Record Breaking Heatwaves

Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Land surface temperatures in some areas of Spain have hit more than 140F (60C) during the deadly heatwave sweeping Europe.  It was so hot that thermal maps that highlight scorching temperatures in red turned even darker – to black.

image.png

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/heatwave-in-spain-2023-weather-temperatures-b2374423...

Meanwhile, surface water temperatures off Florida's coast are exceeding 90F (highest on record). Coral reefs are being threatened.

image.png

Texas is in it's 3rd straight week of tripple digit temperatures. Solar & wind energy have kept Texas' flailing power grids running. More extreme heat expected for west coast and southwest.

image.png

So how hot is it where you are?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is perfectly normal in Texas. In Spain it's 109 degrees, not 140. It is called "Summer."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2023 Jul 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One woman in Texas has gone beyond merely frying an egg on the sidewalk to this— gives new meaning to green energy.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2023 Jul 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy we have always been able to fry an egg on the sidewalk in Texas, every summer someone does it and posts it. I'm sure we've also always been able to bake bread in the mailbox if we'd thought of it, but I don't know why we would. About 15 years ago, I had an Isuzu Trooper that had a thermometer that gave the temperature both outside and inside the car. One day I went into a store for 25 minutes and when I came out, the temperature inside the car was 139 degrees. It has nothing to do with "Global Warming." The Earth has been a lot warmer in its history than it is now.

-edit typo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quoteIt has nothing to do with "Global Warming." The Earth has been a lot warmer in its history than it is now.
By @Leslie Moak Murray

===========

The people who have died globally from extreme heat & flooding events would probably disagree.  But they're gone now and can't argue with you.  😶  Last summer, 62K Europeans died from extreme heat.  This year is on track to beat previous records.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/live/2023/jul/17/europe-heatwave-2023-us-asia-heat-extreme-s...

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I don't want to argue (it's too hot! ha), but personally I find The Guardian as a source, let alone an article called "Climate Crisis" to be unreliable.

edit typo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The numbers don't lie. We don't know yet what the "new normal" will look like. But the #ClimateCrisis is here.

WAPO: https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2023/07/12/climate-change-flooding-heat-wave-cont...

NYT: https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2023/07/12/climate-change-flooding-heat-wave-cont...

Farmers, State Farm, Allstate and AAA are the latest insurers to exit due to concerns about climate-change-related disaster claims.  Every home & business owner in the U.S. is being threatened with less insurance availability, higher premiums & deductibles and/or cancellation of existing insurance policies. 

Forbes: https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesbusinesscouncil/2023/06/08/how-insurers-can-help-customers-mitiga...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2023 Aug 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Guardian is not what it used to be. It's become very left-wing these days. It's not a credible source anymore!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Guardian is a Left-Wing rag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Landmark Court Decision:  Montana judge rules in favor of 16 young people in first ever climate change case

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/montana-judge-rules-in-favor-of-16-young-people-in-climat...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Average global temperatures per year from 1880 to 2023.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1694250973386993837

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here in sunny Scotland, it's 53°F

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here in North Carolina, folks have been saying it's been a mild spring and summer. Temps run between 88 and 95F. I've  been enjoying the heat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2023 Jul 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image.png

"Fish kill" is a result of warmer than average coastal water temps which give rise to oxygen depletion that causes fish to suffocate and die. Tens of thousands of dead fish have washed up along Texas' Gulf Coast since mid June.  As water temps rise, more "fish kill" events like this are expected in Gulf Coast states.  Due to unsafe bacteria levels, the public is urged to stay away from affected waters.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1668899736894447616

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want you to panic or think the world is ending, so please rest assured that this phenomenon is not uncommon in Texas:

"Fish kills like this are common in the summer when temperatures increase. If there isn't enough oxygen in the water, fish can't ‘breathe.’ Low dissolved oxygen in many cases is a natural occurrence," Texas Parks & Wildlife Kills and Spills Team said in a statement.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/why-thousands-of-dead-fish-washed-ashore-in-texas-18098237... 

-edit typo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Subtle changes in frequency & duration of "fish kill" events are signs of the effect climate change is having on our environment and food supply.  

Here in California, we're experiencing more frequent & longer lasting "Red Tides" (over production of red sea algae that suffocates fish) and deadly bacteria outbreaks in both fresh & salt water hatcheries.  Our fishing industry was nearly decimated for a year because local-caught fish was too toxic to eat.

I still can't get my favorite Sriracha sauce due to a 3 year long chili pepper shortage.  Drought in Mexico and depleting water supply in the Colorado River has led to a scarcity of the key ingredient, red jalapeños.  Black market bottles of the spicy Asian "Rooster Sauce" have surfaced for $70 to $120 a bottle.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy Sriracha, Batman!  My months-long search for "Rooster Sauce" finally paid off yesterday [insert fist pump].  I spotted 3 bottles on the shelf at a local market and scooped 1 up for $7. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an aside on the heat, some friends of ours are rebuilding their house, after it burned down, in Palm Springs. The husband of the architect that they're used died, yesterday from heat, while he was playing golf.

Here, near Charlotte, NC, it's been in the 90s for about a week. It cooled down to a nice 80-87 today. I went and put my foot in the lake, and it felt like a hot bath. Got my thermometer and checked tje temp. It is 95. The neighbor says the lake always gets hot in the summer and isn't refreshing to go swimming. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not diminishing loss of life in any way. It's truly tragic.  But nobody should be outdoors in the desert except in early AM and sundown.  Siesta time is an ancient survival skill that more of us should practice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. It is crazy to be out in heat like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2023 Aug 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maui is burning!  Fueled by hurricane force winds colliding with an ultra hot high pressure system. Experts call this the worst climate catastrophe we've seen.  Coast guard rescues 12 who escaped flames by jumping into the sea.

Video https://twitter.com/i/status/1689369453081858048

BBC https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66451821

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate to tell you, but the Earth is warming, and it does not necessarily have anything to do with man.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/04/190411115221.htm

From the article:

"In fact, Earth's default climate seems to be warm and balmy. Periods with no glaciers dominated for three-quarters of the past 1 billion years."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Below is an except from a Twitter/X reply I sent to climate change denier, House Speaker McCarthy.

Fossil fuel burn has doubled Co2 levels. Seawater pH has dropped, acidity has risen 30%.
How long can sealife live in VINEGAR?
How will this impact global FOOD supply?
You can't deny it forever, you know.  #ClimateCrisisIsReal.

At the present rate of warming & attrition, 2/3 of Earth's glaciers will be gone in 75 years. We can expect to see many more events like this.
Glacier melt wipes out homes in Alasaka

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2023 Aug 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hurricane Hilary is heading to Southern California & Arizona. 

• Expect high winds & flooding rains this weekend. 
  • If you don't have adequate supplies on hand, GET THEM. 
  • Anticipate road closures and power outages.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/17/weather/tropical-storm-hilary-thursday/index.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2023 Aug 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a friend, from LA, who just went to Cabo. Not the place to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines