• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Show us UR Pets

Engaged ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well here's my kat. He's a cantankerous, lazy, overweight, always hungry, fraidy-cat but I guess that's why I like him. Not an easy client to photograph though. And here's my pet Parrot. I like him a lot! He always talks to me. His favorite phrase is "It's hot". and "What's up". He's my pal.

look-into-my-eyes.jpg

u-classy-bird.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My boys

Billy

and Ruby

He's a bit tricky.  Sometimes he sits differently and deliberately throws off the sundial calibration, making us think it is dinner time way earlier than it actually is. 

This is Ruby's mum Bella, who sadly got run over.  She used to go hunting in the vineyards, and bring us back a tasty rabbit.  We were surprised to find out she was half a kilometre away when she got run over.  Thankfully, Ruby is too timid to roam, but he is the most gentle cat we have had, and never uses his claws.  I am loath to share this picture as it has been sharpened to within an inch of its life, and has lots of blown pixels, but I no longer have the original RAW file

We have various assorted budgies.  One died while Chris was away some years back, and I replaced it with what I 'thought' was a close enough clone (it had wings and a beak, and made the right noises) but Chris saw through it in an instant. 

Not really pets, but Ruby sometimes lets these guys sit on the sundial.

Chris does not like dogs, and won't let me have one.  I had two English Setters and a Border Collie back in the UK, and I would dearly love to have a dog here.  I walk the neighbour's dogs when they are away, but it is not the same thing.

Nice idea for a thread Cactus.  I am looking forward to seeing Dave's pet whippet, Ged's Irish Wolf Hound and Jane's not quite tame Mountain Lion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

She has now passed from old age, but our Serval at about 3, helping replace a ceiling bulb

LADDER.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Goodness John!  I am impressed.  What sort of experience was it looking after what I suspect was a not entirely domesticated cat?   I just happened to have been reading about the Asian Leopard cat a few days, in the context of it being crossed with domestic breads in the creation of breads like the Bengal.  One of the most astonishing things I took from that article was the price some people are willing to pay for such an exotic bread, with $40,000 being at the top end of that scale.  But I also read that the closer a particular cat's breading is to the Asian Leopard cat, the more difficult it is to truly domesticate them.

The Bengal cat above is beautiful, but pictures I found of Serval cats knocked it right out of the park when it comes to feline beauty. Those huge ears are extraordinary, and you have to think the result of many many years of evolution.   It must have been a privilege and a joy to have such a cat as a pet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2018 Mar 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having a house Serval was an "interesting" thing to do

She was fairly typical cat in some ways... alternating friendly and aloof... and HOT when she would stretch her long body out next to you at night (I don't remember the number, but cats do have a higher than human temp)

She was also not always that dainty... a small cat will walk around things... she kept to HER path and anything in her way moved, such as being knocked off a shelf

We have a regular domestic cat now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hoping this thread might run and run.  It's a well known scientific fact that content creators, and especially those who use Adobe applications,are good sorts and animal lovers.  When you take into account Madison's Forum Stats, there are potentially thousands of pet pictures ready to fill this thread.

Sadly, my Billy had to be put to sleep today, and I'd welcome some nice happy pictures of your pets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So sorry Trevor that you had to put down Billy. I hope you have lots of photos for memories and that as time passes you may be able to welcome / rescue / adopt another pet for surely you have the heart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Sadly, my Billy had to be put to sleep today, and I'd welcome some nice happy pictures of your pets.

I'm so sorry to hear about Billy, Trevor.

I'll look for some cat pictures today. We lost two Siamese within the year or two and I now have one Maine Coon who is probably 18 years old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2018 Mar 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Trevor.Dennis​! I was drinking my morning coffee scrolling through your quite lovely photos until I got to the last one and choked!

But yes, that is my mountain lion, and quite tame.

IMG_4952.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait - what? Jane you have a mountain lion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Celeste, I was keeping it a secret because it's illegal in the Commonwealh of Virginia to keep mountain lions for pets. Somehow Trevor managed to get a photo, and I'd like to know what kind of lens he used that can go halfway around the world.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least, I always wanted a domestic cat that was the size of a mountain lion. And I'll never forget the look my husband gave me every time he told me it would never happen and explained why it would be a bad idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Littermates Curry and Pepper.  Pepper is no longer with us - Curry (now 14) is still hanging out.

curry-pepper.gifcurry.jpg Pepper in the window.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my favorite picture of my two Siamese. One died a year ago; the other a year or two before that. I got one as a kitten and the other when she was a year old. They were inseparable. The dark one was demented and mean to everyone except the two of us. The light one was as sweet as sweet could be. We loved both of them.

IMG_4964.JPG

The Maine Coon arrived several years later with my husband. She was an instant enemy of my two. Most of the time. Not always. Not when it was cold. This amused us greatly. Here she is with one of my Siamese.

IMG_4963.JPG

A closeup of one who died last spring.

IMG_4962.JPG

Here is the Maine Coon while I am trying to study for an Access class.

IMG_4961.JPG

Here is the Maine Coon right now. And she is the only one left.

IMG_4969.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my cat - he'll be three in April, and is very social and affectionate.

When I'm doing things outside, he often wants to join in, and these three pictures were taken while I was testing a lens, using a tripod.

He positioned himself inside the frame several times.

To see him properly, right click the images, and open in new tab.

2017-10-29 10-34-32 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4).jpg2017-11-18 12-18-07 (B,Radius4,Smoothing4).jpg2017-11-18 12-41-29 (B,Radius4,Smoothing4).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where were these shot and what camera and lens. Man that's some serious hills all those homes are built on looks like maybe Colorado or such. Nice photos BTW!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is southern Norway, Telemark county, 180 km west from Oslo. I live in the house in the first image.

I used a Fujifilm GFX 50S with a 32-64 zoom lens, which I had just received and was testing. It's an excellent camera with stunning image quality, but I wasn't satisfied with the zoom (I tried three copies). So I returned it and bought a 45 and a 63mm instead, which are both very good lenses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy smokes man...8256 x 6192px max resolution images, 51mpx sensor! Those are huge pictures. You'd sure get some serious detail that's for sure. No wonder your pictures are so sharp. That's a nice camera for sure. Norway huh, I'd sure love to see Norway but since I can't visit I'm going to have to request you take your new toy and shot up the country for us so we can enjoy it through your eyes. Think you can do that? No rush, just don't leave the house without your camera. We'll wait. I'm surprised no one has posted a picture of a pet snake yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pixel count is of course important for detail, but equally important is the physical size of the sensor - this is is a medium format camera with a 33 x 44 mm sensor. And you also need good lenses, and the Fuji GF lenses are world class.

I'd sure love to see Norway but since I can't visit I'm going to have to request you take your new toy and shot up the country for us so we can enjoy your it through your eyes.

I'll see what I can do

In the meantime, here's the view from one of the bedrooms. The lake in the background is called Tinnsjøen, and is one of the deepest lakes in Europe, 460 meters. Which means that the bottom is 270 meters below sea level.

_DSF1088.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the Kat again. If he ain't eating he's sleeping.

always-sleeping.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is Bengy a 5 year old boarder collie that needed a home when my older dog Peppie pasted this year... he is on his way to the beach!

WP_20171222_001.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at the excitement on his face.     He looks like a youngster on his way to the ice-cream parlour by way of McDonalds.

jane-e​  Thanks for your thoughts re Billy.  He was a dear wee thing, and I really loved him.  After the vet had prodded his tummy and said it was not looking good, he wriggled away and climbed up on me and clung on with his head in my face.  I am not embarrassed to say that I lost it at that point.  Ruby is timid and shy, and we have several gangs of tradespeople coming and going for the next few months, so probably not a good time to be getting a kitten.

Can I see you for a few tips on keeping these guys in the house when I get the all clear?  It would be a shame to have your expert knowledge go untapped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do sympathize about Billie. Cats are never with us long enough. At least she knew she had a good home and was loved.

Now everyone else is gone and the 18-year-old cat is the only one left, and I don't know how much longer even she will be here. It was endless amusement having three cats, even if they didn't all like each other.

If you don't want the three in your photo, send them to me—they should make nice pets for at least a year! Or maybe less.

If a cat could be a big cat and be domestic, that's what I would like to have, is what I always said when we walked around the big cat enclosures at the National Zoo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We saw a Jackson Galaxy episode last night which featured a Savannah cat named Zeus.  Savannahs are a domestic/Serval cross, and a bit of a handful — especially in a small apartment as was the case with the Jackson Galaxy cat.  It made me think of John's Serval, and this comment.

John T Smith  wrote

She was also not always that dainty... a small cat will walk around things... she kept to HER path and anything in her way moved, such as being knocked off a shelf

There's a bit of that behaviour in this clip from the show

But what a beautiful cat it is.  It moves like a leopard, and is definitely on the large side for a domestic cat.  We empathised with the damage Zeus did to the apartment door.  Our Ruby has wrecked our front door by jumping up to let himself in — he just makes a terrible howl when he wants to be let out, and if that does not work, he attacks the lounge curtains which drives my Chris mad LOL. 

You can see that he has completely destroyed the moulding at the bottom of the panel in the shot below.  The handle lends itself to feline acrobatics — how on earth do they work out that jumping up to that handle will open the door?  Zeus made the same connection, which suggests that cats are not so far behind dogs when it comes to intelligence. They are just too aloof to do tricks for their human masters slaves.

Getting back to our front door, there has been more than one occasion when I have gone to bed and forgotten to lock it, and woken the next morning to find it wide open!  Burglars would need to be up bright and early to make use of it, because if Ruby is in with the run of the house, he will be bouncing on my head demanding to be fed at the very first crack of dawn.  

Our new windows and doors are going to be fitted starting this coming Monday, and we had to put a lot of thought into making the entrance door Ruby proof with a round door knob and no horizontal components to hang from.  The round knob did not stop Zeus though. I was thinking about one of those cat scaring gizmos that uses a passive infra-red switch to trigger a quick squirt of water, but I don't think they can differentiate between cats and postman, and that wouldn't go down well.

This is _so_ true to life

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your post of the door-opening cat reminded me of this song about a tree-climbing dog. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines