Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something we all can relate to.

Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CzPJt_dUoAE3Ms0.jpg

We can make this a thread to post relevant cartoons, photo edits, memes and other assorted witticisms.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 732 Replies 732
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5722f85c6d47f.jpg

This is so true

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 30, 2017 Sep 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a deep Aspy, with an Aspy daughter (35, Lutheran pastor in North Dakota) ... and a 'full' autistic son (19), who graduate high in his high school class without accomodations in high school and is in his second year of transfer-classes at a local community college prior to transfer to 4-year. (He had like a 3.98 cum in HS, taking chemistry, Spanish, the highest math they had, the full load of college prep.)

I saw a study recently of testing empathy and sympathy between Autistic and Allistic (normal) folk. Normal folk did a much better job looking and sounding sympathetic, but ... that's as far as most actually went. Doing something later? Maybe 10-15%.

The Autistic ones did not do as well in the "Oh, gee ... " area. However, they had a far higher rate of actually trying to do something about the other person's plight. Around 40-50%.

Who's actually more sympathetic?

One example of how a full Aut may think that I've seen used the example of a female co-worker who wears a blue dress Monday, looks very nice in it, everybody compliments her. Tuesday she wears an over-tight poorly designed (for her figure) red dress , which makes her look a lot ... fuller in the middle, perhaps ... than she actually is.

All the Allistic's still compliment her. Then at the water-cooler, dump on her fashion sense.

The Aut-boy, wanting to actually help, tells her privately the red dress makes her look fat and she should go home and change to the blue dress because she looks so much better in it and people are mocking her over the red dress.

It's actually a very sincere attempt to help ... and also, such an epic FAIL to be beyond understanding for most Allistic people.

Life is not always easy on the outside looking in. What's the difference really between Lars (Autistic diagnosis), and Anna and myself (Aspergers)?

We're like the woman who's early in pregnancy so not showing unless you really look in the right clothes at the right angle. We're fully Autistic, we just don't seem so obviously to most people. We don't do stimming and such in a way that others catch, as they see easily with Lars.

But the part of the brain that handles subtle social cues from the eyes & ears for other people, active since birth, and which for some carries 50-60% of the total "communication" received from another and "sends" just as much ... doesn't work in our brains. No, it's not so gross as to be even close to "body language" ... this is tiny activity around mouth, nose, eyes, and very slight changes in breathing and vocal tension while someone is speaking. If you do this, you can't sense it any more than you know exactly which muscle is firing at exactly what percentage ... every muscle ... when you lift your leg.

Don't think about it, do you? I mean, have you ever been able to consciously control every minute separate muscle attached to your legs?

So Anna and I don't do any better than Lars at "receiving" up to half the content we're just expected to get. And as we aren't controlling those subtle things like others do, our "sending" as we talk drives some people bonkers. Particularly, they know we're lying, faking, or hiding something ... that happens a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We could see Mt. Hood from our property until some houses were built across a grass-seed field next to a school on our east side. Barely occluded Mt. Hood, we were bummed. It's ... 145 miles away, something like that. The Willamette Valley has areas varying from flat to rolling, and areas of hills here and there. To our east view is the South Salem hills, to our north east is the West Salem Hills, and as they're on opposite sides of the river, there's a gap between them which is where Mt. Hood peeks through.

Those two sections of hills ain't much for hills around here ... what, 700-feet, maybe close to 900 in a few spots, well above the valley floor's 160 feet or so. Several miles long, a couple miles wide.

Our daughter went to the Lutheran Seminary at Gettysburg, in Pennsy ... and found that back there, something like those hills is a mountain range. Seriously! She was stunned. We barely think of the Coast Range as mountains, more a mountainous area, you know? They run the entire length of the state's ocean side, 30 to 60 miles wide west to east. But the top peak is only 4,100 feet. Now, it's 28 miles from the Pacific, which you can see on a clear day, with views to Ranier (east of Tacoma) to the Three Sisters of the Cascades ... and you can drive much of the way to the top. It's about a 45 miles drive from home.

Real mountains are at least 7,000 foot, extending well above timberline so the top is solid rock, and naturally snow covered much if not all the year. Obviously!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of us are from the Atlantic seaboard, first stop for most 19th c. migration. The Appalachians and the Catskills are old worn down mountains, so I suppose it's how those from the east see it.

Speaking of Oregon,

There have been some serious fires out at the Columbia River area making for viral photos that "must have been Photo...ah...edited."

http://fortune.com/2017/09/07/eagle-creek-oregon-golf-picture/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 01, 2017 Oct 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the caption says, the fire was across the Columbia, about a mile away from them ... so it wasn't quite that close!

Lewis & Clark were told about this massive mountain area ahead ... yea, they knew all about mountains, yada yada yada. "No, you seem not to understand. Big mountains. Many days hard work for little distance" ... oh, yea, yada yada. They knew mountains, sheesh.

Going across the Montana prairie, the went north of one range in central Montana that well ... was rather impressive, they thought. And started seeing this line of hills on the horizon. Natives say, those not hills, but the mountains we talk of.

L&C think that as they can see them, it's a one or two day bit to get to them.

A week later, they got to where the prairies sweep down to the river valley that runs along the east side of the Rockies there, not very wide ... and the other side ... goes up ... and up ... to snow-capped mountains year-round.

Like they'd never seen. They were ... stunned.

Natives say, these small, just foothills. L&C thinking they can't be foothills, still think natives exaggerating that others worse, and many ranges like this one to go, following on for many, many days travel. As it turned out, they were right ...

Of course, they were actually very lucky that trip, and didn't come across any main party of Blackfoot even though crossing much of their territory. Might easily have been no completed trip had they done so, Blackfoot not having been happy with folks crossing their 'hood. Ha.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is supposed to be "hyper-coffee" the stuff that keeps you up from morning to midnight. Like craft-beer brewers, there are so many indie brands out there, tongue-in-cheek humor helps in the branding. They never thought botulism would bring out the irony.

https://www.deathwishcoffee.com/pages/why-death-wish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are only as old, as you are feeling

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a completely different subject; breakfast, anyone?

Breakfast.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really want to try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fark_9mwEFa6pfNgNL6VZgQSgRRpaYiw.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hah!  Terrible puns.  That actually took me a moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I love that one. Puns on so many levels. Thanks!

--OB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, OB. There are days that I wonder why I don't think of things like this. Just have to be content to pass them around, I guess.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this what Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull) meant by "Heavy Horses"?

heavy horse.jpg

-- OB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 12, 2017 Oct 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha! fun thread, gener7,

If ui changes improve our workflow, I'm good with them.
And as a creative . . . . if I'm not on deadline, I enjoy figuring out ui updates.

Best wishes,

Cher

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Coming soon, to a music store near you!

Air Guitar.jpg

On a similar theme:

Stereo 2 Mono.jpg

--OB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at the bright side,wisdom comes with experience,strength,and age.(deep desire)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

STOP-TEXTING-DUDE.jpg

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume that cat has both teeth and claws removed which makes it more sad than funny in my mind

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ussnorway  wrote

I assume that cat has both teeth and claws removed which makes it more sad than funny in my mind

The claws are intact.  I don't know about the teeth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

Can you use Photoshop and find out if the teeth are still there? funnygrin-1.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Peru+Bob  wrote

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea   wrote

Can you use Photoshop and find out if the teeth are still there? funnygrin-1.gif

That would be with the CSI plug-in

He certainly lives an exciting life, but I suspect he can easily afford a custom dishdasha made from Kevlar. 

And the cheetah has at least one tooth

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/06/16/10/35578AF900000578-3644413-image-m-2_1466068295718.jpg

Going off a tangent, how the heck do they cut Kevlar to make clothing out of it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upper fang removal is sometimes performed on exotic cats.  But these cats are so domesticated, they're hardly apt to pounce on anyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Different.jpeg

Chicken2Ride.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Poor animal!

This "salopard"* represents everything I hate.

(As a biker I am also allergic to texting while driving)

* I wrote it in French otherwise it's censored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines