Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something we all can relate to.

Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CzPJt_dUoAE3Ms0.jpg

We can make this a thread to post relevant cartoons, photo edits, memes and other assorted witticisms.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 732 Replies 732
Guide ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as a note, and not that it makes it right, but of the big cats, cheetahs are the most controllable and trainable. African Kings and Shahs, from the Pharaohs on down, have used them as hunting animals since ancient times -- the way Europeans use hunting dogs.

Indeed, that removal from the wild and controlled inbreeding by man is one big reason the cheetahs are in such a genetic crisis today. Even among the still wild populations, the genetic variation is so slender and narrow that breeding almost any two cheetahs is tantamount to breeding first cousins. This came to light years ago, once zoos had the ability to do genetic testing on their animals to make sure they weren't breeding animals whose bloodlines were too close. Worldwide, they couldn't find a decent non-relative match for any cheetah in captivity. Since then, testing on the wild population has yielded no better results. The genetic line may already be too narrow. Sadly, the species may already be doomed.

(And, yes. I watch way too much National Geographic, Nature, etc. etc...)

-- OB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lemons.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Catitude

Cat-Buddha.jpg

Gotta love it.

-- OB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

14507039534782.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. I guess we old-timers are lucky. We grew up with only one fear:

32-h-bomb-explosion.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These last two posts ... one after the other ... such a hoot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OldBob1957  wrote

Wow. I guess we old-timers are lucky. We grew up with only one fear:

Oh, we had a few others. the Draft and being shipped to Vietnam. On the other hand we had some good music to go with it.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bert the Turtle

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

66 years on and we have been lucky enough not to have found out how good that advice is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wrote

66 years on and we have been lucky enough not to have found out how good that advice is.

Amen.

--OB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So let's kick the day off with a squirrel photo session.

DPQMqTkX4AMgq40.jpg_orig.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good news!

Windows10PLAEN-640x353.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, it's working great for me. Far fewer problems with PrPro than some of my Mac acquaintances are having ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well a lot of people are finding out their new Surface Pro 4 has tourette but my two systems are doing well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well a lot of people are finding out their new Surface Pro 4 has tourette

Ha ... funny for me, of course, as I don't have one ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought of this Chris Slane cartoon after doing exactly this in my garage come workshop, and managing to throw out about the same amount as this shed user.   You look at those offcuts of hardwood, and think I can make a tiny tiny cheeseboard out of that, and the scrap metal with similar thoughts (not metal cheeseboards though).  Worst of all are the lbs and lbs of odd screws, nuts bolts — much of it used — and you 'know' that you'll never use them.  At least we store all those manuals and user guides as PDF files on a few square nonometres of drive nowadays.  My workshop is looking 'much' tidier and might even stay that way for a week, and I did manage to part with some of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my dad had one of these... two trucks to take it all to the tip after he died

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well you live in fear of needing that old part you threw out and having to buy it again, if it's still made. My former property owner moved down south after his mother died and one garage in his unit was a tool shed. The new owner wanted it empty. Of interest to me were the old out of code ungrounded outlets still in their boxes.

There have been some extreme estate sales here my neighborhood. A retired teacher bought an a 9 unit apartment in 1969 and was forced to rent one unit in accordance with city regulations. The rest of the units, he filled with anything he could find. Old TVs, cameras, film developer chemicals. When he died, the estate sellers told me they removed two tons of scrap and sold most of the obsolete gear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha. I'll have you know, I resemble that cartoon!

On our property, we have a 3,000 square foot "machine shed" ... one of the farm buildings built all over the US over the last 30 years, concrete slab floor and walls to three foot high all round, metal i-beam supports for the 20-foot tall roof. Metal clad for roof & siding. Huge sliding doors for the combines & large tractors to drive in/out.

We have take to referring to it as the Room of Requirement. If you are familiar with the Harry Potter series, you'll ... know.

Need a desk? Sure ... go grab your pick. Camping gear? Probably got what you need. Another dining chair or four? Um ... dining table, again, take your pick. Our kids and those of a family that is practically our family are in/out of there every once in a while, storing something and taking a few other things.

And complaining that ​they'll​ get stuck with cleaning all that out in a few years.

I just look over the stuff they're hauling out a moment ... then look back at them a moment ... and say ... your point ... is?

Ha.

Well ... and then there's the other four outbuildings on the property also ... the woodshop building ... loafing shed ... a couple cabins ... um ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/R+Neil+Haugen  wrote

Ha. I'll have you know, I resemble that cartoon!

Unfortunately, so do I.

I own a three story building attached to an adjacent two story building that houses a Hardware and Appliance Store that my wife and I operate. Only the first floors of each building house the business.  My "stuff" is on the other floors.

I have promised my daughter that I will have it all cleaned out before my wife and I pass away because for some reason she doesn't want my old 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 floppies, pieces and parts of all the computers, electronics, tools, sports equipment, household items, scrap metal, and furniture I have accumulated.

And oh, I almost forgot the two basements and a couple of outbuildings.  And then there is the stuff at home...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Peru+Bob  wrote

for some reason she doesn't want my old 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 floppies, pieces and parts of all the computers ... I have accumulated.

With sincere apologies to Barbara Streisand et. al., as well as to everyone here, I give you; my theme song (well, one of them):

MEMORY (Machines that were)

Memory,

From machines I've left behind.

Dusty DIMMs and SIMMs of memory,

From machines that were.

Scattered pieces,

From the corners of a drawer.

Parts we'd trade to one another,

From machines that were.

It just seems that it was all so simple then.

We thought Bill's software was just fine.

If we had the chance to boot it once again, tell me ...

Would we? Could we?

Memory,

Once so bountiful and yet,

Once it's pulled out for an upgrade.

It's so easy to forget.

So it's the good times,

We will remember,

Whenever we remember,

Machines that were!

And always remember; old programmers do it bit by bit! 

--OB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wow ... actually had me in tears ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The more I thought about this ... much as Miriam and I were two of the first adopters of digital cameras for high-end portraiture in our state, and since have been so totally pixelated ... I've been asked if I could remove digital imaging from existence, forcing everyone to go back to film and processing, would I? Go back to lugging the 30 pounds of photo gear to all shoots, waiting for film to be developed, messing with the chemistry in the processors, repairing processors overnight instead of sleeping ... would I?

Realistically ... you give me that choice, you're ​all​ losing all your pixels!

We were in a respected trade, there were many other studios like ours, most in our professional organization. They were our peers, our friends ... and a great community of interesting people to have meetings and conventions with. In Oregon, back up through the 90's, we'd have several hundred people at our awards banquet for the annual convention.

The Professional Photographers of Oregon is long gone. Was "merged" into a "semi-pro" group based in Portland. Rather than a couple hundred families in Oregon making their middle-class living from their portrait studio ... there's ours and maybe three or four others. Everyone else with a "studio" ... has a spouse who makes the actual pay-the-bills living.

I miss our peers, our friends, the comradeship. While spending my time working the video post apps for Adobe, and actually loving it ... now going into Ae in a major way to work with the cool new EGP stuff ... I'm really such a dinosaur.

The "professional photographers" we are around now sell a few prints here and there. Some make a few thousand throughout the year. It's so rare to meet another photographer who actually lives by that income.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines