Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something we all can relate to.

Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CzPJt_dUoAE3Ms0.jpg

We can make this a thread to post relevant cartoons, photo edits, memes and other assorted witticisms.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 732 Replies 732
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the risk of getting too politial which I don't want,  I know the calendar gag  was sophomoric and offensive (that was the whole point) and I apologize if it ruffled any feathers.  BTW, I did not create it but I thought it was hilarious and that's why I posted it.  

IMO, BK's testimony at his last "job interview" before the Senate Judiciary Committee was equally offensive and revealing of his true character under fire.  He failed the test.   Few people know this but Majority Leader, Mitch McConnel  didn't want BK.  Trump insisted however so at this point, that's what they're stuck with warts & all.   Meanwhile, the FBI had 40+ other people itching to talk to them about BK.  But of course they didn't because that's not what the  White House ordered. 

I hope & pray for a good outcome on Friday even though I don't realistically expect anything less than confirmation.  One final fly in the ointment is this:  BK will be asked to recuse himself from every liberal case that comes before him on ANY court.  So maybe, just maybe a judicial impeachment proceeding is in the offing.   We'll have to wait and see. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So ... if you can provoke someone long and hard enough, after they've been through many FBI investigations, and several confirmation hearings without anything other than totally professional behavior ... and finally get something emotional out of them ... you can trash an entire distinguished career.

I clearly would never want you judging me for anything. But that's must my personal opinion, of course. And I'm fascinated, you know the mind of Senator McConnell, who did he want?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FBI vetting for a SC nominee is  cursory at best.  They 302 friends, family, neighbors and colleagues.

Advise and Consent is a process, not a witch hunt.  Neil Gorsich had no problems getting through the confirmation hearings, did he? 

There were 25 judges on Trump's long list.  Brett Kavanaugh, Raymond Kethledge and Amy Coney Barrett were on the short list.   McConnel wanted a woman to help align the party to women voters in November.   Make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Optics, eh?

And ... have you ever been interviewed by the FBI for a background check for someone? Interesting process.

As to Gorsuch, well ... that wasn't possibly going to change the "political balance" of the court. The knives were mostly sheathed during that process. Kavanaugh's presence was quite professional during the normal part of the Senate hearings. As his presence has been on the Court for several years now.

But I realize a life & career don't matter if the optics aren't good ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2018 Oct 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been reading this from post 389 onwards with growing disbelief. This isn't about BK personally, and it certainly shouldn't be about his "distinguished career". Is a supreme court seat a reward? What I don't get is - how could anyone want the supreme court as openly political as this turns out to be? This person sits for life, not like a president that can get thrown out.

Over here in Europe all this is completely unheard of, and we don't understand what's happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be specific - I hear this means Roe vs Wade might get overturned down the road. To me, that's a political question that should be decided by elected politicians (like it is in Europe).

Yes, we've all been taught that the US Supreme Court has a more directly political role than it does in other Western democracies. But that was before - this is getting out of hand. Do you really want decisions to be made based on a perceived "revenge from the Hillary Clinton democrats"?

EDIT: I'm trying to be careful here, but Trevor hit the nail on the head and said it much better than me. Blimey's the word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an 1800 page, two volume set of books on my shelf titled Discipline and Removal of Federal Judges. I may have to read it to see what, if anything, it says about removing BK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On what grounds? What evidence of wrong-doing on his part?

In detail please. "His demeanor" at the second set of hearings, which I watched and did not find objectionable, means I could demand the removal of most public officials.

Apparently, there are those who feel that simply raising an accusation is enough. If the accused can't prove it absolutely false then ... that's it.

Which takes justice back a few centuries.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those who wish not to hear or see are deaf and blind!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kat, tell me exactly what evidence you have of BK being a poor justice, or really, anything against the man?

Those who wish not to hear or see are deaf and blind!

Unless you have something, which none of the Demo Senators could find, well ... I'd have to throw that back at you.

​Evidence,​ Kat. Reality. Not feelings.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the evidence in either case...? Why believe one and not the other???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I watched all of the hearings. I respect all who held judgement. But to say there was no pressure in the final decision is a laughing matter... enough said.

I do respect all opinions here and hopefully we are still a democratic society where all opinions count! I will vote as my conscious demands and pray that everyone will wake up SOONer rather than later!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, compared to the big T he's a saint, so why not.

Personally, I'm scared witless by all these ultra-right-wingers that seem to pop up everywhere now. This one's probably no worse than the others. But what really scares me is the extreme polarization happening now (which, historically, has always ended in disaster) - and BK cranked that up another notch in the hearings, with his implication of a Democrat "conspiracy". That alone disqualified him IMO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow ... I'm amazed by people scared of all these right wingers.

Let's see ... with modern security, getting into the Capital building is pretty hard. You need to either have signed up weeks ahead of time or be on a list created by a Senator or Representative. When we toured Washington a few years back, a simple 2-3 days check for availability wasn't enough.

All those lefty protesters in the BK hearings in the hearings ... how did they get in?

The people that accosted several Republican Senators in hallways & elevators ... how did they get there? You and I couldn't ... so tell me, how is that happening?

Across the US, anyone ​not​ "progressive" speaking at a college campus needs security ​if the campus allows the presentation​. Not because of right-wingers behaving badly, but the left. And not "progressive" includes anyone who believes in the primacy of the individual, believes if free speech and thought, or speaks against group/identity politics. Look at UC/Berkely. The home of "free speech" back in the 60's when I was in high school, now shuts down anyone that isn't speaking to the popular line.

Even openly Liberal speakers like Alan Dershowitz are protested. He's a classical Liberal, though, not a Progressive. So yes, he does believe in free speech whether or not he agrees with what's being or will be said.

I live near Portland, Oregon. The "antifa" claims to be anti-facist, but is by far the closest thing to brown-shirts I've seen in my life. Happy to burn down businesses during their own 'protests' and attack at other group's protests.

I'm not much into protest marches myself ... but for the life of me, if you ​do​ believe in the freedom of the individual, then why in the world would you go to someone else's little pity party to yell at them? Do your own thing. Just leave others alone.

And I'm a little past patient with people who distort the views of someone, then use that distortion to attack them in very strong words ... then decry how polarized things have become. My prog friends (Oregon is a very "blue" state) talk openly in terms my Uncle would never have used in public, when referring to anyone they politically disagree with. He was a bigot against blacks, no question. He grew up in Chicago in the '00's and teens of the 1900's, in a poor South Side area. In reality, all the ethnic groups had their blocks they "defended" and he finally concluded the black kids were probably no worse. At about age 85.

Still for most of my life I was quite aware of his bigotry. In public ... which included if more than four people or anyone outside immediate family was present, he simply wouldn't have said a thing. Even in private, his comments were rather modest. I challenged him directly, and it was a subject that lasted until his final admission he'd probably been wrong.

In all those years, he ​never​ behaved or commented about the objects of his bigotry the way my Prog friends do daily. And they can't even see that they are distorting and coloring everything they talk about. I've been told directly that no, if I say X, it's only because I really believe Y and there's no other explanation so don't lie about it.

Actually, I do believe precisely what I say. And I do not appreciate friends or other saying that I actually think X.

Disagree ... please, but ... be polite. Don't distort other's comments.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't wait for the November midterms .  

2018 House Forecast | FiveThirtyEight

<When you have five people who aren't elected nor "touchable"  by anyone make a decision for the entire society rather than waiting for the legislative process, as slow and often ugly as it is, to decide ... you end up with a large part of the citizenry feeling they aren't seen as citizens anymore, but as subjects.>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for those links, Nancy. Some hard to ignore realities. And how ironic that this discussion came up in a thread titled "Something we can all relate to"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I meant the name to cover jokes, design fails, photography oddities like the overhanging skyscraper in Macao, trade humor and the like. Sort of a break from serious stuff.

Right now I'm content to let the Kavenaugh debate run its course...and we'll hopefully move on when everyone feels they've had their say.

Politics does tend to derail the basic idea, and I don't want anyone to feel like things are going hostile for them.

So maybe a Political Cage Match thread for thrashing out those differences?

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm done, Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blimey ... Trevor ... I think truth is rather in the eye of the beholder.

These are nicely selected shots ... do you trot these out for say Hilary? Madame Pelosi? Senator Schumer? Because of course, one can very easily find exactly the same for those.

So ... according to your post ... precisely according to your post ... if someone can produce such pics of any public figure, they should be ridiculed and driven from public life.

Which is a despicable stand.

Mr. Kavanaugh had what, 30 hours of time with the Senate, during the normal set of hearings. Even with the stunning antics of several Democratic Senators, he kept a very precise cool. Including when Senator Booker claimed to have a memo that the Republican leadership was keeping secret and would SHOW TO THE WORLD! that BK supported racial profiling. Booker's famous "Spartacus" moment. He was going to risk expulsion to show the world what evil things the Republican leadership was doing.

That was an amazing bit of theatrics, but somehow ... neither Mr. Booker nor his staff had clearly read the memo (which was available to them) before it was released. And ... that memo had been asked to be released the evening before, and within an hour of the request, had been released. So it had been released, his staff had been informed, the night before. Mr. Booker didn't realize this. Then he demanded BK read the memo aloud to the committee ... which said very directly, that racial profiling is not acceptable nor legal and anything that even appeared to be racial profiling needed to be avoided. Period.

At which point Mr. Booker backed way off and pretty quickly yielded his time. Should have been embarassed ... he'd ranted about BK supporting such things, accused him of lying when testifying he never had, and when he produced his "proof" ... it proved BK was pushing the exact opposite of what Mr. Booker had insisted BK both believed and had acted upon.

In fact, this happened in similar fashion at several points ... accused of this or that in angry diatribes, and when the appropriate documents or other witnesses were provided ... um, wrong accusation again. Over and over.

Which is why at the end of the normal hearings, he was still standing as a solid nominee.

Hence, the "leaking" of the letter accusing BK of ... what? Even when testifying, Ms. Ford's testimony was ... variable. Lacking in specifics except for a few things, such as who was "there" and what not, however, those specifics changed depending on the telling. And not one of the people she insisted were there had any such recollection.

Looking at that supposed incident, well ... teen parties with no parents around have poor outcomes. Which never stops teens from having them. I've heard quite a few say that if you said that anyone who'd ever done anything out of line ... and not a single shred of her accusation included rape or any actual violent act other than she 'remembers' being afraid the young man was "going to" do so ... so this isn't an accusation of rape, but that a drunk teen girl "remembers" being afraid of such ... are you saying that every teen male or female involved in something stupid that someone else was afraid of should forever be shunned, condemned, and ridiculed?

Are you really that medieval?

Given that, it is easy to believe that such a teen party existed ... they do all the time. The specific allegation against BK however is not credible ... differing accounts, not from years back but in recent accounts of the accuser ... and again, no other witness that she named in any way manor or kind supports her comments in a any form.

There is no evidence whatever to support the allegation.

So ... your strong point is any allegation from thirty years ago of stupid teen behavior even when contradicted by the other named witnesses must be believed and used to pillory someone with a spotless career and life as an adult?

And people claim I have trouble with truth, reality, and facts?

To D. Fosse ... I've found most European's don't "get" our governmental forms here.

Our Constitution ... something which none of the European countries has a real duplicate of ... set our governmental structure into three parts, with the primary one seen as the Legislative (even that divided into House/Senate), the Executive to carry out the will of the Legislative and be in charge of foreign policy, and a Judicial branch with a top court seen by the founders to be merely a means of discerning the appropriate remedy in disputes between the several States, the citizens vs. the government, and occasionally between the other two branches.

Over time, the Supreme Court has become rather more important, a third part of government.

FDR tried to govern a bit outside the bounds then understood for a President and tried to create more Justices, expecting that if he just named a few more, his view would win & he could simply do as he wished. Not even his own party members supported that enough for him to pull off.

You mention Roe v. Wade. That is an example of a Supreme Court decision that even to many Liberal legal scholars, was bad law. That decision is based on handily finding a here-to-fore unknown guarantee ... the right of privacy, it was called ... and using that new-found guarantee to say that anything between a woman and a medical staffer is beyond the authority of the Government to interfere in.

It's a rather odd decision ... that right of privacy has to my knowledge never been part of any other Supreme Court decision.

You note that this was decided by legislative action in Europe ... and you are correct. I agree, such matters should be decided by elected representatives of the citizens, not by a small group of people in nifty black robes. But in recent years, we've had a number of decisions by appellate courts and the Supreme court that go past the preceding role into clearly legislative matters. All things pushed by the left, when they couldn't win the votes of legislative bodies.

Some of those ideas, such as "gay" marriage, I quite agree with. However, it would have much more legitimacy had it been voted through legislative processes. When you have five people who aren't elected nor "touchable"  by anyone make a decision for the entire society rather than waiting for the legislative process, as slow and often ugly as it is, to decide ... you end up with a large part of the citizenry feeling they aren't seen as citizens anymore, but as subjects.

That is never good.

So ... other than you didn't like his behavior at the Ford section of his hearings ... has the man ever done to merit your public scorn and derision? I haven't seen one single thing anyone has ever raised about his adult life or career that is other than straight-forward and above board.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2018 Oct 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/R+Neil+Haugen  wrote

Disagree ... please, but ... be polite.

Neil

Hmmmm....  We'll come back to that.

These are nicely selected shots ...

Neil

Fully 50% of the results from a simple  BK image search were similar to the portraits of hatefulness that I posted, but even if I'd had to hunt for them, they are still his face, and they tell us a lot about the man.

Here's what the Guardian newspaper said on that issue:

The Observer view on the Brett Kavanaugh Senate hearing | Observer editorial | Opinion | The Guardia...

The contrast presented by Kavanaugh was telling. His angry, entitled, self-pitying pleading did not suggest a temperament suited to the role of supreme court justice. His answers were often evasive, aggressive and downright rude when, for example, he was asked about excessive drinking and drunken blackouts. When he waxed angry, fuming about a conspiracy by the “left” and “revenge on behalf of the Clintons”, he seemed to be deliberately aping Donald Trump and appealing, like a politician, to Trump’s support base.

Supported by their own collection of Mr nasty's facial expressions.

[snip] do you trot these out for say Hilary? Madame Pelosi? Senator Schumer? Because of course, one can very easily find exactly the same for those.

Neil

I am no admirer of Hilary Clinton.  I believe she was too compromised to make a good President.  The examples of good people I used were Barak Obama, John McCain, and Bernie Sanders.  Go search Google images for Barak Obama.  Scroll right on down to 'Show more images', and find a single shot where he does not look like the wonderful statesman he is.  There is certainly nothing remotely close to malevolence BK displays.  And don't tell me that BK was provoked.  He did not come close to the provocation Obama endured throughout his Presidency.  The same applies to John McCain.  Bernie Sander displays passion — he is a passionate man.  Passionate about truth, justice and the fair treatment of all Americans.

Which is a despicable stand.

Neil

There you go with that being 'polite' Neil. 

Which is why at the end of the normal hearings, he was still standing as a solid nominee.

Neil

I think you missed out the 'Despite his misogyny and inability to act like a decent human being when drunk'.  Which was apparently often and to excess. 

So ... your strong point is any allegation from thirty years ago of stupid teen behavior even when contradicted by the other named witnesses must be believed and used to pillory someone with a spotless career and life as an adult?

Neil

People don't change.  I would hope that you never once forced yourself on anyone as a teen, any more than anyone else reading this thread did.  It's not normal behaviour, and it is certainly not acceptable behaviour.  There is compelling evidence that BK did force himself on Christine Blasey Ford, but I will give you that the evidence is not so strong regarding Deborah Ramiriz, but wait...  There's more...

A Julie Swetnick claims BK attended parties at which woman were drugged and gang rapped.

Brett Kavanaugh attended parties where girls were gang raped in the Eighties, claims third accuser

I keep thinking back to Donald Trump's 'Grab them by the pussy' tape.   It does not matter how despicable a person is as a human being, so long as their politics are Right.   Whatever happens regards Brett Kavanaugh, he is only one man, and the strength of the push back is reassuring to the rest of the world.  We hope that Donald Trump  is  a regrettable blip and history will correct itself  sooner rather than later. It will take an amazing person to regain the confidence and credibility that Trump has lost for your country.  Let's hope for the sake of those that come after us, that it won't be too late.

R Neil Haugen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2018 Oct 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well said. Thank you, Trevor.Dennis​.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My ...

People don't change.

So you insist as an absolute rule that people never change. Anyone who ever does something dumb as a teen ... so what do we do, shoot 'em? Exile to Australia? What?

So ... everyone ever sent to prison for a crime, they'll never change ... are you saying lock them up forever? Really?

And I'm the unkind one here?

That is so lacking in Grace or kindness ... or any understanding of human nature that I can see. People are always all over the place. And often need forgiveness, and be allowed the grace to rebuild themselves.

That issue aside ... what is the compelling evidence of Ms. Ford? None of the people she claims witnessed have any memory of this. Period. The tale she told changed several times in the week of the hearing. I hardly find that compelling. She doesn't recall the neighborhood, the house, the month, and no one she claims was involved remembers anything like this ever happening.

I'll reprint some quotes from yesterday's USA Today article headlined "Kavanaugh Confirmed". Note, USA Today is a standard US media news outlet ... staffed by progressives, as well, by any of the many surveys and accounting of journalist's in the US, 90% or more are registered as Democrats, have given to Democratic candidates, or align themselves with progressive causes.

Well into the article ...

But in 2006, Kavanaugh shed his partisan role for a judicial robe, joining the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, a traditional stepping stone to the Supreme Court. By most accounts he has excelled as a judge, becoming widely quoted and acclaimed for the legal acumen displayed in more than 300 opinions.

"Former US Solicitor General Theodore Wilson, a giant in Washington legal circles, described Kavanaugh as "thoughtful, gracious, open-minded, respected by his peers and widely praised by the lawyers who appear before him."

And Akhil Reed Amar, a liberal law professor and constitutional scholar at Yale Law School, cited his "combination of smarts, constitutional knowledge, and openness - and that's the triple crown."

A little later ... from a fellow law clerk Nate Forrester (now working in the Justice Department), of 1993 while Kavanaugh was clerking for Associate Justice Anthony Kennedy at the Supreme court: (Kavanaugh) "did stand out as somebody who was on his way to big things."

And ...

And over his 12 years as a judge, Kavanaugh has developed a loyal following of ex-clerks. Lisa Blatt, a liberal appellate lawyer who has argued more cases before the Supreme Court than any other woman, said Kavanaugh "is remarkably committed to promoting women in the legal profession."

There are many other comments and testimony from this and from other hearings for the earlier judgeship that are out there. Apparently you've not seen those comments. I wonder ... why? Doesn't your media give you full & complete coverage?

As to the smear about his being such a boozer ... I remember my freshman year of college ... in fact, I remember all my years of college. During the height of 'Nam, my freshman year was the last one you could get a draft deferment simply by being in college. There were a ton of guys in the little State college I went to that well ... took basket weaving for the 15th time to stay in school. Spent most of their time working out & chasing girls. With beer around in amazing quantities constantly.

Some of them had pretty decent ethics ... and some well, weren't folks I associated with. (I didn't interest them either so it was decidedly mutual.)

You know, most of them turned out to be great school teachers, administrators, construction contractors, all sorts of careers. Great family men & community leaders.

People don't change.

According to your rather firmly stated belief, that is simply not possible. None of those men should be accorded any respect, should be allowed to lead anything. NO allowance for age. NO forgiveness. Those are your words, not mine.

A young friend graduated from a very well considered private college in the midwest around five years back. Music performance major, near pro-level voice for operatic work. But decided to marry his high-school sweetheart & have a family. Moved back here. Is studying now for an occupational vocal therapy career. Almost one-year-old twin sons ... incredible family man, leader of choirs and other things at a large (and very liberal) church.

At his wedding, we met his frat "brothers" and her sorority "sisters" ... and for several days were regaled with the tales of the parties and drinking 'games' and carrying on ... and watched most of their friends who'd come out for the wedding carry on as in their college days.

Personally, I was stunned. Their routine behavior and activities went so far past anything even contemplated by our crudest drinking group of old athletes.The comments amongst the guys about the gals they knew in college went way past anything Trump was quoted as saying ... and the gals were as bad or worse.

And checking up about their friends recently, how are that lot doing?

Rather well. Most married with kids, either working their way up in great jobs with good firms, or have made their own businesses which are doing well.

They're growing up, of course. Not all do, but most people do.

In Army training for WW11, my father had a buddy ... and the two would go into Marine bars and order beer, just to see how many Marines they could toss out the door before they went flying. Drank a ton. Smashed up a lot of bars. So ... how'd he turn out? He was an awesome Dad, small farmer/businessman, church leader, family man, and hero. Read to my sister and I hours and hours when we were little. Patient and kind ... except if one violated certain rules that were taken very seriously. But always reasonable and just "there".

You wouldn't have to stretch to say that he was a drunken brawler for several years in his twenties. Not at all.

According to the comments in a post above, the man should never have been accorded the respect of a bum.

I can't go "there".

And I can see that the way things are in politics these days. If someone's career is spotless, destroy their personal life. Create a charge, see if it sticks. If not, make a worse one.

To me, that is sadly a highly credible practice in US politics at the moment. The very worst thing actually testified about Kavanaugh during the main hearing to many progressives is that some felt that he might vote to overturn Roe v. Wade if such a direct case came up before the Court. (No such case has actually been before the Court in a long time.) Well, if he did, what would be the result?

The decision would go back to the elected representatives of the Citizens ... where really, it should have been left in the first place. Smelly as democracy is, I do prefer it dearly to autocratic societies. That's the horror hear ... abortion might be back for legislative action, rather than a de facto imposed "law".

I've seen the speeches and articles from those rather out there on supporting absolute abortion "rights" ... anyone who disagrees is a misogynist (male) or duped hater of their own sex (female) ... there is no acceptance that there is even any possibility of discussing this in any other terms. They always use the most polarized, dehumanizing approach to any potential opposition. Ergo, BK must be destroyed. If it keeps him from being confirmed, great. If it can be used to de-legitimize his presence let alone anything he votes or writes on if confirmed, even better.

If you don't at least understand this is part of this confirmation process, well ... it's beyond me.

I'm autistic. A data freak. Analysis is my brain's thing. I can look at and understand the positions of those I do not agree with, completely separate from the emotional side of things. I understand the terror that those of the outside fringe of abortion rights feel, and understand why they feel morally sound in attacking someone whether or not the charges are "true" for that one person being attacked: to them, it's the Big Picture that counts, not individual humans.

Are they sincere? Yes. Do they feel they have a moral authority to do anything to achieve their goals? Yes. Are they intelligent? Yes. Do they have good friends & family? Probably yes.

Do I agree with them? No, on the basic issue: I believe abortion should handled by laws made by a decision of elected officials. The tactics used at times scare me.

I find more credible the people from all sides of the belief spectrum who've worked closely with Judge Kavanaugh. And reported on him in the highest praise.

And ... for anyone who decries the quote attributed from Trump above (which bluntly, I've heard far worse my whole life in high-school & sports/gym locker-rooms) ... if you haven't denounced President Clinton, well ... don't bother your breath. Numerous cases with vastly more corroboration than Ms. Ford's charges.

Now, understand ... I was never a Trump supporter. That said, I do agree with the above comment that "Hilary was compromised" as a mild statement.

We have a huge government. President Obama couldn't destroy it in eight years from "one side",Trump can't destroy it himself either.

So ... cool the hyperbole a bit, is my gentle suggestion.

As to the comment about so many pictures popping up of Kavanaugh X versus Obama ... you are aware that the main press members are people who are quite progressive? This is a group who went into Journalism with a capital J to do something ... to make a difference. The people who found Woodward & Bernstein as their heroes ... who wanted themselves to take down a President some day.

There aren't very many who simply report any more. It's not a conspiracy of press coverage, it's just what happens when the vast majority of people of any group are very much like unto each other in thinking and outlook. To deny the existence of this basic human pattern of behavior is rather ... bizarre, to my mind.

Hence, if you watched videos of Hilary on her stump speech presentations during the campaign, she spent a fair amount of time pointing with her finger whilst vocally blasting her opponent. In some speeches, quite a long time. I don't recall a single image like that used of her during the campaign in newspaper or major television coverage.

Trump could spend most of his speech joking & laughing with the crowd. Make two or three serious points with a finger, and the image and article would be of an angry Trump on parade again.

Neither side was presented as a full panoply of their persona and presence on the stump.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil,

Did you get many party invitations in high school?  I did.  Do you remember any of the street addresses where those parties took place?  I sure don't.   And I didn't drink.  Do you remember how you got to parties, who all attended and how you got home?  I don''t .  Most people are not wired to remember details like that.  Unless something really extraordinary occurred, the parties we all attended in high school and college are mostly forgettable.  That doesn't make Dr. Ford's testimony any less credible.   I firmly believe something traumatic happened to her.  And  I don't think BK was being completely honest with himself or the committee.   In any case, the confirmation hearings are over.  So let's just move on.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something traumatic may have happened to Dr. Ford. None of us has any way of knowing. What we think or suspect ... isn't really proof of anything, is it?

My objection isn't to suspecting or questioning someone's veracity.

It's the public trashing of an entire distinguished lifetime because you think ... never having even been around either party ever ... that something might have happened.

Understand, I'm autistic. "Normal" people have a section of the brain that processes visual and aural clues to the nth degree during conversations they are a part of or watch. No, we're not talking "body language" here ... we're talking minute changes around the corners of eyes, mouth, nose, minute tension added or relaxed on the voice ... truly minuscule details.

You know the comment that 40-60% of communication is non-verbal? This really is where that comes from. It's learned from the time one is a baby in the cradle, and is used heavily by the somewhere around 45-60% of people that have "normal" brain wiring. This is that gives the subtle clues for whether those around you are telling the truth, shading something, slightly tense ... all sorts of things.

But not only do "normals" automatically note those things while listening, they 'perform' those details as part and parcel of speaking.

In my long years of experience, those impressions that are not conscious to the person having them can completely turn around the meaning from what the words were to something nearly opposite.

I am continually told that I said X. When I point out that what I actually said was D, I get flabbergasted to angry looks. Well, after we've had an intense discussion and the admission is finally made that ok, my words were D, everyone knows that I meant X.

Well ... I didn't, and I don't have a clue why that is "a certainty".

It's something we autistics deal with daily. Because not only do we not receive that information from others, as we aren't capable of process that data in any way, we don't "send" it either.

We seem ... odd ... something ... not quite right.

It is rare for a statement from an autistic person to be accepted simply for what it says literally. It is more common to have the knowledge, accuracy, and intelligence of the autistic person ... dismissed or diminished ... in the minds of those around us.

Not only that, as I've analyzed conversations for the last 60 years, I've realized that the way one person has learned to receive and create those signals is not the same as another person. I've been in many three-way conversations where I know the other two are certain they understand each other and I'm off in left field.

Except from their comments ... they both are assuming they know the exact meaning of the other person's "unsaid" content.

And often, they get part and mis-lay part. I've learned to take this with a good bit of humor.

That reliance on the unsaid ... on the impressions ... is not nearly as accurate as most people assume.

For instance, I've been able  to prove quite thoroughly that if I at least heavily shade something if not plain out tell a whopper, I'll have a better chance of being believed by most normals than if I'm telling the straight facts. When I'm just being factual, quite a few people just ... can't ... quite ... accept my comments.

I can throw in a whopper and pass it without a raised eyebrow.

Assumptions from incomplete data are treacherous.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2018 Oct 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DpVF0JAUcAEkESt.jpg large.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines