Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something we all can relate to.

Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CzPJt_dUoAE3Ms0.jpg

We can make this a thread to post relevant cartoons, photo edits, memes and other assorted witticisms.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 732 Replies 732
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2019 Jul 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're far enough away from the epicenter that we don't need to sleep in the park or anything like that.  .  But we're still feeling  plenty of aftershocks here.   We put 3 cases of drinking water in the garage to have on hand in case of you know what.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sympathies to all of the ACP's who reside/work in SoCal.

That sort of land-movement has to scare the bejeebers out of you for the potential of "the next one could be ... "

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drinking water?  NO NO! Cases but not of water. Make it the good stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can hear the singing from here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Closeup of the area: 4500 quakes.

Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 12.05.18 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

b0fd8e0d6d5c16e1d1ab62fb4ecce65d.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone who has seen any of the "Alien" movies (I may serve this next Halloween):

Food.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sign87.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG Those last two are hilarious peru OldBob​ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our 21-year-old son didn't get that pic at all ... Ha!

Miriam noted that our older son, 32, had been worried about whether Mom (her) could drive his stick-shift.

Um ... she LEARNED on a stick-shift, as did I. (For me, around age 11/12). And her first car was the '67 bug, said bug is now his for "restoration", as he drove it in high-school.

Oh ... ooops ... said he.

Yea, that's a very tough auto-theft device these days!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also learned to drive in a 67 Beetle!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I learned on a stick at age 15. My dad taught me. That poor man lurched around that grocery store parking lot all afternoon with me at the wheel haha. He said if you can't drive a standard transmission, you don't know how to drive a car. He wanted me to be prepared should I be on a date or a passenger in someone's car in any situation, should they be disabled in some way etc, and be able to drive any vehicle should the need arise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ponytail1414  wrote

He wanted me to be prepared should I be on a date

i feel like there is more to that story... how does knowing to drive a stick help on a date?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He meant in case I was on a date and we were out in the country somewhere and maybe my date became ill or suddenly disabled in some way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worrying about your daughter in unlikely scenarios is something I understand... A dad thing 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Boy Howdy that was my dad. Every time my sisters or I walked out the front door, he'd say things like "Be careful! Any boy you see out there could be a serial killer and if you so much as smile at him he could throw you into the trunk of his car and nobody will know where you are for days and then the police will find your dead body in a ditch!"  Thanks Dad. You have a nice evening too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First car I drove was a 56 Ford Victoria 2-door with 3-speed column shift, driving out between trees on our apple orchard, about 11 years old. I'd driven tractors which were all manual shift before that, of course. My first memory is age 3, steering the tractor through our orchard of large cherry trees while sitting on my Dad's lap. Mom and Dad figured I probably remember it because of Mom seeing that from the kitchen window, and rushing out to "correct" the situation. But I don't remember her, just the image of steering to successfully avoid a tree. Whee!

Second "car" I drove was our '63 International pickup, a 4-speed, but 1st was a "granny" gear only used for starting with heavy load. On the floor, of course. And again, at 11/12 out between trees. First  time with a car on the road was that pickup, age 12, following Dad who was driving a borrowed tractor from a nearby farm.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I remember those! We called it "three on the tree" as opposed to "four on the floor"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cars and trucks built after the 1990s use chipped keys, and that has "driven down" car thefts more than anything. 

Millennials have better things to do like storming Area 51

News about "Area 51" on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hahaha gener7​ That made me laugh out loud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2019 Jul 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gener7  wrote

Closeup of the area: 4500 quakes.

Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 12.05.18 AM.png

Gene, it looks like you had some pretty decent earthquakes over there, and did hear right that they had a rumble in Seattle?  Heck, thata must be a 1000 miles!  I can at least resonate with how the people who felt your quakes must have felt as I have experienced a few here in New Zealand.  The Kaikoura quake lasted two full minutes, and _really_ got things moving.   I was sat in front of my computer when it started, and just carried on as we are kind of used to them, but it got worse with time, and I was forced to abandon the computer in the interest of domestic harmony, as my wife started screaming at about the one minute mark.  This was a 7.8

Image result for kaikoura earthquake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I first saw this on Bored Panda, and several of them made me laugh out loud.

This was my favourite

There are lots more, and they are only wee video soundbites so won't take you a moment to look though

OwlKitty - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor,

Here are the details of the Seattle area quake: M 4.8

Friday earthquakes on a crustal fault show it’s not only the ‘Big One’ we should fear | The Seattle ...

Ridgecrest was 7.1 and felt at about 150 miles away. By that, lamps swinging or the pool sloshing water. Ridgecrest is in the Mojave Desert and home to the US Navy's China Lake weapons testing center where Ridgecrest is located. Aftershocks below 4 are still going on and likely no fun in 40+ C temps for that desert.

Now I'll try and stay out of TL;DR territory, but our faults are "strike-slip", where the areas on either side of the fault slide by each other.

That means California will never drop into the sea, but people believe it and it makes for a good fiction.

On your side of the Pacific, the faults are the "subduction" type where one plate dives under another. The most severe quakes do happen there and that includes tidal waves. However while the 7.8 was bad, I think good building codes are in force and you and your wife know exactly how to take cover. I think 2 died in that 7.8 one, a point below the 1906 San Francisco earthquake and fire which had 300-5000 casualties.

Anyway, things are less troubling once you understand how they work and how to best prepare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Up here in the Northwest we're mostly subduction, but with a few complicated places that seem to have both slip on some lines and subduction on another.

And at time quakes under a mountain here aren't major movement of zones, but movements in magma chambers. Which of course might presage an event other than another quake.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, I've always been fascinated with PNW seismology since Mt. Saint Helens erupted in 1980. PNSN | Pacific Northwest Seismic Network and Cascades Volcano Observatory are favorite bookmarks. "Full Rip 9.0" is on my Kindle. You may have read it. A megaquake along the Cascadia subduction zone in 1700 was so powerful it set off tidal waves on the coast of Japan.

I think that zone extends down as far south as Petrolia on the Northern California coast and Mount Shasta marks the south end of the Cascades. Every so often large offshore quakes strike off the coast. So Washington and Oregon have some beautiful, but potentially dangerous volcanoes.

So that's the difference. Here earthquake swarms are mostly just that. Up your way that means you hope the volcanoes in your area are not getting serious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines