• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Student in need of help: Use of photo images in animated videos, websites, etc...

New Here ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone!

I'm writing a research paper and I drew the short straw in topic about photo touching for my animation class.  Luckily, I'm a photographer and graphic designer so I'm good as far as Photoshop is concerned... my question has more to do with the uses of photos in animation.  I'm trying to brainstorm and all I've come up with thus far is static backgrounds for animated videos or even websites and textures. Maybe I'm not seeing the full potential of photos combined with animation.

For those of you who work in the industry or have ideas, I would love some suggestions.

Thank you!!

Shelly

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cinemagraphs & Ken Burns Effects immediately come to mind.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stop motion and time-lapse photography might be included. There are techniques, such as using slow shutter speeds to create a blur that makes the time-lapse clips blend better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

websites with animation tends to = adds... the rules for adds are very different than the rules (methods) for small website animations and that will then decide what design works for those rules

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photos can be used to create animated effects, too. Take for instance how the sequence of images were shot to create Bullet Time for The Matrix The Making of "The Matrix" - What Is Bullet Time? - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another possible use is to add parts of video to a still image. Here is a poster I created with a bit of a twist for fun. Watch the rabbit ....

Behance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess it's time for my ritual plugging of Fractal Generators!

I often use fractal generators to play with photos. They can create some fun tilings and odd mappings that can be animated.

Here's one of my favorite Fractaled Photos ever ;

It's the woman I love, so I may be biased  >:)

But it did animate quite well if I do say so myself:

http://vid106.photobucket.com/albums/m278/sockratease/slices2.mp4

And another that worked out nicely (beware the horrible music - keep the mute button ready!) (I make it myself and it's not particularly  ...  Musical?):

http://vid106.photobucket.com/albums/m278/sockratease/shoefly3music.mp4

Two more examples. just because this sort of thing is so rarely seen and has a lot of potential!

Old and low quality, but I liked them:

http://vid106.photobucket.com/albums/m278/sockratease/brollybrot2.mp4

http://vid106.photobucket.com/albums/m278/sockratease/redd.mp4

I'll stop with an example that shows how badly it can distort things beyond recognition, but still be interesting:

http://vid106.photobucket.com/albums/m278/sockratease/squaresmile.mp4

So photos can be animated in unexpected ways and if you keep looking you can find many other ways to confuse your wife by animating her pictures!

There are programs that morph one image into another, or make images speak with some other minor animations tossed in. And I'm sure the possibilities are infinite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh and don't forget using photos as texture maps for 3D objects. Photos of building facades or interior walls have been used in video game environments. Photos of people can be mapped to 3D faces for virtual actors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines