• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Washington Post Alternative?

Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Donald Trump's bizarre behaviour has got me hooked on American News, and I have been reading the online Washington Post trying to keep up with it all.  Unfortunately, it seems that the Post has a Pay Meter and I now get this message:

To keep reading it would cost me the same as Photoshop and Lightroom, so I'm thinking there must be alternative online newspapers with the same honest, and independent editing as the Post.  Can you people that live me give me a heads up?    If anyone suggests Fox News, they had better add the winking emoticon

The Post has a great layout of stories as well as great content, with a hard copy newspaper look to it.  That works well for me, and I'd love to find similar.  Apparently you can get the Post online free for six months if you are an Amazon Prime customer, but I'd prefer to avoid Amazon Prime.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm from the DC area, and grew up reading the Wash Post every day, but gave up on them about 8 months ago due to the prevalence of clickbait headlines in my FB feed. I subscribe to the NYTimes these days.

On a related note, have the aftershocks subsided yet? Like many, I do hope he succeeds, because what is the alternative? And while lots of people exhibit bizarre behavior—perhaps due to various personality issues and reactions to early life experiences—it's the growing acceptance of this behavior by so many people that has me dreaming of living in a land far, far away. (That, and seeing whales cruising by.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't read one specific source, but I do browse the headlines and read anything interesting at these two aggregate sites

Google News  and Fox News - Breaking News Updates | Latest News Headlines | Photos & News Videos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just follow Google News. I have every channel Spectre (formerly Time Warner) has to offer so I over digest news all damn day to the point that I start having nightmares. Along with Pres. Trump's odd mindset, what Tee's me off is that the first thing he does when sworn in was to start signing all manner of Executive Orders. This is not a Kingdom, it's suppose to be a Democracy where important items are debated and then voted on in the senate but I guess not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obama angered quite a few people with his executive orders too. That's not what bothers me about the new guy (even if I don't like some of his executive orders). What bothers me in what he's done so far is how he keeps trying to push obvious lies (called "alternate facts" by his press secretary) about things that don't matter (the numbers at his inauguration), but are easily proveable. Either he's mentally deranged or he is trying to make it seem like there is no truth or facts in the media and we should only ever listen to him. BOTH of which are dangerous.

Anyway, we should leave politics out of the forums as much as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Szalam wrote:

What bothers me in what he's done so far is how he keeps trying to push obvious lies (called "alternate facts" by his press secretary)

People have been debating what 'truth' is for thousands of years.

The truth is that I am one of the most brilliant people on the entire planet. Reality however tells me otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Szalam wrote:

"Anyway, we should leave politics out of the forums as much as possible."

As much as I hate to agree with you...I agree with you. Enough said.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cactus Cowboy wrote:

Szalam wrote:

"Anyway, we should leave politics out of the forums as much as possible."

Yes, I didn't want to start what could be a fiery debate.  It would be ironic if forum mods had to lock the treads they themselves were involved with

The problem with Google News is that it links back top the original stories, and some of the more interesting headlines take me to the Washington Post and the Pay Wall block.   I've taken to sitting in front of an acre of screens while reading the story on my little iPhone 5s, because at least the WP app still works (so far.

I like the layout of the New York Times, but the content not quite as much, and it is another subscription site.  The fact is, each new day's developments from the White House are making me more depressed — but I won't get into the details, because that would continue the debate we are trying to avoid.

But I will share this one story that seems to sum the situation up.  If the link does not work Google that headline on the Washington Post.

Fury and power struggle mark trump's first days in office

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We subscribe to The Los Angles Times (delivered daily to our door) which gives us access to the online version.  8 weeks for 99 cents is a great deal.

Los Angeles Times - California, national and world news - Los Angeles Times

Also we get The New York Times on Basic Plan via an iPad App.

The New York Times: Give an All Access Subscription

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After trawling through a good few news outlets, I keep wanting to go back to the Washington Post, although the New York Times is a close second.  So for the time being I have pinched my iPad back from my wife, and am viewing the Post app on that.  I'm hoping it doesn't suddenly shut me out and ask for a subscription, but if it does, I am close to just paying it.  For the past several days I have spent nearly all my free time reading article after article, and while I am not taking them all as proved fact, there sheer weight and numbers seems undeniable.   America.  What have you done?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

America. What have you done?!

The following is not a politically opinionated post. I am just trying to describe what happened.

America voted a new kind of person into the White House. The reasons for doing so are as varied as the people of our nation.

• Some people felt that his main opponent (Hillary Clinton) was too corrupt and that they had to vote for him just to keep her out.
  • Some people felt that their part of the country has been forgotten or ignored by their government and that their economy was in shambles and this new candidate could bring the "greatness" back to their region.
  • Some people felt that he would advance their white supremacist agenda.
  • Some people felt that he would make them safer.
  • Some people have just been fed up with perceived inaction of the government and just wanted to swing a big, orange wrecking ball right through Washington DC.

These are all valid concerns and feelings. The decision to vote for a particular candidate to address those concerns is up for debate. In fact, it was debated and America chose what we chose. Time will tell if this was a good choice or not regardless of our personal feelings about the matter.

That being said, I am seriously considering moving abroad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Szalam wrote:

Don't move to the U/k, we are going through exactly the same questions about politicians, and politics in general.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina wrote:

Szalam wrote:

Don't move to the U/k, we are going through exactly the same questions about politicians, and politics in general.

I know! I lived in England for a few years and would have considered moving back, but they Brexited before we Trumped so I'm looking elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That being said, I am seriously considering moving abroad

Right? Which brings me back to my first question. Have the aftershocks ceased in New Zealand, Trevor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Szalam wrote:

"That being said, I am seriously considering moving abroad"

I agree with you. I think you should move. This country's no place for you. Oh yea, and take that Madonna bitch with you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cactus Cowboy wrote:

Szalam wrote:

"That being said, I am seriously considering moving abroad"

I agree with you. I think you should move. This country's no place for you. Oh yea, and take that Madonna ***** with you.

No thanks! I'd happily leave her behind too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Szalam wrote:

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

America. What have you done?!

The following is not a politically opinionated post. I am just trying to describe what happened.

You summarized that very nicely Szalam.  But you forgot to mention 2 other important things.

• Trump did one thing successfully which both Democrats and Republicans failed to do.   He captured votes from the silent white, males (rednecks) who have never voted before.

• Electoral College.  The presidency is the only office where you can get more votes & still lose.

If CalExit passes you won't have to move far.

Yes California Independence Campaign

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will admit to be a bit facetious with discussion of leaving. America is still my favorite country.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can still be your favorite country...somewhere else. And you can still change your mind (as you seem to be in a mind changing mood) and take that Madonna ***** with you. I feel you were being genuine the first time. Difficult to walk something like that back without paying a price. Ridicule being one.

If you've never actually fought for freedom then you'll never fully understand the price paid to have and keep it. It makes no difference who occupies the WH to me. This is my country and always will be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cactus Cowboy wrote:

If you've never actually fought for freedom then you'll never fully understand the price paid to have and keep it. It makes no difference who occupies the WH to me. This is my country and always will be.

I actually work for the US military as my full-time job, so I am well aware of the price that is paid.

I have a myriad of reasons for the way I feel about the direction our current leader is taking our country which sparked my somewhat joking comment about looking elsewhere for residency, but (as I mentioned previously), it's best to keep politics off of these forums, so I don't feel like going into it. It's a lot more complicated than a quick forum post would allow anyway.

Anyway, as to the original forum post, I do quite enjoy NPR as Jane also mentioned. Unlike most of her list, NPR is pretty unbiased in their reporting. They point out when people on both sides of the aisle make claims that are unsubstantiated and they have some rather in-depth reporting as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2017 Jan 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Szalam wrote:

it's best to keep politics off of these forums

Why can't we discuss politics? We should be discussing politics, all of us, all the time, everywhere in all available fora!

As long as everyone maintains a certain standard for IQ, and refrains from making stupid statements, discussing politics is no different from discussing anything else - except it's more important.

Here are some random examples of incredibly stupid statements that should be avoided:

• journalists are liars and the enemy
  • waterboarding and torture works
  • orginazations helping women with family planning, worldwide, should have their funding cut
  • state subsidized health insurance for poor people is bad
  • i won the popular vote

...and so on and so on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D Fosse wrote:

Szalam wrote:

it's best to keep politics off of these forums

Why can't we discuss politics?

Because politics can get too personal too quickly. Note how I was told I should leave the country (coupled with rude words for a female artist) despite me trying to be good-humored and non-confrontational. I mean, I don't even understand how that artist ended up as part of the conversation. She did say some bad things recently, but why I should be lumped in with her is unclear.

D Fosse wrote:

• orginazations helping women with family planning, worldwide, should have their funding cut
  • state subsidized health insurance for poor people is bad

I understand people not wanting to fund abortions. They don't see it as "telling women what they can and can't do with their bodies"; they see it as preventing the murder of (unborn) humans.  This is an area that could use some healthy discussion. For example, if the federal government is going to help fund Planned Parenthood, they might consider stipulating that federal money doesn't go towards abortions. That would be a better options than cutting funding entirely and it wouldn't be a bad thing since abortions are such a small part of what Planned Parenthood does. Again, this is the kind of thing that should be allowed to be discussed when having political discourse.

I also have heard some decent arguments for why the federal government should not be involved in health insurance. This one should be allowed to have discussion around it too and not just shut down. I mean, there is no provision for the US government to be involved in health care in the constitution. It could be argued that involvement here is overstepping the bounds of authority that they have been given. HOWEVER, something must be done because our health care situation is a nightmare. We pay shockingly more per capita for health care than any other country in the world and yet our health care isn't among the best. Plus, despite how much we spend, so few Americans have health insurance. One serious illness and they're in debt for life or don't get help and are dead. It's a ridiculous choice. Should the federal government be directly involved? Should they just pressure states to put together their own programs? Or should they butt out entirely? One could make a decent argument for any of those.

But the rest of your list, yes - and much more you could have added to it! "Climate change is a hoax perpetrated by the Chinese to make American businesses unable to compete", is one shining example off the top of my head.

In general, I consider myself somewhat conservative - at least fiscally - and I used to consider myself a Republican (although, I was a bit uncomfortable with some of their stances - such as marriage equality - consenting adults should be allowed to marry each other). So, one might think I would support a Republican president - especially one that waved a rainbow flag around one time and claimed to be a friend of gay people - but the amount of just outright ridiculous things being said by our new guy is unprecedented. I mean, it's hard to really grasp the craziness of it because there is just too much. You don't have time to get a handle on one thing before a new one comes along. It's like a DDOS attack on our sanity. I could forgive his inexperience if he had good people around him. And, while he's got a few decent cabinet picks, some are just awful and there are too many other advisors and people around him that I just don't trust. I mean, Steve "I want to tear the entire US government down" Bannon, Mike "Let's give gay people electroshock treatment to turn them straight" Pence, Rick "Let's get rid of the Department of Energy" Perry, Kellyanne "They're not 'lies', they're 'alternative facts'" Conway, and the list goes on...

Also, for acting so concerned about cyber threats to national security ("we should lock her up over her emails") during his candidacy, now that he's president, he doesn't seem to care at all! He continues to constantly use an out-of-date Android phone that is vulnerable to a wide number of exploits and attacks. Android is, in many ways, the least secure mobile OS as it is, but an OLD one is even worse. I would be surprised if his phone hasn't already been compromised.

I will say, though, that he has provided some truly hilarious moments. One of my favorites was during his "victory tour" when the crowd started chanting "lock her up" and he said, "Aw, c'mon! Now that we won, we don't care about any of that stuff. She's a nice lady" (Or something like that.) And the crowd was all, like, "Wait, what!?!?" He went on to say, "I wasn't being serious about any of that stuff I said during the campaign - as I'm sure you know because we were all in on this joke together: it was just to get me elected." And the crowd looked even more befuddled. Like, they wanted to cheer (because that was why they had come to this rally in the first place) and he was saying "Haha we won we are all so smart", but they couldn't cheer because he wasn't saying stuff that made sense to them because they were NOT in on that joke and they all totally thought he was serious about "Crooked Hillary".

Okay, maybe not hilarious, more like funny and sad.

Anyway, I say all of that to explain that, while I used to be more of a fiscally conservative Republican-leaning guy, this current election pushed me over the edge to being definitely an independent. So, yay, freedom?

Anyway, that wall of text is another reason why we should try to keep politics out of these forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note how I was told I should leave the country (coupled with rude words for a female artist) despite me trying to be good-humored and non-confrontational.

What??

I (foolishly, evidently) assumed that a.) you must be friends and b.) that he was kidding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know that person and, while it can be difficult to infer tone in a text-based medium, they did use some rather unsavory words about Madonna (which have since been edited), so I assume they are not joking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines