• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What are some good ways to raytrace skinned meshes?

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all, so I'm using an octree to raytrace meshes at the moment and it's working out nicely, but now I'm wondering how to apply it to skinned meshes.

Does it make sense to store the octree structure for every frame on disk, or possibly just compressed deltas? I'm thinking that could add up.

I'm hoping I don't have to generate it in realtime, it may be possible but that would take up some valuable compute time per frame.

Are there any techniques people here use or have heard about that could work?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that this community is the place to get answers to your 3D questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Photoshop or Dimension?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to Dimension​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

this has nothing to do with Dimension so I moved it to the lounge

octree raytrace is used in games like Asteroids where you trace lots of objects all smashing into each other... they are not popular now days because having more than say 20 objects moving around will be as good as modern systems can do

its very much a cpu system so Macs users may want to play it but to answer your main question sprites are what gets used because they are small (pre-rendored) assets

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines