• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When recording video how often do you change to a new memory card (SD, e.g.)

Advisor ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Do you use a new memory card for each new video? Can be expensive, and even new ones fail if they aren't tested first. Had it happen.

2. Or, do you use a new card after 2 or how many uses?

Just would like to know what people's consensus is.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a Premiere Pro question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

probably, John.. the subspace of hardware is sorta lame these days.

I disagree with posters summation. I use SD cards, external SSD drives, etc. to capture stuff in camera or through atomos, etc... and there are some cameras that tell you what is 'free' on the SD card … and some SSD's that have no way of knowing what is free...

But I've never had one fail if it worked to begin with...

My workflow is to take the day's shots into the computer from sources, and when replacing source hardware ( SD card or SSD) I use the camera or recorder function to REFORMAT the card... so everything starts from a brand new space on that media.

You probably had to take out SD card from your camera for your cruise video and xfer to laptop to free up the SD card... so what did you do ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that said, I personally have a LOT of SD cards for camera, sound recorder, and a couple external SSD drives... so there's no way, the way I shoot with only 10 min takes at a time, the stuff is ever gonna run out of space to keep shooting for a couple days... even without xfer to computer.

I find that the SD card specs for BMPCC raw is dependent on specific specs of the SD card.. like, extreme pro 64gig with really fast xfer rate works for raw, but you can SEE that as you record ( the red record light blinks if it is dropping frames ).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never... I have a 256G card in my "big" camera and a 64G card in my "pocket" camera

When I finish recording I copy the files to my "input" drive (4 drives in my computer) and I also MOVE the files to one of several external drives

I use "bare" drives that I put in a dock http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-SuperSpeed-Docking-Station-Cooling/dp/B0055PL2YI as needed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 03, 2019 Aug 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dont know about the smaller DSLR shoots but on big shoots we carry 3-6 cards

When one is almost fully we eject, load in a new one, throw the used card at the DIT to copy on 2 redundant drives and verify and then format that card for use again

Angelbird.jpg

ARRI Edition 256 GB CFast™ 2.0 Memory Card by Angelbird

The result is a rock-solid 256 GB CFast 2.0 card, with super-stable recording performance all the way across the storage space, making it the perfect addition to an ALEXA Mini or AMIRA camera setup.

Mo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2019 Aug 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

some cameras (like the sx70) will burn up your space very quick... for trips away I carry a few extras to swap in when needed

for most (just grab a camera in case you see a whale) day trips I carry a spare battery & card in my camera bag and the sx60 takes small vids so I've never needed more than a laptop at home to pull off want I want to keep later

cvid01  wrote

1. Do you use a new memory card for each new video? Can be expensive, and even new ones fail if they aren't tested first. Had it happen.

never had a card fail... I test them first i.e, in the shop before I buy them and format them every month

batteries do fail i.e, fail to hold a charge and that tends to boil down to you get what you paided for so avoid the cheap nock offs and try to drain them before charging every 5 mins

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines