• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't my computer just talk to me!

Engaged ,
Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read this, read that, text here, text there, text everywhere! Why can't my computer just talk to me? I tickle it's keys, I dust it off, I hug it before I go to bed, I replace it's innards when it's not feeling well, the least it could do is TALK TO ME!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you go Free Text to Speech Online with Natural Voices

Disclaimer... found via Google, so NO personal experience

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Cactus+Cowboy  wrote

Read this, read that, text here, text there, text everywhere! Why can't my computer just talk to me? I tickle it's keys, I dust it off, I hug it before I go to bed, I replace it's innards when it's not feeling well, the least it could do is TALK TO ME!

CC, I'll need a degree in psychiatry, an office with a couch, a few notebooks, and $150 an hour before I say anything.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I expect it can.  I remember being impressed with my brothers Google Pixel phone that he constantly spoke to and got spoken answers.  Then I discovered that any old smart phone can do that.  In fact my old iPhone 5S does an amazing job of recognizing my vaguely east London accent getting my spoken questions word perfect almost every time.

It seems likely that computers can do the same thing via webcams etc.  I don't have a microphone icon on Google, but that is probably because the webcam is not connected.  If you do have a mic and see its icon on a Google search page, then try clicking and talking to it.

Just checked Chrome, which does have the mic icon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kind of get Cactus Cowboy's drift, but it's hard enough to find Computer Repair let alone Computer Counseling.

It would probably be a boffo idea for a startup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Cactus+Cowboy  wrote

I hug it before I go to bed

they have a doll for that now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Computer... Computer... Hello Computer... Keyboard, how quaint."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where will it end though?

"Hey computer.  Will you Photoshop these pictures while I go grab a coffee?"

"I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that"

Hal.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 20, 2018 Jan 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Computer... Computer... Hello Computer... Keyboard, how quaint."

Star Trek, The Journey Home. I thought that very line Chuck...excellent!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2018 Jan 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose it would be unrealistic to have expected his fingers to blur at astonishing speed seeing as he a) apparently never had the need to practice with a keyboard, and b) is 'of an age', even if they had miracle cures for the ails that come with age in 2286.  I guess they could have rationalized the fact that they still looked so old, by claiming them to be well in to their second centuries.

I couldn't help myself, and had to look for a date for the original series. Various Trekkie nerd sites made Kirk 35 years old in 2265, so if anything, they have aged faster in that future than in the real world in our time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If computers could talk the only thing they would want to talk about is numbers. Have you ever seen how computers think? It's really annoying, and they're total nerds. What kind of dork insists so irrationally that you translate everything from binary to normal talk just to speak with them? Not to mention the fact you have to translate it back just to get a word in edgewise.

Frankly I'm glad computers can't talk. If computers could talk then what's next? The mice? That's actual mice by the way, not lame computer mice which, by the way, cannot even complete a maze. Disgraceful.

- Ricky Thomas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines