Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

juanfordroad_0-1640617617749.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@juanfordroad 

If you have a question about Adobe Photoshop, please ask it.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will not be macOS it will keep on changing

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no such thing as "forever software."  And CS3 from 2007 has been dead for years!  So I don't get your point.  Sorry.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy.

Sorry you didn't get my point so let me try again.

I purchased that software back then.  It worked beautifully.  Then it didn't.  Why do you suppose that was?  Maybe because the software developer(s) wrote some code basicly saying: "OK, you bought this but we're not going to let you use it forever even though it could if we didn't add this bit of code.  Get over it."

I own a box camera that is over 80 years old that still takes beautifull pictures.

I also own a Mac Pro circa 2007 running Snow Leopard 10.6.8.  It too works beautifully but won't run CS3.  It does run AE CS4, Final Cut Studio and many other "older software".

Don't know about you but I'm past 70.  Imagine how I'd feel if the doctor told me I'm too old for a new heart. "Get over it".

Hope you get my point.  All the best.

Remember to put your mask on before leaving home.  :}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sound like you miss the life raft Adobe  through you.  You did not  grab hold of it to download a newer CS3 Installer that does not require activation for CS3 version it install with your new CS3 serial number you received with the download when you  provided your old CS3 serial number.  Adobe no longer provides any support for Old 32bit applications.  New Mac computers do not support 32bit Application.  New Apple Processors can not run X86 code. And not all X86 code can be translated into code for Apple ARM processor and macOS.  Thing do stand still and you are responsible for maintaining you machines and software.  You missed  Adobe life raft. I'm past 80  I did not miss Adobe Life Raft so I can install CS3 on Windows PC.  If you have old Mac hardware and software that can run 32bit CS3.  If you had grabbed Adobe's life raft you could install CS3 on that old machine.  However, You original CS3 installer requires CS3 Activation that services no longer exists.  You did not keep your CS3 Up to date.  You miss Adobe's CS3 life raft. Can you use your box camera on your old Mac or new Mac. 

image.png

image.png

image.png

CS2 can no longer be activated it too had a Life Raft

image.png

I have the CS2 and CS3 new installers and serial numbers.  Now  I'm past 80 and can no longer download these newer versions  so I keep them well backuped. On rare occasions I will use CS3.  Cs2 does not run all that well on Windows 10 so I do not use it.  Photoshop 2020 IMO is the best version of Photoshop that I have installed.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JJ Mack.

Unfortunately, my life raft turned into the titanic.  I did get the new serial numbers back in 2018 and was able to download CS3 and life was good.  Even had it backed up.  Then the Mac Mini crashed.  The saved backup wouldn't reinstall on it.  Fortunately I was still able to use CS3 on the Mac Pro, until it too crashed.  Couldn't reinstall from the backup since Yosemite and Snow Leopard don't get along very well.  At least they didn't get along on my computers.

Now I use AE and Final Cut for making my family videos.  Both have more tools than I'll ever need but I still miss CS3.  Besides, I pay enough monthly bills.  When the big tech hotshots got too greedy, myself and lots of others didn't care for it.

And yes, JJ, I can use the camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then the Mac Mini crashed.  The saved backup wouldn't reinstall on it.  Fortunately I was still able to use CS3 on the Mac Pro, until it too crashed.  Couldn't reinstall from the backup since Yosemite and Snow Leopard don't get along very well.

By @juanfordroad

It looks like the problem is not Photoshop, but the failing hardware. Adobe did not built-in a software bomb. Adobe did switch off the old activation servers, probably because their support dried up too.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When was the last time you purchased film for your Box Camera. Does the Last Place you had film developed and prints made  still offer that service.  It is not Adobe fault that your backup can does not installed on your current Apple machines you have get an older mac version that the backup will install on.  Apple stopped supporting your 32 bit software. You need to meet the requirement for your CS3 version.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JJ & Abambo.

So why won't it install on the Mac Pro with Snow Leopard 10.6.8?  It won't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@juanfordroad wrote:

If you are asking about CS3, the activation servers have been shut down. You can still run it if it is already installed, but you can't install it.

The activation servers for CS4 are still running.

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/activation-deactivation-help.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/troubleshoot-activation-problems-creative-suite.html

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The activation servers for CS4 are still running.

===========

AFAIK, CS4 activation servers are kaput.  Offline activation might still be possible, I don't know.

Offline Activation, generate a response code.

https://exception.licenses.adobe.com/aoes/aoes/v1/t1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK, CS4 activation servers are kaput.  Offline activation might still be possible, I don't know.

By @Nancy OShea

Hi @Nancy OShea .

There's a kink in the space-time continuum with CS4 activation.

Although the CS4 activation servers are officially dead, CS4 can still be activated for use on a fresh install on a computer where CS4 has never previously been installed. I successfully activated CS4 myself a couple of months ago just as a proof of concept.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know how Adobe Photoshop install process works on a mac. In the Past you had  a Mac with a macOS  that your downloaded  Adobe  Phoroshop Installer  installed the newer CS3 that only needs your new serial to run.    Why would your  backp up of Adobe's new Photoshop CS3 installer not work on a mac that is running that macOS version that supports CS3 32 bit code?  I would say you have some Mac issue, or your backup has been corrupted.

• Mac OS X v.10.4.9; Java™ Runtime Environment 1.5 required for Adobe Version Cue® CS3 Server

https://www.adobe.com/store/en_us/popup/software/creativesuite/mastercollection/systemreqs.html 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@juanfordroad wrote:

Hi JJ & Abambo.

CS3 installs on (at the time) supported hard and software, but activation is not possible, because the activation servers are down. That's what I said.

However, on a running system, an activated CS3 software product continues to run. So, as long as your hardware is healthy enough, you will be able to use your software. Failing hardware (not a bomb in Photoshop) will make your installed and activated Photoshop unusable. 

Currently CS5 ist the oldest product where the activation servers are still running as of my information.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Abambo.

I understand the servers have been shut down.

I fail to understand why the code was written, by whomever, that makes it necessary to have internet permission to reinstall software which was paid for and owned by me.  Wouldn't it have been more logical for code writers to have written something that would restrict the purchaser attempting to illeagally give/sell their copy to others rather than penalizing the purchaser who does not?

I understan that business' cannot survive without making a reasonable profit.  What is sad are business' that turn "reasonable" into "greed".

Hope we all experience a happy and healthy new year.

God Bless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fail to understand why the code was written... that makes it necessary to have internet permission to reinstall software which was paid for and owned by me.  

==========

To thwart piracy.  Technically you don't own anything.  Adobe owns the software.  You merely purchased a limited license to use it.

From the Creative Suite End User License Agreement (EULA): 

ADOBE AND ITS SUPPLIERS OWN ALL INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY IN THE SOFTWARE. THE SOFTWARE IS LICENSED, NOT SOLD.

THE SOFTWARE MAY INCLUDE PRODUCT ACTIVATION AND OTHER TECHNOLOGY DESIGNED TO PREVENT UNAUTHORIZED USE AND COPYING.

https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/legal/licenses-terms/pdf/CS5.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stand corrected.

Lawyers 1, Consumers 0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stand corrected.

Lawyers 1, Consumers 0.

By @juanfordroad

==========

If the shoe was on the other foot, I guarantee you would do the same.  

Besides, you got 15 years of usage from software that had a 3 year shelf-life.  That's a lot of FREE mileage from a single tank of gas. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@juanfordroad wrote:

... to reinstall software which was paid for and owned by me.

To clarify, it's not only Adobe. This is the way software licenses have always worked. What you own is the license to use it as the developer allows, never the software itself.

Here's one link but there are many.

https://www.webopedia.com/insights/owningsoftware/

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines