• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wishlist: Your Wish for Adobe's Next New Application

Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2016 Jun 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the new Fourm Lounge where we can let down our hair and chat as designers and developers, peers. I'm Pariah Burke, your unofficial guide through this newly rechristened conversation space. Feel free to post anything in this forum you'd like to talk about with other creatives and programmers, anything that isn't "this broke" or "how do I make Application X do that".

Pull up a chair, pour yourself a glass of wine, a mug of stout, or cup of tea, and let's talk.

I'll get the ball rolling by asking a question:

What is the next application Adobe should make? Looking at all the applications in Creative Cloud (and beyond), what do you think is missing? What need do you see that Adobe could fill?

Pariah Burke | Trainer, Author, Instructional Designer | InDesign, InCopy, Illustrator, Photoshop, Firefly, Audition, Canva, Generative AI | Accessibility / Section 508, Publishing, Generative AI, EPUB, IFX, more.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2016 Aug 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is definitely a need for a font editor, but I don't think Adobe could do a better job than FontLab. I doubt anyone at Adobe would think Adobe could do a better job than FontLab, either.

Pariah Burke | Trainer, Author, Instructional Designer | InDesign, InCopy, Illustrator, Photoshop, Firefly, Audition, Canva, Generative AI | Accessibility / Section 508, Publishing, Generative AI, EPUB, IFX, more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to agree with Pariah - FontLab Studio 5 is about as good as it gets.  It's not a Cadillac... it's a Bentley!  It's the core tool that Adobe, Monotype Imaging, FontFont, and just about everyone else does to do their work.  All of them have some custom 'secret sauce' tools to add necesary extra bits to some of the OTF tables that Studio has difficulty with.

Fontlab also sells Fontographer (they picked it up from Adobe during the Macromedia merger), and ScanFont - which can auto-outline image data to create font vector info.

There are several others on the market - Birdfont, FontForge, among others. Font editor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've banged around with most/all of these.  My primary go-to tools are Studio 5 (deep analysis and conversion to other formats (long story)) and ScanFont - client logos into fonts.  Last time I looked (today) both supports Type1, TTF (Mac & Win), and OTF output types.

As you may are interested in starting with graphics, to be transformed by some complex* number system (2, 3, + dimensions), ScanFont may be the tool you want, with BirdFont, FontForge (or similar tool), handling the 'minor tweeking' needed.

* Isn't programming complex number (a + bi) systems using languages that don't support them fun?  My first Mandelbrot program was written in COBOL, then rewritten in Turbo Pascal. Neither of which supported objects nor complex numbers.

Enjoy!

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback Pariah and Doug!

That trial I had was, I believe, Fontlab Studio.  And yes, it was amazing!  Just out of my price range.  I think I saw a plug-in for Illustrator that allowed saving things as fonts.  It was 3rd party, but I am sure I can find it again if I ever need it.  I was just thinking that I have a chance of getting it if it was part of a suite from Adobe because I do a lot of trading my services for software that can be used to make what clients want.

I had a rough time convincing someone to grab a copy of the CS6 Master Collection in return for a few sites they wanted.  I doubt I'll find a sucker for Fontlab Studio!

But since I am a big boy and can take no for an answer, I will not be afraid to ask 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I think it would be really important to maintain or bring back the option to import personal shortcuts to premiere pro 2021.

As a whole preset. (Like we had it in Premiere pro 2019) I really don't want to define every single personal shortcut after an update. (For the time being I stick to Premiere pro 2019;)

Thanks a lot and best regards.

Ursula Schmidt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have all my personal shortcuts in PrPro 2020 and 2021 ... so something is off in your computer, and my guess is it would be a permissions issue or perhaps (as I ran into!) it's an issue with a cloud service like MS OneDrive (or whatever it's called).

That re-encapsulated all my "user/x/x" folders to itself ... and as it kept refreshing them, to the Adobe apps, they were unavailable for storage. So every launch, they'd look for the file ... couldn't find it ... and create a new one as they are programmed.

It took me nearly a day to fully kill OneDrive from my desktop.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't wish to rain on anyone's parade here.  But this thread is from 2016!  A lot has changed since then.

Feel free to submit your feature requests to UserVoice where the appropriate product engineers will see them. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/how-to-user-voice.html

If enough other users agree with your idea and it's viable, Adobe may add it to a future release version.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy,

Yes, I was a bit confused why this 2016 discussion popped up again.

Seems to have been re-started by Kevin Monahan's post on page 1. Not sure why he responded to a 5 year old thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It looks like @Ursula5C58 resurrected it on June 1 to which @R Neil Haugen replied.  But I don't know why @Kevin-Monahan's reply landed on page 1 unless he replied to a spammer?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines