• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hebrew fonts?

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2007 Jun 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in N. America trying to purchase a Hebrew font for use in creating some bilingual documentation for a product my company will sell. We are trying, if possible, to use a Hebrew typeface that would be considered "compatible" with Frutiger. Problem is, I am not finding any Hebrew fonts at all on Adobe's website as is presented to me in N. America. Does Adobe have any Hebrew fonts? How can I access and purchase them?
TOPICS
How to , Purchase

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 132 Replies 132
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2008 Apr 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>On the contrary, the various editions of the Talmud are being poorly created using non-Adobe dedicated custom software. This infers that InDesign is not capable of doing this massive historic project.

Again not true. Today editions of the Talmud are being created in Tag which has been designed to do such work and is far superior to InDesign in this particular respect. The results are absolutely fantastic.

Secondly, you have to recognise InDesign's limitations it's great for something but not for others.

Thirdly, Adobe's job is to create amazing software, not become typesetters. They create tools for typesetters. I'm not sure why you would think it's the job of Adobe to typeset anything be it a novel or the Talmud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Not correct. First, there are different versions of accepted Koran text. Its size is not massive. Adil Awalli of Ready Set Go in London has a superior product for the Koran that makes InDesign look inferior.

>Similarly, the Bible is a fraction in size of the Talmud, even including Hebrew Tanach, which Adobe customers are doing.

>Therefore, only the Talmud is the choice subject for all different reasons.

Sorry, I fail to see the logic. You are saying because Ready Set Go typeset a Qoran, therefore Adobe should typeset a Talmud? I don't really understand why RSG typeset a Qoran, but perhaps this was to prove that RSG can do this. However, there is only one set text of the Talmud so if Adobe were to do this, then yes, it would be in direct competition with it's clients, but again the question must be asked, Why? Why should Adobe typeset anything? Indesign is a proven product. The fact that I can typeset the Koren Tanakh in it without even thinking about it proves the point. What has InDesign got to prove?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Irwin,
>The end result would be a tangible testimony that the Adobe graphic art software accomplish a massive task of historical proportions. The Talmud is the most massive set of knowledge books, representing much of the body of Jewish wisdom that was ever created, containing more material than even Encyclopedia Britanica.

I appreciate the possible implication of such an endeavor. But it is not where Adobe should be expending its resources. Adobe is primarily a software developer, and a good one at that. As has been said, it is not a typesetter/printer.

I'm afraid that you are looking at the emotional aspects of the project, and not the end result. Although there certainly would be sincere appreciation for such an effort from a niche community, from a larger business perspective, it just is not a sound investment of Adobe's time and money. Return on such an investment would be (to be honest) minimal, regardless of the good press it might garner in this area.

Adobe's resources should be focused on Adobe's raison d'être -- software development, workflows and interfaces.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2008 May 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil,

Thank you for your caring and thoughtful response.

Now, your reasoning has shifted here, even though the underlying sentiment response has been consistent. I believes the points of the issue can be logically addressed, and a different conclusion derifed, this though is closer to a case of "you can lead a horse to water, but you can not make him drink".

My nature is to persist until I overcome even where the odds indicate failure to succeed, but I am preoccupied with other matters now. Hence, I will respond later.

Irwin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Goodness me Irwin, you are a persistent fellow. How about we say it like this:

Adobe isn't in that business.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Nobody is currently using Adobe software to create a new edition of the Talmud. So, it is not harming any customers.

> Who says? I'm not in a position to disclose more information, but I can say for a fact that this statement is not true.

There is a clear and open contradiction here. Either, yes, Adobe InDesign is the superior typesetting program, ideal to produce this massive project,
or,
no, Adobe InDesign is a second rate typesetting program (unlike Adobe would like us to believe), not ideal to produce this massive project.

Here, it must be the best thing since the invention of the wheel, as it has in deed been selected over TAG for this massive project.

I believe Raphael is saying a bahbah-mahseh, an expression in Yiddish for wishful thinking. And InDesign ME is heads and shoulders more superior to TAG, and is worthy more than Quark or Ready, Set, Go, to create a new ever-lasting edition of the Talmud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it is Yiddish for a "grandmother's tale" ...

- Dov

PS: Adobe is not going to sponsor a Talmud Typesetting project in InDesign. This thread is now ended ... Sof Pasuk!
- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not a Hebrew issue but I just tried to create "Rx" (with the x as part of the "R" for prescription) in Photoshop Elements. I got a free download of Babelmap since it's a glyph. Only it's NOT a glyph. Very strange, at least I thought. If anyone has any ideas other than to actually create it by merging together letters in Illustrator please let me know. Thanks and Shanah Tovah "2020"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines