• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AMD Threadripper 1950x Slow Adobe Boot and Render

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just bought a power-house PC specifically for Premiere Pro and After Effects, and was expecting extremely fast render times. However, not only does Premiere Pro and After Effects take over 30 seconds to boot (my old computer booted them in less than 10 seconds), but the rendering time seems the same, if not worse. Here are my specs:

Processor: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X (16-Core) (Boost Up to 4.0 GHz)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG ZENITH EXTREME (AMD X399 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices) (ECC Support)

System Memory: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz

Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (480GB)

Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (3TB Seagate / Toshiba)

Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)

Both Adobe and the Cache are located on the SSD. I have tried allocating more memory to Adobe. I have tried both Creator Mode and Game Mode on the 1950x.

It took me 15 minutes to render a 12 minute 1080p video which barely had any effects, and used a lot of still frame pictures with voice-over. With this powerful of a machine, it seems absurd.

Also in Adobe Animate, when I try to preview my animations in 1080p within the program, there is still a lot of lag. I would get this on my older PC too, but I expected that this machine could handle it.

Does anyone know what may be slowing down the applications? Is Adobe Programs simply not updated yet for high-core processors?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 317 Replies 317
Advocate ,
Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Jason you must be using a custom loop to be including the VRM in your water cooling.  What system are you using?

Yeah, this thread is all over the place and hopefully the OP doesn't mind.

My entire system is outlined here: Gaming Rig – jvp Video Productions The video that's attached to that page is out of date as it has my previous motherboard, CPU, and RAM.  The list of items on that page is correct.  Bear in mind that the system was assembled over time, and not purchased all at once.  But to answer your question about the motherboard: an Asus Rampage VI Extreme.  That I had to wait for.

My cooling system is completely custom, and expensive.  I wouldn't suggest that someone new to water cooling jump right in and try to mimic what I did.  You'll frustrate yourself, and possibly bankrupt yourself.  The CPU (and now VRMs) is cooled by a massive 480mm x 60mm radiator in a push/pull configuration.  That means 8 120mm fans doing the work through a radiator that weighs a ton.  I keep the fans rotating at a constant, slow 700RPMs so there's nearly no noise at all.  Even under load.

The GPUs are both cooled by a separate loop that includes 2 huge radiators (a 480x60 and a 560x60), both in a push/pull config.  Yeah, that means 16 more fans just for the GPUs.  Again, the fans spin at a constant rate whether the GPUs are loaded up or not.  Once you go water cooling (properly), you learn that you don't need to have your fans on a variable speed curve.  Just set them and walk away.

After you read through the list (and watch the out of date vid if you want), ask more questions.  I'll answer as best I can.  FWIW, my last PPBM8 submission:

"35","34","7","160", Premiere Version:, 12.0.0.224

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Trevor, you could have went a little over the top there! Or maybe allot!! but you sure have a fine setup there for sure.

Mike.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike, that was Jason responding to me.  I just have a single 280mm rad in AIO doing just the CPU from the get go.  I'll look at changing that to a custom loop later if it turns out that I need to, but I won't be OC'ing the 7900X, but I am definitely hoping to run Turbo 3 without BSODs and overheating.

If the VRM heat sink is removable on the non-SE ASRock X299 Professional Gaming i9, then I might make one from scratch from a solid billet of aluminum.  We also have a local guy who could cast one from a 3D printed pattern.  This is totally crazy if you think about it though, as is Jason's wildly OTT cooling system.  We shouldn't need to go to such lengths to run off the shelf PC components.

BTW  There is a looooong thread on Overclock.net that started with the X299 Taichi, but drifts into other boards.

[ASRock] - ASRock X299 Taichi XE + X299 Professional Gaming i9 XE introduced

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so sorry Trevor. I don't know how I made that silly mistake. Your new build must be on my mind or something? I did respond to Jason's post but somehow managed to pun your name in instead of Jason's. Silly old me Jason sure put some time and money into that build but I feel it's OTT myself, as you know it will be a Dinosaur in a couple of months! 

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Mike+1+Irish  wrote

Jason sure put some time and money into that build but I feel it's OTT myself, as you know it will be a Dinosaur in a couple of months!

Nah.  As I wrote previously, that wasn't all bought at once.  It was collected over time.  As newer GPUs, CPUs, drives, etc became available, I purchased them and sold the previous one(s).  I'll continue to do that.  The X299 system will be front and center for the foreseeable future for Intel.  They stick with their top-end chipsets for about 3-4 years, so we'll see a new chipset circa 2020 if not 2021.  New CPUs that fit the 2066 socket will probably come out, but I wouldn't guess until 2019 or so.

As for the GPUs, they're already out of date and were as of May this year when NVidia launched the un-gimped Titan Xp cards.  But I'm good and will wait for the next gen NVidia GPUs before I replace mine.

The case and cooling will stay perfectly valid well into the future.  The only updates I'll need to make is when I buy new components that need different cooling blocks.  The audio setup will stay valid as well.

This ain't my first rodeo.  😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jason. Sorry is I came across a little strong there. I do remember you saying that you did add to your original builds over time. I do like your audio setup, coming from a HIFI BG I do appreciate a good system. I use the Sennheiser HD-580's myself and love them but you pay for quality.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2017 Dec 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any threadripper users here that have amd gpu's? I"m beginning to think the problem wit this lag might be related to nvidiacards mainly? I have read on some overclockers forum where users with a amd card don't seem to have these kind of issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice to know this could be the cause! So a firmware update could fix this? As Carlsberg says PROBABLY! 

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Max yuryev (you can find his videos back on youtube) also has a threadripper set up with a amd vega gpu and he seems to have none of these issues, I am trying to get my hands on a amd gpu to see if my lag issues disappear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Moa. Yes I did see that video on youtube when I was researching my build. Here is the link to his video.>> 8K Video Editing BEAST! - 16 Core ThreadRipper for Premiere Pro and Resolve - YouTube

In all the research I did I felt hape that bI had made the right decision on getting the 1950X CPU but what I dident know was haw tempermantal the CPU is with mwmory.

I will let you all know how I get on with my new motherboard up and running.

Cheers.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting a amd rx 570 tomorrow, my gtx 1060 will be moved to my older system so I finally will know if it's a gpu issue. In my case the performance is there, the memory runs at  3200mhz but the general responsiveness on my system is not good, there is a slight lag on everything which is not normal and it looks like a display driver issue eventhough all my drivers are up to date. If the amd gpu doesn't solve the issue then I just have to wait until a bios update to hope that will fix the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I look forward to see how the RX570 works out for you. I do hope it solves your problems. I chose the ASUS GTX 1080 8G with the new 5x memory a little more expensive than the standard but I thought it might help out. I had a problem running my memory on the ASUS board. I did notice that ran warning light was lit on the board when I first started up but I thought it was a simple incompatible with my memory I have. I reduced the speed of the ram to a I think 2933 GHz but the light remained on. The system did run but as you know it wasn't running as it should. I only noticed that it was in fact only using two sticks of memory. The slots that are affected are B1&C1 so as I said that would leave only two working dims out of a total of 8? I am having a replacement sent to me and I should receive it by the middle of next week. I am hoping that this time round that I finally have a working system and I can relax again and get back to a normal working day.

Best of look with the new card Moa.

Regards.

Mike 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

noa-noa  wrote

I am getting a amd rx 570 tomorrow, my gtx 1060 will be moved to my older system so I finally will know if it's a gpu issue.

If you use Premiere Pro, have you tried Bill's PPBM benchmark?  That will tell you how much your GPU is helping with PremPro at least, and give you a reference to compare with another GPU in the same system.

Mike, I have no expertise with memory, but in my reading of X299 and X399 systems, I have read that the first three numbers should be the same, as in 19,19,19 or whatever.  I think I read back down this thread that that was not the case with your system.

I also watched this video when doing my research, and I later decided that it messed me up completely.  I was happily settled on Threadripper after watching, it but went all through the various Puget Systems and Toms Hardware articles again, and realised that the information didn't tally.  On the other hand, Puget and Toms were agreeing with each other.  ISTR reading an article on Puget (or it might have been Toms) about why some benchmarks differed with others, and why some tester's methodology was flawed.  I can't remember the details, and I can't think of the right search criteria to find it again.  The bottom line is that I decided not to trust the video below, and based my choice on Puget systems and Toms Hardware, but I mostly chose X299 because of its higher clock speeds.

8K Video Editing BEAST! - 16 Core ThreadRipper for Premiere Pro and Resolve - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that's right Trevor. My ram is CL:16-18-18-38 at 1.35v and I believe it is on the ASUS QV list? We will know for sure by the middle of next week if things work as the should. But the motherboard if faulty and that's for certain. I removed the effect ram from slots B1&C1 and placed the known working ram from another slots on the board and the slots B1&C1 still showed as not found? So the board if a faulty one!!

Mike   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That puny AMD RX 570 will not be as good as the GTX 1060. 

Max forgot to say that his PPBM test resuls showed this;

"34","79","27","156", Premiere Version:, 11.1.2.22  AMD Vega Frontier 16GB GPU ($1000)

"34","52","13","158", Premiere Version:, 11.1.2.22, ASUS GTX 1080 Ti

My single GTX 1060 6GB SC scored this on the two GPU Accelerated tests

"xx","62","24","xxx", Premiere Version:, 11.1.2.22, ASUS GTX 1060 6GB SC ($270)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to mention, I use Edius which doesn't need a fast GPU for performance gains, I"m only trying to solve the lack of overall system responsiveness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill. I had the ASUS GTX OC 1060 card and had nothing but trouble with it. I eventually contacted ASUS and they said and I quote. The 1060  is not on the QVL for the ASUS X99 Deluxe motherboard and they refused to answer any question in it's regard? I contacted AMAZON and asked did they have any complaints about the ASUS GTX (OC)1060 graphics card as I felt that the card was the cause of the truble I was experiencing. I was told that because of the HIGH NUMBER OF RETURNS THAT THEY WERE NO LONGER SELLING IT DIRECTLY.

(DON'T CONFUSE THIS WITH THE OLDER 1080).I returned the card for a full refund and placed an order for the Asus GeForce Rog Strix GTX 1080 8GB 11GBPS GDDR5X – Graphics card

I Would say that when I fitted the 1080 I couldn't believe the difference in quality and performance.  How I feel. Don't waste your hard earned money on a 1060 get a 1080 and you won't regret it.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark,  I do not know what your problem was with the GTX 1060 but my two EVGA 06G-P4-6163-KR units work perfectly in my "desktop" shown here along with three of my M.2 SSD's

Of course only one works with CS6 but from there on they both are very functional.  The models here are superclocked and further i added overclocking so that GPU-Z shows 2500 MHz on the first Tab but because it is a CUDA process the real GPU-Z Memory clock slows down and is really 2399 MHz.  So that means I am running those guys at 9600 MHz virtual speed

Also here is performance versus Premiere Pro version

Premiere
Version
Disk I/O
Test

H.264
Timeline

with GPU

MPEG2-DVD
with GPU
MPEG2-DVD
CPU only
nVidia
Driver

The above GPU acceleraterd scores are with a single SC + OC GTX 1060

Here if you look at the results on my PPBM web page you will see my results testing with various GPU's

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow Bill I love your caes. Where can I get one just like yours

Now back to reality. What program are you using to monitor your PC speeds.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is my Premiere Pro BenchMark coauthored by the now deceased Harm Millaard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My open system does allow instant flexibility, I can boot to window 7, 8, 10 (two versions) and run any version of Premiere from CS6 to the current Premiere Pro 12 and hard disk drives and SSD's galore.  To speed up options it rarely is ever connected to the Internet and as such I do not have a password.  For instance with video drivers I simply download on my laptop and use USB to walk it to that system.  The only time it is connected is to download Premiere updates or upgrades or upgrade the OS ad then instantly disconnected 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really like your neat and tidy cable management. The system makes for a cooler running system and easy to add or remove drives and video cards etc. I have seen a CHAP THAT HAS HIS SYSTEM IN HOMEMADE BOX AND HE HAS A GLASS PANEL OR PERSPECTS OVER THE TOP OF IT . His system is lying on its back with the glass to covering the top like a coffee table.It works for him!

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill. I downloaded it but I only have Photoshop & Lightroom. I run the Space shuttle landing in PS and recorder 0;01;19;16 time 29.97 Fps recorded :

I then run the house one and recorded a time of 0;00;06;29 - 29;97 Fps

I don't know if this means anything to you because it was run in PScc?

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PPBM only does testing in Premiere Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well now I know you can take a joke Bill. Good night from Ireland.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines