Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing native multi-stream 4k & 6k video tracks with Premiere....Grrrrr!~

New Here ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh Premiere... or is it my new PC?

I just purchased this beast (see specs below) hoping that it would crush through playback/editing multiple streams of 4k and 6k video footage. Unfortunately it can't manage the native footage even at 1/8 resolution. We have been using the new iMacPro which can manage this task (albeit not full res) just fine. I was hoping by switching to a powerful PC that it wouldn't blink at performing this same task without having to drop the resolution.

Any suggestions on what I can do to take advantage of this new pc and premiere?

Thanks!

Intel Core i7-7820X Skylake-X 3.6GHz (4.3Ghz Turbo)

Eight-Core |

Noctua NH-U12S 120mm Fan Quiet |

ASUS TUF X299 MARK 2 (Intel X299, 4xPCIe, 6xSATA, 2x

M.2, 8xDDR4) |

64GB (16GBx4) DDR4 2400Mhz Memory Lifetime Warranty

(Major Brand) |

512GB SAMSUNG 960 Pro Series PCIe M.2 |

512GB SAMSUNG 960 Pro Series PCIe M.2 |

11GB GTX 1080 Ti GDDR5 Video Card |

Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64bit (Includes DVD +

COA) |

Fractal Design Define C Tempered Glass (2 3.5, 3 2.5) 2 Fans,

Audio/USB 3.0 |

850watt eVGA G3 Gold 80 PLUS CERTIFIED |

Onboard 1Gbit LAN included |

Onboard HD 7.1 Sound included |

[Moderator note: moved to best forum.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the media you're using?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s GH5 4K 150mbps 4:2:2 10bit footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh. My.

You're throwing some of the nastiest long-GOP media made at it. That media is so demanding of computational resources, CPU  threads and cache, it's amazing. Many CPUs can't even sustain high use while struggling to decode and decompress that stuff because they don't have adequate on-chip cache levels and such to handle all the partial frame crud of the media.

Over on the hardware forum, there are several threads where some smart experienced heads help out with such things, as occasionally mobo settings and such can be tweaked for solid performance gains.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know Neil, thanks.

Whats really strange is we’ve been using the new iMac Pro and it’s been able to successfully playback/edit multiple streams of 4K in 1/2 resolution so I don’t get why this machine can’t do it especially considering the components are more powerful than the entry level iMac Pro.

Could you share the link to the hardware discussion  please?

Thanks for all your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple threads away from this one ... as it's now in the Hardware forum.

Why is Premiere HOT GARBAGE? (Help!)

ECBowen​ is particularly useful on the BIOS tuning data, many other things. Bill Gehrke​ is in general a tech store-house of the data from running his test project on thousands of machines.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Neil !

Download my Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) and Submit your results to give us your test results and machine info.  There are four exports with specially construed timelines to test your CPU, GPU and storage.

FYI, I just took a GH5 4K 10-bit, one minute long clip to my well tuned 8-core i7-5960X @ 4.5 GHz and ran it at full resolution with zero lost frames.  It has 5 cuts with each subclip having some effect, admittedly not very complex.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines