• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Laptop requirements - Premiere pro cc 2018?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

PP 2018 doesn't really work on my old PC, "HP 840".
I need to upgrade, to a new HP Laptop. (it has to be HP)

Anyone who could help me which to buy?

Or could I not use a laptop for 2018 version?

/Tomas

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need a laptop with:

- a lot of RAM (16gb is ok, 32gb is better)

- A good GPU: Nvidia 1060-1070-1080 with at least 4gb of Vram (if you plan to do serious work and color correction on your laptop)

Hope this helps,

Seb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 8gb ram.. will i still be able to work on it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sweetsummerfalls  wrote

I have 8gb ram.. will i still be able to work on it?

Not with Premiere Pro CC 2019:

Adobe Creative Cloud system requirements

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i see, so i can still have an option to download adobe pro cc 2017 or 2018 version??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would have to install the Creative Cloud Desktop Application and see if the option is still there for you:

Download Creative Cloud desktop app

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

will that work on a laptop? This is my laptops specs..

HP 15-DA0056TX Intel Core i5 8thGen
Intel Core i5-8250U, 8GB DDR4 Memory, 1TB HDD Storage, NVIDIA GeForce MX110 2GB DDR3 dedicated, 15.6" WLED, DVD-Writer, Windows 10 Operating System

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2019 won't.  2018 may work, but it will not be a happy editing experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without going into every model of HP laptop I can give you some general suggestions, especially since I don't know what your budget is. Look up the Premiere Pro requirements here (Adobe Premiere Pro System Requirements ) Pay attention to the video card specs. When you shop for a laptop try to get an i7 processor and a separate video card. I am partial to Nvidia myself, but that specs page lists both Nvidia and AMD. I have found that model numbers tend to stay ahead of Adobe's "official" list, but the list can help you gauge where your card may fall, since the newer numbers kind of fit a pattern.

HP is actually an Adobe partner, meaning several of their systems are certified or guaranteed to be compatible with Adobe's software (designed to get the most bang for your buck) Those tend to be business class machines. (My work provides me with an HP workstation-class laptop. Spendy for sure, but works flawlessly.) Even if you don't have that budget I have seen laptops sold by Costco that spec-wise look like they would be up to the task no problem. The i7 processor and separate video card are the big keys to me, along with as much RAM as your machine and budget will allow. (Aim for minimum of 16GB, and go up from there)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2018 Jul 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had NOTHING but issues with my HP zbook g4 since getting it a week ago.  It has been nearly impossible to download adobe cc without tech support doing so.  They had to access a hidden admin user panel.  Then trying to edit 4k was a nightmare.  Nothing but lag on video playback.  And mind you this was spec'd fairly high.  I am returning it today actually and getting a Sager NP9175.  For literally almost the same price I can double my ram to 64gb, add 2 m.2 SSD drives compared to the HP non m.2 SSD drives.  And I can put a i7 8 gen DESKTOP CPU in it along with a DESKTOP GTX 1080.  For literally the same price! 

HP Z book was built fantastic and I am not expecting the same premium feel with the Sager but I need something extremely powerful when on the road.  I am not planning on using this on a plane or in a car.  Strictly when traveling in hotels etc.  So speed is key for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to what Seb stated, a CPU with at least four cores and eight threads. Unfortunately, the HP EliteBook 840, even in its latest and current G4 iteration, falls short on two of these three: All of the configurations are available only with dual-core CPUs and integrated Intel HD graphics. Neither a quad-core hyperthreadable CPU nor a discrete GPU is available on any of the EliteBook 840 configurations even as options. And you will have to purchase RAM separately because as configured all of them come with only 8GB of RAM, running in single-channel mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2018 Jul 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case you want to know, HP has since released an updated G5 version of the EliteBook 840, which can now be custom-configured with an "8th-generation" 4-core, 8-thread CPU such as an i7-8550U. Still no CUDA GPU option whatsoever. In fact, the only discrete GPU option available in the EliteBook 840 G5 is an AMD Radeon RX 540 - but you're still at the mercy of Adobe's OpenCL GPU acceleration issues. At least all of the displays available for the EliteBook 840 G5 are FHD (1920x1080) resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thank you all for quick input here.

I read about System Requirements before and became concious if it really works on a laptop, but it seems to work.

And the price, well difficult to match needs <> price

It seems to go with 8G ram and without GPU, but understand it will be difficult to work then.

I'll search around, with maximum budget around ~ 1200 $.

If you know a laptop model, its ok to write it here

Anyway, i'm very grateful for the information you already wrote here.

Thanx! RjL190365 Mizzou95yenaphe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the Hardware Forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is an ideal starting point shopping list for a HP Omen X 17T

Processor and graphics

Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ (2.8 GHz, up to 3.8 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores) + NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 (8 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
Intel® Core™ i7-7820HK (2.9 GHz, up to 3.9 GHz, 8 MB cache, 4 cores) + NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 (8 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ (2.8 GHz, up to 3.8 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores) + NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 (8 GB GDDR5X dedicated)
Intel® Core™ i7-7820HK (2.9 GHz, up to 3.9 GHz, 8 MB cache, 4 cores) + NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 (8 GB GDDR5X dedicated) 

Display

17.3" diagonal FHD 120 Hz IPS anti-glare WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)
LCD 17.3 FHD AG LED UWVA flatfGSync144Hz
17.3" diagonal 4K IPS eDP anti-glare WLED-backlit (3840 x 2160) 

Memory

12 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (1 x 4 GB, 1 x 8 GB)
16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)
16 GB DDR4-2800 SDRAM (1 x 16 GB) supporting Intel® XMP
24 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB, 1 x 16 GB)
32 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (2 x 16 GB)
32 GB DDR4-2800 SDRAM (2 x 16 GB) supporting Intel® XMP 

Hard drive

1 TB 7200 rpm SATA
1 TB 7200 rpm SATA; 128 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
HDD 2TB 5400RPM SATA
1 TB 7200 rpm SATA; 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
1 TB 7200 rpm SATA; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
1 TB 7200 rpm SATA; Two 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
1 TB 7200 rpm SATA; Two 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
1 TB 7200 rpm SATA; 1TB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
1 TB 7200 rpm SATA; Two 1TB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD 

Here is the link to customize your unit

It appears that you can have 2 NVMe M.2 SSD's plus a 1TB 7200 rpm hard disk drive.  Which means if you only order one now you should be able to add another later on if you can not afford it immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanx for your input, that looks good, maybe the price is a bit high. Needs <> Price

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tomasj46868297  wrote

maybe the price is a bit high.

You can't really get an adequate editing laptop that's inexpensive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're so right. Well, just pick up the wallet. If you buy quality, you only cry once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope you are aware that do do serious video editing on a laptop you have to plan on having it plugged into the AC power.  All laptops slow down immensely when only on the battery power.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanx, yes, have experience of it. I've been editing for a long time with CS6 on my EliteBook 840, and without power it dies right away, and now I got a license for 2018 and here I am... It doesn't work of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tomas

The Sager

NP8952 Notebook --seems good ($1699)--This forum put me on to sager.com--I dont currently own one--but Ive heard good things and their higher end laptops are usually a good bet to handle Premiere pro. Just see the specs for yourself... If you skimp now you WILL PAY later--might as well spend a couple hundred more--that is... unless you dont want mercury plaayback and all the time saving it affords...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maybe you could even get away with this..

SagerNP8950 Notebook ($1499)

Although the NVidia Geforce GTX1060--may be the lowest performer capable of mercury playback...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanx for your info, Sager looks really cool. Gaming PC is probably a safe choice. I'm unfortunately a little locked to HP laptop's. But as you say, it's probably best to pay a little more from the beginning. Hehe, as I wrote, If you buy quality, you only cry once

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just looked further into your old laptop (the first-generation HP EliteBook 840), and discovered why you couldn't really run PP CC 2018 with it:

1) It came standard with only 4GB of RAM. PP CC 2015 and later requires 8GB or more RAM just to even run at all.

2) The EliteBook 840 G1's display is only capable of a resolution of 1366x768. Newer versions of Premiere Pro will now simply throw up an error message and refuse to run at all. CS6 still threw up a warning message, but at least would launch. And all recent versions of Premiere Pro require a minimum horizontal display resolution of 1280 pixels and a minimum vertical display resolution of 800 pixels just to run properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TL2121  wrote

maybe you could even get away with this..

SagerNP8950 Notebook ($1499)

Although the NVidia Geforce GTX1060--may be the lowest performer capable of mercury playback...

Sager's are great units and with custom laptop builder like XoticPC you have endless options..  If you have connectios to HP I was pleasantly shocked to find out that they offered good choices of customization.  As far as the GTX 1060 goes it is a great CUDA Accelerator.  I have great data by a very simple and very safe overclocking.  Take a look at my GPU test data from my Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines