• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updated hardware — no performance gains — fed up

Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Premiere Pro and 4 other CC applications for the last 3-4 years as a hobby and business. Over those years, I have experienced a TON of crashes. Some saved by my macbooks ability to preserve the file and others by having autosave on.

Recently, I upgraded my computer. Went from 4 cores to 6, 16GB ram to 32, M.2, RAID the whole nine. I've gone through several iterations to improve my machine thinking, it just isn't powerful enough.

At this point, I 100% believe the premiere just not good enough. The only good thing that happened in the upgrade is export time... yay. Instead of waiting an hour, I now get the same file out in 10 min.

Computer Specs:

i7- 8700 6 core 3.7

Gygabyte Z730

32GB DDR4 RAM

250GB M.2 System drive

Two 1TB M.2 in RAID0 for footage and live editing

10TB HDD for scratch and archive

Liquid Cooled

MSI GTX 1080

and 6 fans to keep airflow

My CPU never really peaks during editing, my ram hovers at about 50% usage and my GPU never seems to be active (Even the CUDA is set). I edit 4k S-LOG flies from my Sony a7Riii and a6500. Nothing EPIC being done here... some grading and such... Im at a loss.

Last thing I am going to try is Overclocking... if that does not work, I will assume that I need to go to Davinci... so, bye I guess... wish I could get my 4 years of expenses back.

Mod note: Title changed to reflect issue. Moved to Hardware Forum.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not someone that works for premiere, but I have been editing as a "hobby" since late 90s..and can tell you that one thing that rocks with them is they are consistent and are always exploring new territory in design and structure, I have used other editing programs and premiere always keeps the core basics at home, you take a program like final cut pro which I fell in love with then watch them go full on final cut pro X to something that is absolutely absurd to what you are familiar with as a change over and damn to some that is fine...I don't know, I do know that anytime I have a problem in premiere, there is always an answer, which...is why I am posting here. My latest dillema as a video hobbyist is going full 4k, well it takes a lot of everything, which is why proxies are so important, I would be shocked if I didn't find an answer to my solution in how I can do so moving forward. Premiere is consistent with its tools and resources, and I would only be back peddling going to another program and truly believe it is built on heart, even if I think they have zero clue of seeing what should be the main focus in 2019 for video editing with proxies for people broke as me that are into this as a hobby. I say stick around and adapt,the core of the program is still built on heart and soul. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short answer, Premiere pro is antiquated, it just doesn't know how to use your hardware at full potential and probably never will, there is no serious competition and it will never get updated to use newer hardware properly.

People are lazy and most of them got used to premiere, there are alternatives like Davinci Resolve but the learning curve scares most users and they stick with Premiere, this means there is no point in throwing money if it sells.

At some point someone will say to you the MEDIA IS VERY IMPORTANT, h264 is very intensive on the computer and that's why even 28 cores won't do it, Nvidia 2080 ti it's not enough, 64gb ram is minimum for 4k and all that crap.

Well, it's not true, it's just premiere pro's fault, you can cut  A7 III files perfectly fine on a tablet like apple's ipad pro, or davinci resolve with no need for transcoding.

If don't want to learn another NLE then suck it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2019 May 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short answer, Premiere pro is antiquated, it just doesn't know how to use your hardware at full potential and probably never will, there is no serious competition and it will never get updated to use newer hardware properly.

Adobe did a full rewrite of the code 2003 with the advent of Premiere Pro 1.0, a.k.a Premiere 7.0, a.k.a Premiere Pro 7.0. So hopefully we will see a full rewrite soon. This would be very welcome imo.

Adobe Premiere Pro - Wikipedia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2019 Jun 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What were you looking for in addition to significantly improved render times?  (10 minutes to 6 minutes is pretty impressive.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol... to not crash. Render times was "Yay", like thats great but the least exciting upgrade.

So far, Overclocking to 4.9Ghz has been pretty stable and improved. Had an odd Save "not responding" but came back pretty quickly. Other than that, no dropped frames playing 4k footage back and editing fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Overclocking should be avoided for a video editing workstation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 16, 2019 Jun 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Warren+Heaton  wrote

Overclocking should be avoided for a video editing workstation.

I'd question that statement and have plenty of years of experience to defend my position.  I've OC'd every processor I've ever run Premiere on, and I've never had an issue with it.  Proper overclocking with appropriate over-volting AND cooling is perfectly fine for a video editing workstation.  And it will speed things up quite a bit, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• I've OC'd every processor I've ever run Premiere on, and I've never had an issue with it. 
  • Proper overclocking with appropriate over-volting AND cooling is perfectly fine for a video editing workstation. 
  • And it will speed things up quite a bit, too.

Said the dude that takes high speed turns on the track with his overclocked 'Vette. LOL.

KM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin-Monahan  wrote

Said the dude that takes high speed turns on the track with his overclocked 'Vette. LOL.

Hey!  It's not my fault you like experiencing race tracks in slow motion... 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Never said I liked it. However, I keep buying cars that are slower and older. Not very smart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do ya know... Tried continuing project... Save crash... what the actual fuh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines