• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

USB 3.1 good for Cache & Scratch?`

Enthusiast ,
Apr 06, 2019 Apr 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my OS and programs on an NVME. I will have another NVME one day for projects and assets.

Right now I have my projects on a new SSD. I have my scrach/media cache on an old SSD but I'm afraid that SSD has issues so I'm thinking about trashing it and replacing it with a new one. I have 4 USB 3.1 ports. So I'm wondering, would be better performance to use a large 3.1 flash drive for scratch and cache so I don't use/wear out an SSD?

Lastly, is it better to have the scratch/media on the fastest drive or the assets/projects on the fastest drive?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hardware expert Bill Gehrke​, concluded using all files on one NVME is almost as fast as you can go, so I would have them all on that for now. Then when you get the second one, put your project and media on that drive and leave the default (C drive) for cache, etc. You can find many of his posts and tests in the hardware forum.

Just found one of the threads: Samsung 960 Pro Speed Freaks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought it wasn't good to put scratch and/or cache on C drive. I have NVME for C drive and room for another NVME. But, I feel like I have to buy NVME Pro and get 2 TB because I work on big projects. So, I am waiting to have money for that.

I want to do what makes most sense. I currently have a 2080 Ti, i9 9900K, 64 gig RAM

For drives I'm using:

C: An older NVME 476 GB

D: NVME 1 TB reserved for virtual tours

E: 1 TB SSD for backups, scratch and cache

Z: 2 TB SSD for projects and assets

And space for another NVME drive for video (Projects or scratch cache?)

I have had a project get close to a TB while working on another large project. So, I think the next NVME may need to be 2 TB.

Right now where is it best to have my scratch and cache? and, to reiterate the question above, when I get the 3rd and last NVME is it better to use the fastest drive for scratch, cache, project, and/or assets?

Also, while we're on this, is it better to render to the same drive as the project/assets?

ssd-2-tb.jpgssd-1-tb.jpgm2-500-GB.jpgm2-1-tb-new.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 07, 2019 Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest to check the SSDs speeds and the USB 3.1 connected storage drive type and speeds because you are going to use them for caching and playback.

best

Ayman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think an internal drive is better than any external drive, regardless of type or connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really?

So you'd favor an internal 5600rpm HDD

over

an external USB 3.1 Samsung EVO SSD?

Wow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No. We're not suggesting that. It's just that the USB 3.1 interface itself has more overhead than either a SATA or a direct PCI-e connection.

And why in the world would you want to use a 5400 RPM HDD as a working media disk? You see, due to the physical limitations of spinning disks, that 5400 RPM HDD can't sustain even 135 MB/s, even on the outer tracks, and will fall off very rapidly beyond about 60% full - all the way down to less than 60 MB/s! Compare that to even a SATA SSD that can sustain well above 400 MB/s unless you have a very cheap SSD with lousy NAND chips whose sustainable transfer speed with very large transfers is no faster than most HDDs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

Right now I have NVME for OS/Programs and SSD for project and assets. I have another SSD I can use for scratch or I could use the NVME for my 360 tours but I rather keep that dedicated for 360 tours if that's possible. I can easily get another SSD or a 3.1 USB flash drive if that would be good for scratch/media cache. So, the question is, right now where is it best to have my scratch and media cache?

And when I purchase/install another NVME is it better to use the fastest drive for scratch, cache, project, and/or assets?

Also, while we're on this, is it better to render to the same drive as the project/assets?

So, in short I currently have 2 SSD's and 2 NVME's (one for OS and Programs and one for 360 tours). I can get one more SSD and/or a 3.1 USB flash drive. What's the best way to allocate the scratch, media cache, projects, assets, and renders with my current drives? And when I purchase another NVME for video production is it best to have projects/assets on NVME or SSD or scratch/media cache on NVME or NVME?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines